PSU for tube line amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
> Any and all comments are welcome.

It is unlikely you can get regulated and clean 12VDC from 12VAC.

And if you know how many tubes you are going to use, regulation is not needed. Replace the regulator with a resistor.

[quote author="PRR"]> Any and all comments are welcome.

It is unlikely you can get regulated and clean 12VDC from 12VAC.

And if you know how many tubes you are going to use, regulation is not needed. Replace the regulator with a resistor.[/quote]

Paul what's the disadvantage of using a tube regulator rather than a chip? Less stable, less reliable? or is it that they're just less common and perhaps more expensive?

> what's the disadvantage of using a tube regulator rather than a chip?

bigugly's plan shows a regulator on the heaters. 12V at (say) 0.3Amps is a heroic job for bottles.

bigugly shows no regulator on the high voltage, so I did not comment; but think that HV regulation for tubes is often pointless.

How many of you have actually used half of the split primary as a high-voltage coil? I've done it once, in a tube mike power supply that required very little current. I would be curious to hear anecdotes about the practical limitations of current output, both from the low-voltage and high-voltage taps, relative to the nominal rating of the transformer. I would probably not even try it for any kind of power amp. I also wonder what the transformer manufacturer would have to say about it.

Latest posts

Back