Our biggest challenge? Lack of imagination.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
user 37518 said:

1) First link:
They also have the potential for enhanced safety and security compared to earlier designs...SMRs can reduce a nuclear plant owner’s capital investment due.... SMRs can provide power for applications where large plants are not needed
2) Second link:
SMRs have the following potential advantages when compared with large nuclear stations... Some SMR designs potentially offer significant safety advantages...
3) Third link:
We are an association that since 1962 has represented the interests of the Spanish nuclear industry and we support our partners in achieving their commercial and business objectives...
Uh huh.

4) Forth link:
Seems to be an article quoting from a John Wheeler at thisweekinnuclear.com, which is a parked domain and provides no sources.
5) Fifth link: a link to a Stanford homework assignment: following the quotes you provided, links to an article from Sharryn Dotson, "The Promise of Small Modular Reactors".  From her bio:
Sharryn graduated from Wayne State University in Detroit, Mich. In 2006 with a B.A. in journalism.
6) Sixth link:
Here, Vincent Zabielski, senior lawyer at Pillsbury Shaw Pittman, looks at what the future might hold for SMRs.
Indeed.

7) Seventh link:
Generally, modern small reactors for power generation, and especially SMRs, are expected to have greater simplicity of design, economy of series production largely in factories, short construction times, and reduced siting costs. Most are also designed for a high level of passive or inherent safety in the event of malfunction...

I don't need Google links to speculative articles:  let me restate...do you know of anyone who has officially vetted these claims and published their findings?

living sounds said:
Again, not true. Scholars in ancient Greece were well aware that the earth must be spherical and this was overwhelmingly accepted among them during the middle ages.
Those ancient Greeks sound pretty smart... They seem to have lost a step over the centuries compared to their neighbors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth
so nobody thought the earth was flat?
The scientific method is only a few hundred years old, so it's a non sequitor (to say the least) to invoke a "scientific consensus" for pre-scientific times.
Copernicus went against dogma in the 1500 when he declared the Sun was the center of the universe. Perhaps it was more religious consensus than scientific consensus... but climate change being an existential threat seems almost religious (IMO). If you don't believe you are stupid and immature.
To be blunt, denying anthropogenic climate change today is orders of magnitude more stupid and immature than medieval people denying heliocentrism and the spherical earth, because science and technology are so much more advanced, the means of information (at least in principle) are so much improved and the political systems (at least in western democracies) are designed to allow for a scientific consensus to emerge based on fact rather than fiction.

you wouldn't be calling me stupid and immature would you? While you are setting up another straw man... I didn't deny "anthropogenic climate change "... who cares.? it doesn't matter when the temperature change is so small, and the proposed economic cost of remedies so drastic.

You can still choose to follow the religion of eternal economic growth in a finite world. But be prepared that history will not remember you kindly.
I suspect history will get a good laugh out of how the politicians manipulated the public with this scam (its about power not temperature). 

So far the world has not run out of economic growth, or food for the growing population despite doomsday arm wavers about that too...

I'll take my chances with history...

JR

Matador said:
1) First link:2) Second link:3) Third link:Uh huh.

4) Forth link:
Seems to be an article quoting from a John Wheeler at thisweekinnuclear.com, which is a parked domain and provides no sources.
5) Fifth link: a link to a Stanford homework assignment: following the quotes you provided, links to an article from Sharryn Dotson, "The Promise of Small Modular Reactors".  From her bio:6) Sixth link:Indeed.

7) Seventh link:
I don't need Google links to speculative articles:  let me restate...do you know of anyone who has officially vetted these claims and published their findings?

The first link is from the department of energy of the US, the 'homework' you mention is from a former PhD student in Stanford published on Standford's webpage, Its not like I am using reddit as a source.

You asked for sources, I provided them, If you expect me to go to Google scholar and read peer reviewed scientific journals to give you some peace of mind, I won't do it, I have my own PhD to complete, I am not THAT interested on small nuclear reactors, I don't think the general consensus on the internet is a conspiracy theory to promote small modular nuclear reactors based on fiction or lies.

However, you are free to research peer reviewed journals and disprove those arguments, in which case I am interested on what you have to say.

user 37518 said:
I'll tell you something, from all these years that I've been an academic, I've found that there is this misconception that the scientific method and science in general is infalible, it is not, it only serves as a way to prove a certain theory or explain something, it doesn't mean that it is the truth or that its infalible or even that it is universal, let me give you an example, the scientific method proved Newton's law of gravity, it proved it, years later it turned out that Newton's law of gravity wasn't entirely correct, it was a special case of Einstein's theory of general relativity, does that mean that Newton's law is not useful? no, Newton's law of gravity is what took the first rocket to the moon, but in the bigger picture there is a bigger truth and that is Einstein's theory of relativity.

