PREDI’CT Build Thread (frozen)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will this power transformer work?  Project specs show 220v needs 100ma.

Primary: 2 x 115v (230v),  Secondary: 220V 50mA,  9V 1A ,    5V 0,5A

I could get the higher rated one, but it's bigger, and might not fit in a smaller case.
                                                            Secondary: 220V 0,1A,    9V 2,5A,  5V 0,5A
I'll only be powering one board.

Winetree said:
Will this power transformer work?  Project specs show 220v needs 100ma.

Primary: 2 x 115v (230v),  Secondary: 220V 50mA,  9V 1A ,    5V 0,5A

I could get the higher rated one, but it's bigger, and might not fit in a smaller case.
                                                            Secondary: 220V 0,1A,    9V 2,5A,  5V 0,5A
I'll only be powering one board.

Project specs show 200v.  I think that 220V will works good, but It's necessary to recalculate power resistors a little bit. I still did not calculate them)) Will try asap.
About current for power transformer. I think that 50mA will work. i always try to provide a clearance ;)

Hi, I got my unit working, haven't boxed it yet, but it sounds great and is dead quiet.  One issue I need to address is that I couldn't find a toroid transformer with 9VAC, but it was easy to find one with a pair of 6.3V windings.  So, I tied these 2 in series so I'm inputting 12.6VAC.  Of course, that's causing the reg to heat up more than it would with lower voltage.  I'm thinking of addressing that by strapping a 5W 7.5V zener after the rectifier diodes to dump the voltage down to what it would get with 9VAC in.
Any issues with that, or other suggestions before I get creative?
Thanks,
Warren

lumpylipton said:
Hi, I got my unit working, haven't boxed it yet, but it sounds great and is dead quiet.  One issue I need to address is that I couldn't find a toroid transformer with 9VAC, but it was easy to find one with a pair of 6.3V windings.  So, I tied these 2 in series so I'm inputting 12.6VAC.  Of course, that's causing the reg to heat up more than it would with lower voltage.  I'm thinking of addressing that by strapping a 5W 7.5V zener after the rectifier diodes to dump the voltage down to what it would get with 9VAC in.
Any issues with that, or other suggestions before I get creative?
Thanks,
Warren

Pair of 6.3V winding would be perfect! I used same in one if my building. It's Ok, did not have any overheat problems.

Just bought this case on Ebay for 30$. Dimensions is good. Will let you know if it's good enough :)

Attachments

• ebay case.png
    ebay case.png
    250.9 KB · Views: 34
Ok guys)

I use absolutely same schematic in my pcb as showed on page 6-7 of red*i thread. Nothing special! Just spend some time to read and learn, don't be lazy ;D

I create my pcb in eagle cad directly on board, I don't create sch and then make pcb from it. For me that was much more simpler.
What you should really spend some time - good pcb layout.  I spend some time and made 3 proto pcbs before I get pcb that worked properly without buzz and hum.

Check it out!

Attachments

• schem.png
    schem.png
    94.5 KB · Views: 189
dirty1_1garry said:
Ok guys)

I use absolutely same schematic in my pcb as showed on page 6-7 of red*i thread. Nothing special! Just spend some time to read and learn, don't be lazy ;D

I agree one should not be lazy. That is why I provide full schematics for all my PCB designs.  Like you, I design my PCBs directly, using FreePCB, but I then draw a complete schematic, often by hand, and make it available to everyone. I think you should do the same. Just spend some time with a pen and paper; don't be lazy  ;D

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
dirty1_1garry said:
Ok guys)

I agree one should not be lazy. That is why I provide full schematics for all my PCB designs.  Like you, I design my PCBs directly, using FreePCB, but I then draw a complete schematic, often by hand, and make it available to everyone. I think you should do the same. Just spend some time with a pen and paper; don't be lazy  ;D

Cheers

Ian

Ahhh, yes... you are right... ;D lets start with myself

Sound samples? Might build a couple of these p2p for some friends..... If that's cool? I'd love to hear opinions about this project in comparison to the reddi... Sound wise, that is.... And this compared to an ssrp style preamp using  Ian's boards? Thanks ahead of time.

Esoterimix said:
Sound samples? Might build a couple of these p2p for some friends..... If that's cool? I'd love to hear opinions about this project in comparison to the reddi... Sound wise, that is.... And this compared to an ssrp style preamp using  Ian's boards? Thanks ahead of time.

Here is a samples that I made a couple month ago:
https://yadi.sk/d/-zgPY8XyeRRrP
original unit vs predit

check it out 8)

Incredible they're sound very close and for the bonus the predi'ct are little more fatty. Very good job men.

I still haven't found a power transformer yet. It's the only thing I need to complete the unit.
U.S.A. 120volt. What's everybody using?

Update:  Ordered 2 transformers from 1st post
http://www.toroidal-transformer.com/shop/high-end-audio/power-transformers/314/2n465-powertransformer-for-tube-amps---44va-.html#.VOErclr79z-

Hey guys,

i built the PREDI´CT DI and i have to say it´s amazing. I built it for a friend who owns a muic store and plays bass and does recordings sometimes. He said it´s the secret weapon for him.

I still have some interference from the transformers but it´s more measureable then hearable. I hope this is still english :D

Thanks Garry

Attachments

• IMG_4540.JPG
    IMG_4540.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 121

Latest posts

Back