Protools 9, Finally..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep
I think i gonna buy it but I actually work whith PT 7.4 with an alphalink AD/DA and an M audio lightbridge but my latency still to high to make overdub in good condition i think to buy th HDSPe madiface ... Anyone use it ? I'm not sure if it can be better for the latency

Thanks

I just re-read it - I'm right.  It doesn't look like it will do sample accurate compensation as the scale is in milliseconds.  It is probably more than fine. 

CC

wtmnmf said:
[silent:arts] said:
but only up to 32 channels if I understand it correctly ...
I need a replacement for our G4 with 4 HD cards to have 128 MADI channels :'(
...I'm happy to toss ideas at you, if you're game  ;D
ok, I play the game ;D

wtmnmf said:
OK, you said you need a replacement. Why?  What are you trying to get that you don't have now?
Is it that you want to run PT9 and the G4 won't do it?
I don't need PT9, it will still read the sessions we do in 6.7 now.
But a G4 is VERY slow on everything with 128 channels.
main point is: I'm out of any spare G4 or parts of it.
if it fails one day, I need to replace it the same day.

wtmnmf said:
Also, what are the details as far as the chain from analog to PT?  Are you now going analog to the analog I/O cards on 4 192s? Or are you maybe coming off of a digital console using AES and would like to use MADI instead?  How many U are you using for the complete chain? I'm guessing that you're using 20U right now.
details: G4 mirrored door (4 PCI slots), HD4, 1 Sync I/O, 2 x SSL Delta Link (64 channels MADI to Pro Tools each), 2 x Glyph 103.
10U total

wtmnmf said:
I think that the same (reduced) density may be doable with Mac or PC, but it may be easier to achieve w/ a PC.  Is PC an option?
Pro Tools on a PC would be a single station in a 50+ Mac environment ...

now, toss your ideas for a replacement ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for that CC. All I have to do is type it in. That will save A lot of time. Guess I will get it then. I think I'll wait a few weeks tho. Let some of the bugs get worked out. ;)

Thanks,
John

conleycd said:
Stagefright13 said:
Hmm the salesman told me that the new ADC only works for plugins... Not hardware trips. I mostly use hardware.

John

Hey John,

I think he's wrong.  Check out page 51 on this here:

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/docs/Whats_New_in_Pro_Tools_v90_69545.pdf

CC
I think there may be some misunderstanding here. The OP was concerned with latency in overdubs. There's no way ADC can solve any problem here. That's probably what the salesman meant. Apparently ADC works for plug-ins and hardware inserts, but of course cannot compensate for ADDA conversion time and buffer latency.

I've planning to buit protools 9 system (LE) next year (for mixing only), Here's my plan :

Plan A :

1. Buy a M-Audio Light bridge (ADAT i/o) to get all 32 ch i/o from protools 9.....$  500
2. Buy 4 ADA 8000 to convert ADAT to analog for total 32 analog output.........$ 1200
3. Built simple 32 ch summing mixer..............................................................$  100
4. Protools 9...............................................................................................$  600

Total      $ 2400

Plan B:

1. Buy protools 9................................$  600
2. Buy Apogee ensemble......................$ 1800
3. Built simple 8 ch summing mixer........$    50

Total.................$2450

Help me to decide  which plan is better, ITB is not an option.

Thanks..

See if you can buy an mbox2 micro now and then with the crossgrade you might spend less than buying the full PT9.

It all depends on the amount of i/o you need. As I just mentioned in a different thread I was considering getting an ssl XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX. You can get it in a 2000euro bundle with the necessary PCIe card. 
There are a lot of options open now that PT accepts ASIO and CoreAudio.

Rob

SSL XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX is great, buti think that's out of my tight budget. I have digi002, i'm not sure how to trade it off with protools 9.

You should be eligible for the crossgrade already then. All you need is a current version of ProTools and the serial number from a digidesign or M-Audio hardware.
Though if you sold the 002 the buyer wouldn't be able to use it to buy a crossgrade.

Rob

RAM said:
You should be eligible for the crossgrade already then. All you need is a current version of ProTools and the serial number from a digidesign or M-Audio hardware.
Though if you sold the 002 the buyer wouldn't be able to use it to buy a crossgrade.

Rob
So second-hand Digi hardware is gonna be like company shares, a price with and a price without coupon attached...

Simonsez: the hardware serial number should be on the back of the 002. So you should still be able to use it to crossgrade. Unless the previous owner recorded the hardware serial number and got there before you. But I find this unlikely. Just make sure you have the serial number before purchasing the crossgrade, obviously.

abbey road d enfer said:
So second-hand Digi hardware is gonna be like company shares, a price with and a price without coupon attached...

That's only providing the seller is honest enough to inform you that you can't use the hardware to crossgrade as it has already been used.

Rob

abbey road d enfer said:
conleycd said:
Stagefright13 said:
Hmm the salesman told me that the new ADC only works for plugins... Not hardware trips. I mostly use hardware.

John

Hey John,

I think he's wrong.  Check out page 51 on this here:

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/docs/Whats_New_in_Pro_Tools_v90_69545.pdf

CC
I think there may be some misunderstanding here. The OP was concerned with latency in overdubs. There's no way ADC can solve any problem here. That's probably what the salesman meant. Apparently ADC works for plug-ins and hardware inserts, but of course cannot compensate for ADDA conversion time and buffer latency.

Right.  I was talking about hardware ADC inserts for the purposes of mixing being delay compensated in PT 9. 

The only way to overcome latency in overdubs is to run at low buffers... But to be honest I usually just monitor direct (just the hardware direct monitoring) with my recording interface and mute the channel that I'm recording (so I don't hear it back delayed).

Maybe if was working more with others - I might be be motivated to "pretty-up" the monitor mix with some fx (some verb or compression).  But bone dry is good for me...

CC

In the I/O section in PT9 there IS a hardware compensation tab.  I believe you need to calculate the ms to samples then set the delay on your PT outputs and everything should be fine.  I've done this once before when I was using an insert to play a synth module through that we didnt want to print to a track.  (the offset was so miniscule, but i guess if you have another AD stage or something thats really latent it could be a problem)

Easiest (but not as accurate) way to do this is to have a PT track with a very sharp pulse go out to your hardware and bring it back in on another audio track.  Look at the original wave form and start nudging the new track to match the old can add up all your nudge values.  I wouldn't recommend this is you think youre going to be dealing with phase issues over the tracks.

Latest posts

Back