There is this famous paper by lord Kelvin in the 1800's which was titled something like "The dark clouds of physics", in it, Kelvin argued that the human race had already figured out in its entirety how physics work, we had Netwon's laws, Maxwell Equations, the laws of thermodynamics, etc... with the exception of 2 things, which he calls the 2 dark clouds of physics, he mentions something like once these 2 dark clouds are resolved, everything would be known. The 2 dark clouds were the following: The ultraviolet catastrophe and the Michelson Moorley experiment.

First, the Ultraviolet catastrophe was solved by Max Planck and it gave birth to quantum mechanics, the Michelson Moorley experiment was explained by Einstein's laws of relativity, and both these things opened Pandora's box, not only did we realize that these were not small issues, but that all that we have known until then was wrong or at least needed revision to take into account quantum and relativistic effects. So the 2 clouds of physics literally turned into the 1 billion clouds of physics.

If you read Max Planck's biography, it is mentioned that when he talked to his PhD thesis advisor, Planck said to him that he wanted to become a theoretical physicist, and his advisor discouraged Planck by saying that the field was literally dead because there wasn't much that needed to be discovered, he adviced Planck to go into experimental physics instead but Planck refused, I bet that his advisor bit his own tongue afterwards.

Until recently it was a fact that there are 4 fundamental forces in nature: Gravity, electromagnetic force, the strong force and the weak force, everything can be explained in terms of those 4 forces, well, what do you know, it appears (I read this very recently) that in 2019 and recently updated, CERN might have discovered another 5th force. https://physicsworld.com/a/more-evidence-for-a-fifth-force-found-in-radioactive-decay-measurements/

Back again to Einsteins theory of relativity and quantum mechanics, the two of them are not in perfect agreement, for years, scientists have tried to find a unifying theory between Einstein's relativity and quantum mechanics with no luck, many theories have been proposed, but some are so abstract that it is practially impossible to prove them with experiments using the scientific method, at least not humanly possible in the present and near future. Some scientists believe there will never be a Unifiying theory.

At the beginning, scientist thought that science was a way to explain God's creation (this was Newton, Galileo, Maxwell, etc.. belief), but over years it turned into this idea that Science is the absolute truth for everything and actually used to disprove God, however Science has been proven to be wrong so many times that you can't say it is the absolute truth. A big break ocured when the world was thought as deterministic (this was in fact Newton's and Einsteins Idea), A causes B which causes C, and when quantum mechanics was discovered it turned out to be probabilistic instead (Einstein disliked this idea and spoke out with his famous quote "God does not play dice with the world"), however, I've heard interviews from Nobel physics prize winners who think there will be a return to a deterministic point of view sometime in the future. My point is that Science is not the absolute truth, weather scientists can't predict with 100% acuracy what will be the weather be next week, let alone 50 years from now, hell, they couldn't even predict that Trump was going to win when everything pointed out that Hillary was the winner.

Science and mathematics are MODELS, they are human ways of explaining the world, that is what I've found over years of learning physics, math and engineering. Some things we use in mathematics are not even real, for example the concept of infinity, infinity is not even a number,  its a concept, it wasn't until Georg Cantor formally proposed what infinity is, and in fact he proved some crazy things like there are bigger infinities than others, for example the infinite set of real numbers is bigger than the inifinite set of rational or natural numbers. We tend to think of infinity as something very large, that is not what infinity is, the most common explanation is that its something that is unbounded. However, in the physical world, nothing is unbounded, not even the universe, some physicist argue about how the universe may be infinite but it hasn't been proven, also if the universe had a begining and its expanding, then it can't be infinite.

Calculus is based on the opposite, on something infinitely small called infinitesimal, the first theorists didn't like this idea, and instad tried to justify it with something called like "exhaustion", which means that if you make things smaller than a certain level, it esscentially becaomes "exahusted" and you can consider it infinistesimal, but that is not how Calculus works!, yet if you look at nature, there is not such thing as infinitesimal, there are fundamental particles, nothing can be less than those, there is the elemental charge which is 1.602X10^-19C, no charge can be smaller than that in isolation, unless you consider quarks. So we can agree that there is nothing either inifinitesimal or infinite. The only thing that is essentially the definition of infinity is God.

