Phantom power blocker for synth outputs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmaughan

I’m trying to figure out the best way to protect the outputs on a handful of analog synths. I want to run them straight to the console (through an xlr patch panel) but I’m absolutely certain I will forget to turn off phantom at some point and I would love to not blow up my synths haha. Prefer to not spend the money on xfrmrs and I’ve seen a couple simple designs that seem like they could work but I’m not certain how they may affect the sound. Any thoughts/advice are more than welcome! Thanks!

Ignoring phantom for a moment, how would you otherwise connect the various synths to your console's mic inputs? Compared to a mic or typical musical instrument, synths are neither "fish nor fowl" in terms of signal level, output impedance or ability to drive low(ish) impedance loads.

Many/most(?) desks have a mic input impedance in the 1500-2000 Ohm range, although some mic inputs are way outside that range. The signal level from a synth may exceed the abilities of a mic input. Lotsa variables here...

Bri

Since the OP didn't answer the question, I'll also ask: why connect the line out from a synth to a mic preamp, rather than a line input?

Since the OP didn't answer the question, I'll also ask: why connect the line out from a synth to a mic preamp, rather than a line input?
Good question....however, in some facilities a line input isn't "handy" in the area where the synths are set up. However, the OP mentioned having a XLR patchbay....so any given wire circuit could be used for mic or line levels into the desk. He was concerned about having a Brain Phart and making a mis-patch from a synth into a mic input with phantom active.

"Well, hell bellz boy....just don't do that!" some would say. I say "Sh!t happens..."

Bri

Good question....however, in some facilities a line input isn't "handy" in the area where the synths are set up. However, the OP mentioned having a XLR patchbay....so any given wire circuit could be used for mic or line levels into the desk. He was concerned about having a Brain Phart and making a mis-patch from a synth into a mic input with phantom active.

"Well, hell bellz boy....just don't do that!" some would say. I say "Sh!t happens..."

Bri
Yes exactly!
To answer a few of the questions that came up..
I’m fairly certain they’re all unbalanced outs.. perhaps one or two may be balanced.
And the console I’m using is a Yamaha m1516 that has a +4 line input position on the channel gain switch. Although I would probably rather run the synths output down a bit and drive the signal a bit from the channels 80200.
Each channel has two inputs..I use one for line and one for mic.. both have phantom potential. I know I’ll forget someday lol..

Latest posts

Back