Put Politics/Religion/Hot Topics into Private Forum

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you like to see politics/religion debate spun into a new private opt-in forum?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I will say that all this navel-gazing has really put me off the Brewery--much more than any political disagreements ever did. Maybe that is the secret to taming the talk in the Brewery--lots of banal introspection.

There are seemingly endless online spaces to espouse these other ideas (or rail against them, whatever the case may be), so why does it also need to have a place on a DIY audio electronics forum, or a home brewing forum, or a deep sea fishing forum, or whatever? The only possible answer I can see is to diversify the site's content to increase traffic,
Of course. This forum is a commercial operation

Ignore is your friend. Super easy to opt out of the Brewery completely (just mark that sub forum as ignored), or just ignore posters you aren't interested in reading. It works wonders!

I just wish I could ignore moderators as well, but that option isn't there. We are forced to read whatever they write.

Ive brought plenty of difficult subjects to the brewery over the years , without major arguments breaking out .
Im not fishing for people to argue or agree with ,
Just stating my point of view , you can read it if you choose or not ,

Along with the internet has evolved this idea that people have a god given right not to be offended by anything they read or be sheltered from difficult
subject matter . Its like creating a bubble to exist in away from all the real world issues we face everyday in life .

I often have chats with my dad about politics and religion , for years my brother would escalate these into full on arguments .
Nowadays when I have difficult stuff to hack out with my dad , we head off in the car , park up and take a long walk , it doesnt make the subject matter
any easier to deal with , what Im saying is Ive learned to pick a good time and place to haves these discussions , not in his place or mine , neutral territory ,
definately avoid such situations when someone is behind the wheel of a car .

There are always a few who seem to thrive on escalating disagrements to the point of personal insult , I may agree or dissagree with their basic point ,but if its only an invitation to the argument clinic I wont take the bait .

As far as making a new hard line authoritarian rule book that changes the ecosystem thats evolved here , its a mistake in my view and would only serve to set us further apart . Look at whats happened to democracy because of the internet , its like a hung jury now , close to 50/50 where the 'Nation builders' trump the divided public and get their way .Lets face it the so called free internet has turned many into lemmings , forced either side of an imaginary divide .
Dont take that bait .

My guess is JR just wanted to sound out and get a general measure of his approval rating by tableing a vote of confidence .

In Ireland just now the rulling coalitions popularity has tanked , the prime ministers party holds around 15% of the popular vote , he's deeply unpopular with anyone other than the well heeled Dublin 4 set , in fact in the leadership battle Varadkar only got a 20% approval rating from his party , the other candidate who lost had 80% of the overall party vote , but it was the vote of a few hundred elected representatives that counts , wheres the democracy in that ?

Either way theirs a simmering anger building here in the people who didnt get the entitlement to an education because of a class system /aparthide which goes back generations to the foundation of the state . Sinn Fein are miles ahead and about to overtake the combined popularity of the ruling parties , the more they hang onto power and resist the more they drive people into the arms of Irish republicanism .
The spit lick politicians who ushered in the social media giants have a palpable sense of impending doom and can now see it for the double edged sword it really is .
Ive always been highly sceptical of Social media entities true agenda and it turns out my instincts have been proved very correct , where the f#$k is Bono the activist on this subject , quiet so as not to upset his shareholdings in FB ,thats what .

Seeing the usual suspects post, my 50c:
Although JR has it all wrong about politics (double;)), he´s a top quality moderator, having him step down would leave a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Re: Pucho, I´m not "old guard" or anything and a very ephemeral appearance on here, but I wouldn´t lose a single word if I thought like "these guys (including girls OF COURSE) suck, I don´t care a bit for them". Having gotten so much help and advice here, is what really counts for me.

If I dislike the brewery, I can always stay away?

JR is and always has been an asset on this forum whether you agree or disagree with his politics. I hope he sticks around despite the few intolerant members who whine about his efforts to herd cats and help with technical discussions. The real world (tm) is not about safe spaces, free help, and interactions only with that people you "like."

I don't understand at all this talk about JR potentially stepping down as moderator and what this has to do with the questions of political topics. I agree he does a great job as a moderator.
John posted a poll yesterday (somewhat tongue-in-cheek I think) asking for feedback on his moderation style. Very shortly after it was posted it disappeared and this thread appeared, initiated by a royal moderator, so I asked about the disappearance of his poll, as the two seemed to be related, at least temporally. No answer of course, and then a sticky appeared asking for donations, which has now also disappeared.