I've always been a catholic, but the more I have learned about math, science and engineering, the more religious I have become among other things, I think its the ability to realize that science is not truth but it certainly looks very similar to the truth. I certainly doubt very much about science all the time, its not like I think that the world is 5000 years old, but to be so narrow minded and believe that science can explain everything, is to me, simply not true and very arrogant from our perspective.

Even the theory of evolution which some people today think of it as the Law of evolution rather than the Theory of evolution might not be entirely true, David Berlinski and many others have very solid arguments to disprove it, they mention that the theory does explain things like how some species in some areas adapt physically to their enviroment but it fails to prove the general, broader picture. There is something called the Wallace problem which evolutionary scientists haven't been able to disprove, Wallace was a contemporary of Darwin, and basically argued something of the like (I am quoting Berlinski on Wallace): Suppose you take an isolated tribe from the Amazon, you take a 6 month old baby from a family of hunters of that tribe and you take the baby to the UK and you give the baby an English education, after some years, the baby, now a man will be indistiguishable from all other graduates of say Oxford, he will be able to speak english, do math, literature, dance, every other thing that any other human being could, but why? if he was part of the Amazon and he was part of a hunter tribe, why can he exihibit traits that are not relevant to his enviroment? why does he has these other 'hidden' traits that all human beings seem to have? afterall, knowing math is not relevant to his survival or relevant to becoming a hunter in the Amazon. There is also the fact that we are the only type of creature in the world, there is no other like us, to attribute that to only chance and adaptation is highly unlikely, Now, I am not saying I do not believe on Darwin's theory, but I want to emphasize it is just that, a Theory.

I wouldn't be surprised that the theory of evolution and many other things that we take for granted now are disproven or replaced by a better theory in the future.

I agree with Jordan Peterson (and Dyson also speaks of this) when he says that climate models are so unpredictable from the start and that they have so much error that when you project into the future 50 years from now, the uncertainty is extremely high, so how can you take actions to prevent climate change if you can't even measure or project with certainty what the results will be of taking such actions?

A common story regards what Bob Pease thought (hated actually) about spice, he said that spice lies, even if its based on all the physics theory, some argue that it is the lack of better models, etc... but the point is that what math and science predicts is sometimes very different from reality, there is this famous picture of Pease throwing a computer from the roof of National Semiconductor claiming "This computer won't lie to me again"

PeaseHurl.jpg

The scientific method ultimately delivers. The way can be messy, individuals can (and will) be wrong, and philosophically there is never an ultimate truth.

But the scientific consensus on climate change does not come from a few models. It derives from a vast amount of research from a multitude of scientific disciplines. The only reason why it is controversial (outside the scientific arena, where - again - it is the overwhelming consensus) is because it does clash with many peoples ideology and many corporations short-term interests.

But the topic of this thread was not about climate change.

living sounds said:
The scientific method ultimately delivers. The way can be messy, individuals can (and will) be wrong, and philosophically there is never an ultimate truth.

But the scientific consensus on climate change does not come from a few models. It derives from a vast amount of research from a multitude of scientific disciplines. The only reason why it is controversial (outside the scientific arena, where - again - it is the overwhelming consensus) is because it does clash with many peoples ideology and many corporations short-term interests.

But the topic of this thread was not about climate change.

No, the scientific method does not ultimately delivers, it hasn't delivered a proof of string theory, loop  quantum gravity, the origin of the big bang, the theory of evolution, it can't disprove if there exist a magnetic monopole or not (people are still looking), it can't prove what is the source of gravity, yes mass has a relationship with gravity but they have been looking for the graviton without any success, so they can explain how gravity acts but not how it is created, the speed of light is believed to be the maximum speed of information transfer, however some scientists have discovered neutrinos which travel faster than the speed of light, many are not willing to publish their findings because it is considered taboo or becuase some other scientists have claimed to disprove it, it can't prove or deny the existance of God or the supernatural, it can't prove what is concience, and many others.

There was an overwhelming consensus that Aether existed, that changed, today the consensus is that it doesn't exist. At some point it was consensus that electric current flowed from positive to negative, later it was found to be the opposite, yet they retained the original, thust the terms electron flow and conventional flow to refer to electric current in a circuit, consensus does not mean truth.

I heard someone say that being wrong feels the same as being right.

