ps for G7 : supplyvoltages quite low : why , any loss?

nashkato

well , i got 2 capsules from dale (they sound great, like them better than the sparepart ck12 from akg).

in my ps i got 125 V loaded on the anode of the ef86. i know 20% tolerance in tubegear is usual and mine isn´t far away from that border and the mic works as far as i can say well ,too.

-are there any problems in running the mic permanently with this voltages.?

-how could i rise the current.? (already did the 5K suggestion)

-why is it that low.? (it´s a double ps and the second one has better voltages (about 150 V loaded) it´s the same 9V toroid running into 2 different 15V toroids(one has got 7,5VA the other 3,2VA) are there that great tolerances in manufacturing?)(supply from the power station?)

steppenwolf

Hi!

I experienced similar things when using back to back transformer configuration.
I once bought two 10VA 230-12V trannies of the same brand and wired them back to back.230-12 into the 12V secondary of the second one and I got out 220V aprox. I had another transformer laying around that was 230-12V, too but a different manufacturer. I hooked it up the same way and I got out 180V. I think that back to back just isn't so well calculable when you use transformers not made for that purpose...
My suggestion is to use a 12V-230 tranny instead of the 15V-230V configuration. This should rise your voltages!

Have a nice day!
Stefan

Gus

Do a search for G7 power supply this seems to be a common problem. I am not a fan of back to back transformers.

steppenwolf

Me, too!
There are several manufacturers of custom transformers that don't take too much money from you and you can specify the secondary voltages!
Greets

MrZpliff

It seems toroidal transformers works better backwards.... :?

I had the same problem with my G7-psu. Not enough voltage, though the transformer had the right specs. Changed it to a 15V toroidal and no problem !

Gus

I don't think it has anything to do with the core shape.

If I cared I would measure the transformers that work and find
The real VA rating
heat rise differences
wire size and/or resistance