It's all OK by me, and I really have no say in the matters here as I don't do much electronics-wise any more and don't make any worthwhile contributions to the forum at this point. But the brewery was a great place to watch the evolution of pandemic opinions and I enjoyed that.

JR is and always has been an asset on this forum whether you agree or disagree with his politics. I hope he sticks around despite the few intolerant members who whine about his efforts to herd cats and help with technical discussions. The real world (tm) is not about safe spaces, free help, and interactions only with that people you "like."
So when you are chillin at the beach you are happy to be surrounded by people that are screaming about the latest mess up by the American government ?

That would be a very noisy real world

So when you are chillin at the beach you are happy to be surrounded by people that are screaming about the latest mess up by the American government ?

That would be a very noisy real world
The beach is big and wide. Move down the beach from people if they bother you. You don't own the beach nor can you control other people. Unlike actual speech at the beach, the messages posted here make no sound and can easily be ignored. Don't want to "hear" them? Don't read them. Stop trying to police other people. Simple.

Mr. Soundwaves and Mr. JohnRoberts,

There was a thread going on called "the brewery is not universally loved because......"

In that thread many people, including myself were voicing their opinion and sharing their views respectfully on why the Politics/Religion/Sociologic discussions in the Brewery were affecting negatively the GroupDIY forum and this community.
It was also explained by me, why I think the negative effects of those discussions were spreading the whole forum, and were impossible to ignore even if you didn't go to the Brewery section.
All the conversations there and points of view were done respectfully, far from any personal attacks or breaking any forum rules,
at least until yesterday's morning as the rest of the day I was working and didn't come to the forum.
So many people against those kind of topics (Politics/Religion/Sociologic) being discussed in an Audio Electronics forum shared their beliefs,
my first post in that thread got many "Likes", which just showed that it was not the voice of just 1 person but the voice of many members as well.

Now I see that that thread has vanished, so it was deleted, and it can only be deleted by a moderator.

So I ask you politely and respectfully to let me know why was that Thread deleted?
What are the reasons for it? and who deleted it?

I certainly give the benefit of the doubt maybe there was a strong reason for the thread being deleted,
but at the moment and without any explanation or knowing why the thread was removed it gets into really muddy waters because a Moderator from this forum is an avid user and a proponent of the Politics/Religion/Sociologic discussions in the Brewery, I'm talking about Mr. JR, then there's a thread where GroupDIY members give respectfully their opinions stating that those type of discussions should not happen here, so many people agreed and voiced their opinion that is contrary to the moderators opinion, and although no forum rules were broken the thread just vanishes.
So without explanation it really seems that members opinions were completely silenced because they disagree on the opinion of a moderator, even though it is not against the forum rules to disagree with a moderator on structural things that affect the forum, that will be dictatorship and that's not the basis of this forum, and if it is we should know.

There were many important posts in that thread, that should stay here for other members to consider,
it's strange that the thread disappeared and now a new thread was created where most people are proponents of those type of discussions in the brewery...

Can any of you, Mr. Soundwaves and Mr. JohnRoberts care to explain?

Thank you so much

We all have what I call a 'frame of reference' in this life , it colours our judgement ,
We can simply stay in our comfort zone and nothing will ever change or we can choose to step out of it and learn something about how life is over the fence or other side of the tracks,
Theres way more honesty to be found in the working mans pubs , in the posh places people are too busy trying to curry favour and kiss ass than ever shooting from the hip ,
Its a lot like how the internet generation tries to shut down awkward 'hot potatoe' topics nowadays because it interacts badly with the daily pills many have become accustomed to just to coexist with planet earth and its inhabbitants without throwing a rod.

Yes, what happened to that thread? I don't think JR would have deleted it. He has locked threads and deleted parts of offensive posts after many warnings. It's starting to feel like 2112 around here.

Yes, what happened to that thread?

Yes, mate I don't really know...

I don't think JR would have deleted it.

That's why I included the Admin, maybe it was someone else, but I don't understand the reason why.
Even though you and me can have different points on this subject I don't want any of your posts to be deleted.
Both points of view are important for other people and important to be voiced.

He has locked threads and deleted parts of offensive posts after many warnings.

That's whats to be expected, to lock the thread of if there's someone disrespectful that person should be addressed and his/her posts removed but not the complete thread to be deleted when there's important posts of many other people that were not disrespectful or offensive

Last edited:
Back