No one is denying that the climate is changing and that the temperature is rising, or even if humans have contributed, all that is true, what is not determined is the impact of those things or if we can even reduce it.

If you are upset that we went off-topic, then you shouldn't be talking about Greta Thunberg which is a climate change advocate, posting charts of Germany's power resources, etc... and stick to your green earth topic.

And let me just add, saying that Our biggest challenge is a lack of imagination, and it has to do with making the earth greener is extremely narrow minded and somehow insulting, its a rich first world country point of view, if your biggest problem is making the earth greener its because all of your problems and needs are covered, look at Africa, and many of the world's population, there are bigger problems than planting grass in the desert because it looks ugly, you should be worrying about how to take the majority of population out of poverty and malnutrition, it is estimated by the UN that by 2030 Congo and Nigeria alone will make up 40% of the worlds population living in extreme poverty conditions, that is a bigger challenge rather than gardening.

user 37518 said:
No, the scientific method does not ultimately delivers, it hasn't delivered a proof of string theory, loop  quantum gravity, the origin of the big bang, the theory of evolution, it can't disprove if there exist a magnetic monopole or not (people are still looking), it can't prove what is the source of gravity, yes mass has a relationship with gravity but they have been looking for the graviton without any success, so they can explain how gravity acts but not how it is created, the speed of light is believed to be the maximum speed of information transfer, however some scientists have discovered neutrinos which travel faster than the speed of light, many are not willing to publish their findings because it is considered taboo or becuase some other scientists have claimed to disprove it, it can't prove or deny the existance of God or the supernatural, it can't prove what is concience, and many others.

There was an overwhelming consensus that Aether existed, that changed, today the consensus is that it doesn't exist. At some point it was consensus that electric current flowed from positive to negative, later it was found to be the opposite, yet they retained the original, thust the terms electron flow and conventional flow to refer to electric current in a circuit, consensus does not mean truth.

I heard someone say that being wrong feels the same as being right.

No one is denying that the climate is changing and that the temperature is rising, or even if humans have contributed, all that is true, what is not determined is the impact of those things or if we can even reduce it.

If you are upset that we went off-topic, then you shouldn't be talking about Greta Thunberg which is a climate change advocate, posting charts of Germany's power resources, etc... and stick to your green earth topic.

And let me just add, saying that Our biggest challenge is a lack of imagination, and it has to do with making the earth greener is extremely narrow minded and somehow insulting, its a rich first world country point of view, if your biggest problem is making the earth greener its because all of your problems and needs are covered, look at Africa, and many of the world's population, there are bigger problems than planting grass in the desert because it looks ugly, you should be worrying about how to take the majority of population out of poverty and malnutrition, instead of gardening.

Science delivers if the question is within the scope of science. Proving or disproving the existence of a god is outside its scope, it's a non sequitor as far as science is concerned. String theory might be outside the scope of science (the jury is still out though). There is overwhelming proof that the theory of evolution is generally correct.

We're far from the end of the journey of discovery. What is clear that the scientific method is the right tool to solve mysteries (which very often lead to new mysteries).

BTW, science can go a long way to explain why there is a tendency to belief in the supernatural.

"Aether" wasn't based on facts but from misapplication of one domain to another domain. It's not an appropriate analogy to argue against anthropomorphic climate change.

As for the nomination in electronics, again, that's a complete non sequitor here.

I'm not upset easily, no worries. ;-)

Rich first world countries can cope much better with climate change. It's the poor countries that lie in the zone that will be uninhabitable very soon that bear the brunt of it. Poor people can not afford to think long term, but they will suffer for it nevertheless.

And I think you misunderstand the scope and importance of the re-greening project. It has nothing to do with gardening. It is a pretty far-reaching long-term solution of transforming land inhospitable due to antropogenic climate change (humans cutting down trees a long time ago) into space that can acomodate life, retain a working ecosystem and even balance out the climate on a larger scale.

JohnRoberts said:
Those ancient Greeks sound pretty smart... They seem to have lost a step over the centuries compared to their neighbors.so nobody thought the earth was flat? Copernicus went against dogma in the 1500 when he declared the Sun was the center of the universe. Perhaps it was more religious consensus than scientific consensus... but climate change being an existential threat seems almost religious (IMO). If you don't believe you are stupid and immature.
you wouldn't be calling me stupid and immature would you? While you are setting up another straw man... I didn't deny "anthropogenic climate change "... who cares.? it doesn't matter when the temperature change is so small, and the proposed economic cost of remedies so drastic.

