PCBs for scalable DIY Neve style summing mixer possible feeler

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, everyone.

Just wanted to give an update that I plan on having boards made near the year's end. I've been rather busy for the last 8 months.

Thanks!

Paul
If you would like.....you could send me the PCB output GERBER and N/C Drill data files and then I could import them into my "GERBER and N/C Drill" editing software so I could review them for you. While your PCB Designer's CAD-program probably has its own "DRC" (Design Rule Check) routines, my "GERBER and N/C Drill Data" editing program has a completely set and type of "DRC" routines that are specifically geared towards > fabrication and manufacturing < !!! In other words, this second type of "DRC's" is able to find things wrong with your GERBER and N/C Drill data files that your PCB-design program cannot!!! Just a suggestion..... (NOTE: This "GERBER & N/C Drill Data" editing program that I have costs $4,200 and nobody on this site has it).

As an example.....earlier this year, one of the other members of "GroupDIY" sent me his complete set of GERBER and N/C Drill data files for an API circuit board that he was about ready to fabricate. As I was reviewing his files, he told me of some changes that he wanted to make on the SILKSCREEN layer, which I did. Then, and just for a "kick", I ran my GERBER and N/C Drill data "DRC" check on his files and.....ALL OF THESE OTHER ERRORS SHOWED UP!!! He had >>
NO IDEA << that there were these other problems!!!

His GERBER files were missing SOLDERMASK reliefs on certain transistor pads, incorrect drill sizes on others and I even straightened up a couple of the routes, where they had "acute angles" within them and I straightened them out to "orthogonal" or "perpendicular" routing. He later e-mailed me back and told me that his new run of PCBs were "Better Than Perfect" and he even mailed me 6 of the PCBs here-at-home as "souvenirs"!!! I have them right here underneath my computer monitor.

You can do as wish, but I am simply offering you a "second set" of experienced eyes on your PCB output files in order to make sure that everything is OK before you spend the money to have them fabricated. I'm just trying to help, that's all.

BEST OF LUCK!!!

JBW

/

Hello, everyone.

Just wanted to give an update that I plan on having boards made near the year's end. I've been rather busy for the last 8 months.

Thanks!

Paul
Hi Paul, any update on this? This is something I am really interested in - I would love to be able to hook in my 16 1084 channels into this then have volume, pan, mute and summing - almost like a mini console. It would also be cool to have an insert on the master/summing section that you could add a chain to process all channels together?

Last edited:
Hello, Everyone,

I haven't ordered any of the boards just yet. I've been touring and trying to finish up moving into a new studio space which the sum total of the those activities has become a net negative for my ability to get things done. But thank you for reminding me. I do need to get this done. I'll have some ordered so I can finish another studio project and let you know how many I'll have left over from the minimum order.

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited:
Finally got PCBs ordered. Probably two weeks before they arrive. I'll do a full write up on this project later. The short version is eight on board transformers and BA amplifier circuit with separate panel control board connected via 8 position ribbon cable. Multiple boards can be cascaded together. Minimal off board wiring. Adjustable trimmers for setting input drive akin how tape machines could be calibrated so that certain channels compliment different instruments' frequency response. These also be fixed resistors or wired off board for more panel control options.

Requires separate summing amplifier and PSU running 24V-48V/0V, or bipolar up to +/-24V. I've ordered a couple more than the minimum just in case their is still interest when they arrive.

Thanks!

Paul

Finally got PCBs ordered. Probably two weeks before they arrive. I'll do a full write up on this project later. The short version is eight on board transformers and BA amplifier circuit with separate panel control board connected via 8 position ribbon cable. Multiple boards can be cascaded together. Minimal off board wiring. Adjustable trimmers for setting input drive akin how tape machines could be calibrated so that certain channels compliment different instruments' frequency response. These also be fixed resistors or wired off board for more panel control options.

Requires separate summing amplifier and PSU running 24V-48V/0V, or bipolar up to +/-24V. I've ordered a couple more than the minimum just in case their is still interest when they arrive.

Thanks!

Paul

Hey Paul this sounds like great progress, thank you for keeping us updated - RE the separate summing amplifier and PSU, will these boards be available too or how do we go about implementing this section of it?

I do not have boards for the summing amps or PSU. There are already several PSU options available in White Market. For the summing amp, you can use various boards from CAPI, JLM Audio, or anyone else that offers a PCB that can be used for makeup gain. You can even use a simple IC solution that provides 20-30dB or so of gain.

Thanks!

Paul

PCBs have arrived. I have been traveling and working on other projects but I will at some point post pics. Right now I have 10 that are extra from the order I placed.

Thanks!

Paul

Congrats. Great project! Please let us know how the test of your build is going on.

PS: are you going to share your gerber files?

Here an image of boards. I will post photos of the actual boards when I get home next week.

Eight channels with input transformers mounted to the board. It has the footprint for either Carnhill VTB9045M or Ed Anderson EA-10468. The controls are inspired by the simplicity of the SPL MixDream XP that has mono/stereo switching via relays. You can add things like pan knobs and other options if you are DIY savvy. There are also optional trimmers if you want to tune individual channels akin to the lost art of calibrating tape machines to suit certain instruments and personal preferences in tone.

It was also designed to have minimal off-board wiring. There is a spot for PCB mount DB25 connector or you can use an IDC connector. A ribbon cable is used to connect the main board to the panel controls to switch relays and mount LED indicators. The LEDs can be either a common cathode dual color or individual.

I have 7 left that I know will be extra which I can sell. Depending on how my project goes I may have a couple more. Once these are gone they are gone unless there is a large interest where I would need to get take out a white market ad. $60 shipped to lower 48 plus 2.9% PayPal.

I will send build info to individuals who buy these boards.

Thanks!

Paul

Attachments

• 20XD6.png
    20XD6.png
    107.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back