Par Metal ?!?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been close a few times as well...but Echo is bang on, the initial cost is daunting. However having the CNC and all...this is definitely something I'm still working towards, just need to raise the funds.

JohnRoberts said:
Just this morning I got an email in my inbox from a Chinese metal factory with 300 employees.  8)

I did a proto-type run of enclosures from china a few years back.  I hated them.  The holes didn't line up, they were just poor quality.  I'm super picky though.

JohnRoberts said:
It seems a generic 1u, 2u, 3u series of metal chassis could sell enough to justify tooling up, but you still have a significant investment to buy even a hundred of each size.

At 100pcs a basic version of my 2U w/ rails would sell for more than people would want to pay.  I'd need to get into 200-300 to make it get closer to competitive.  Of course then I'd need to order 1U, 2U,3U, silver front, black front and you can see where it get's crazy.  Suddenly I'd have all of my capital tied up in the hope that people like a nicely manufactured enclosure as much as I do.

At least now I can refer to this post next time I think "why don't I offer a basic chassis?".  ;)

Mike

I used to buy cases from a local store Active Electronics but they closed! a case would cost me 45$ for a 1U and 50$ for a 2U.
Now i turned to rpelectronics.com and prices are not that different but shipping adds a bit though..

I have never bought sheet metal from China, but i did have a plastic injection molding tool base machined there and once we get on the same page regarding the 3D cad software exchange files, the results were satisfactory (I also worked with an experienced plastic guy as the go between).

I know another small company that sourced sheet metal from China and were satisfied with the result. As i recall there were a few minor issues at first regarding communication of colors and finish, but with well defined metal design using a common CAD system the holes will be the right size and in the right places. Even the Chinese can't (or shouldn't) screw that up. What is left is effectively communicating the details not defined in the design documentation.

I am not suggesting anybody do anything...  Support your local metal knocker if you have one you like and trust..

JR

Ptownkid said:
Yeah, protocase is ridiculous...i designed a chassis once and it was around $200...

That really isn't that bad is it? I mean with all the holes you need for the PCB, the silkscreen, (well I think thats another 100$ but only something like 10$ for the next ones). IDK depends on their quality. I loved Anteks power transformers, and their cases were ok.

Hopefully they get everything worked out.

emrr said:
We also have Collective Cases and Dan's cases here, if they suit.  Maybe an opening for them to expand a bit. 

I've heard no statement from Par-Metal yet.  May be awhile even for that.

EMRR thanks for thinking of me as an option.  I didn't want to slut my stuff out until someone brought it up.  haha

I sell basic cases all the time. 

Units tall:  1u, 2u, 3u. 
Depths:  5.5", 9", 11" and 14"

I can do custom back panels and stuff like that pretty easy.  I also try and stock a number of different versions that DIY guys can use regularly.  For instance I usually stock Mono, and stereo XLR's both with IEC and Star Ground holes cut out.  I also have a number of different variations of that DB25 options and 1U cases with 8 XLR (4 channels). 

Best thing is to email me because I have so many options it is hard to keep the website up to date. 

I also try and stock Blank front panels in Aluminum and Black powder coat.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

...and Dan has project specific cases + great customer service.

I have a couple of his basic cases just waiting for me to build something in them.

Par Metal posted on their home page that they "....are currently rebuilding and will not resume business until further notice."

At least they may come back in business at some future date, but we'll just have to wait, along with their Antek transformer division.

Bri

I've ordered a few cases from web-tronics.com.  Not the best cases i've ever used but they're not terrible.  Their site looks like it's having some issues today.  But they do carry them.  That really sucks about par-metal, hope it wasn't an inside job.

> hope it wasn't an inside job.

100% speculation:

1) It was dang cold (for NJ) that day. Someone set up a heater, and something went wrong. (We had a lot of those up here last week.)

2) There's a ton of stock coming on the next ship from China; too late to stop it.

3) Idle warehouse space is easy to find in that part of NJ.

4) They've been a going business for many years.

I think by the end of the month they will have some stock and a place for UPS to stop. A few more months before everything is back in stock.

PRR said:
I think by the end of the month they will have some stock and a place for UPS to stop. A few more months before everything is back in stock.

I just talked to them on the phone this morning regarding my exchange (which is now a return), and they said it'd be about 12 weeks until they're back up and running again.

Yep, they've been at it a long time.  I wish I could get some stuff from the 1949 catalog. 

Latest posts

Back