I suspect history will get a good laugh out of how the politicians manipulated the public with this scam (its about power not temperature). 

So far the world has not run out of economic growth, or food for the growing population despite doomsday arm wavers about that too...

I'll take my chances with history...

JR

It wasn't the scientific consensus as you claimed. Climate science is not dogma. That's a huge misunderstanding.

I won't change your mind. But I will call out your anti-science posts relentlessly.

living sounds said:
Science delivers if the question is within the scope of science. Proving or disproving the existence of a god is outside its scope, it's a non sequitor as far as science is concerned. String theory might be outside the scope of science (the jury is still out though). There is overwhelming proof that the theory of evolution is generally correct.

Many people think everything is within the scope of science, calling string theory out of the scope of science is extremely convenient since it is a theory based on science. Regarding the theory of evolution, there is also overwhelming proof that is not generally correct (I can provide some references if you are interested, BTW I don't think you read my previous post were I discussed this), it is correct to predict mutations due to enviroment adaptation of some species, but saying that humans are how they are due to random mutation and probability and extending our ancesters as far back as amoeba in the ocean is a different thing that hasn't been proven.

We're far from the end of the journey of discovery. What is clear that the scientific method is the right tool to solve mysteries (which very often lead to new mysteries).
Iam not saying its not the right tool, I am saying that its not perfect

BTW, science can go a long way to explain why there is a tendency to belief in the supernatural.
Explaining something is very different from proving it or disproving it.

"Aether" wasn't based on facts but from misapplication of one domain to another domain. It's not an appropriate analogy to argue against anthropomorphic climate change.

Maxwell, Faraday, Tesla and even Einstein would disagree with you, in fact one of the least known quotes from Einstein himself in 1920 after ether was disproven (around 1905) is: "Recapitulating, we may say that according to the general theory of relativity space is endowed with physical qualities; in this sense, therefore, there exists an ether. According to the general theory of relativity space without ether is unthinkable; for in such space there not only would be no propagation of light, but also no possibility of existence for standards of space and time …".

This is the guy who's theory disproved ether speaking in favour of ether, so yeah, I believe its a perfect analogy.

Do I believe in ether? I'm just going to say that I'm not entirely closed to the idea. This is typical of science, old ideas which are rejected suddenly come back, take for example Newton's idea of light being made of corpuscles, it was rejected after Young found it was a wave in the 19th century plus Maxwell's theory proved it is an electromagnetic wave, then Einstein proposed the photon which somehow agrees with Newton's original idea, so Newton wasn't wrong after all.

Back to climate, this is one of Kelvin's ideas according to Wikipedia "In 1898, Kelvin predicted that only 400 years of oxygen supply remained on the planet, due to the rate of burning combustibles.[91][92] In his calculation, Kelvin assumed that photosynthesis was the only source of free oxygen; he did not know all of the components of the oxygen cycle.[dubious – discuss] He could not even have known all of the sources of photosynthesis: for example the cyanobacterium Prochlorococcus—which accounts for more than half of marine photosynthesis—was not discovered until 1986.\"

Science, scientists and specially predictions can and usually are wrong, deal with it.

Rich first world countries can cope much better with climate change. It's the poor countries that lie in the zone that will be uninhabitable very soon that bear the brunt of it. Poor people can not afford to think long term, but they will suffer for it nevertheless.
Yes, but their efforts should be to solve more important problems first, if people are starving they don't care about the enviroment, those efforts you are arguing should be focused towards eliminating poverty.

And I think you misunderstand the scope and importance of the re-greening project. It has nothing to do with gardening. It is a pretty far-reaching long-term solution of transforming land inhospitable due to antropogenic climate change (humans cutting down trees a long time ago) into space that can acomodate life, retain a working ecosystem and even balance out the climate on a larger scale.

I do not misunderstand the scope, I agree it is something important, but calling it "Our biggest challenge" is plain absurd.

living sounds said:
It wasn't the scientific consensus as you claimed. Climate science is not dogma. That's a huge misunderstanding.
always putting words in my mouth....

Climate science even has "science" in it's name.  It's the expensive and ineffective proposed remedies for climate change that I strongly disagree with. Even their own experts concede that it won't do anything significant, even if we went to zero carbon immediately (of course we would have to stop breathing out CO2)
I won't change your mind. But I will call out your anti-science posts relentlessly.
Keep trying... 

I am not anti-science, but anti BS politics (and anti bad science, lots of that around this topic).

JR

JohnRoberts said:
always putting words in my mouth....

Climate science even has "science" in it's name.  It's the expensive and ineffective proposed remedies for climate change that I strongly disagree with. Even their own experts concede that it won't do anything significant, even if we went to zero carbon immediately (of course we would have to stop breathing out CO2) Keep trying... 

Absolutely agree

On a different note, I read this from a comment on a YouTube video which I found interesting but do take it with a grain of salt, some guy says that we should gather all the space junk, which we will have to do eventually anyway, then somehow shred the aluminum and components and place them in a certain orbit, these materials would serve as a reflectant and reduce sun light for like 0.01% or something like that, a minute amount, but he argued that would be enough to combat global warming. I know it sounds like fiction but I found it interesting and creative.

There's a lot more cleaning up to do before we start worrying about CO2. Plastics, fi.

Recent research shows an average of 55 man-made compounds in US children's bodies. 44 of those can't even be traced back to the source. Some have their origin with the military apparatus, others with the oil industry.

https://truthout.org/articles/evidence-of-fracking-chemicals-found-in-bodies-of-pennsylvania-children/

AFFF is a foaming additive to water used for putting out fire. When it was discovered it was nearly impossible to destroy, recycle, or get rid of any other way, the pentagon decided to burn it. Imagine trying to burn an indestructible molecule...

Fire fighters were routinely told "it was as safe as soap".

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/25/us-military-toxic-chemicals-us-states

You can add hundreds of other toxic chemicals and the drinking water being polluted with lead in over a thousand communities. We've known lead to be toxic for over a thousand years, yet we still forget, or ignore it.

The one drive for this is profit. Each and every time again. So I'd like to sea some serious research that goes into the safety aspect of small nuclear reactors. Not from manufacturers or some industry lobbying group. Their only intrest is: making money. Safety doesn't have a ROI.

Matt Nolan said:
In which case, if it is true, the patent protection will soon expire and we can all build these wonder batteries  :)
This is a variant on an old urban myth... The original myth was that somebody invented an automobile engine that delivered incredible gas mileage and Detroit spiked it.

Same myth just upgraded for EVs....

JR

JohnRoberts said:
This is a variant on an old urban myth... The original myth was that somebody invented an automobile engine that delivered incredible gas mileage and Detroit spiked it.

Same myth just upgraded for EVs....

JR

Well it doesn't seem to be a myth the guy was interviewed seems to have his own company, he doesn't seem to be some bogus arm chair quasi scientist from the internet, and I can't even remember if it was the patent or the product itself that Texaco bought, Im not a lawyer, and like I said, It's been so long...

user 37518 said:
You asked for sources, I provided them, If you expect me to go to Google scholar and read peer reviewed scientific journals to give you some peace of mind, I won't do it
I asked for primary sources: much of the information I have come across is completely speculative, and I was interested if you have come across anything where the claims were investigated in more detail.

I appear to have my answer.  8)

Matador said:
I asked for primary sources: much of the information I have come across is completely speculative, and I was interested if you have come across anything where the claims were investigated in more detail.

I appear to have my answer.  8)

Ok so becuase the information was speculative you dismissed it and are ok with it? if you are so interested go ahead, do your own "serious" research, read some papers and instruct us.

user 37518 said:
Ok so becuase the information was speculative you dismissed it and are ok with it? if you are so interested go ahead, do your own "serious" research, read some papers and instruct us.
I didn't dismiss it, I weighed it appropriately (and I even agree with the fact that it's highly likely that mass production / economies of scale would be a big benefit of SMR's).

I'm confused why you seem to be applying two standards of proof:  when a group of subject matter experts "predict" the ramifications of climate change, it's:

user 37518 said:
Science, scientists and specially predictions can and usually are wrong, deal with it.
But then you provide links to articles by a lawyer and a journalist who "predict" the safety, cost, and proliferation benefits of a new reactor technology, and that is somehow very compelling?

Even if SMR's can realize every speculative benefit, it's hard to argue against the economic trajectory of renewables, especially given the massive investments being made by China.  In fact, IEEE has been saturated with papers coming out of China showing that over the last 5 years, they've driven down the LCOE (Levelized cost of energy, which includes installation and future maintenence) by over 60% just due to scaling up production (subsidized, of course).  I can't see nuclear keeping pace with that trajectory, regardless of the size of the reactors.

Latest posts

Back