Put Politics/Religion/Hot Topics into Private Forum

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you like to see politics/religion debate spun into a new private opt-in forum?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This place has turned into quite a cesspool. But like others have said I can easily avoid the cesspool.
Of course I could avoid it, but sometimes it spills over, and it bloody stinks.

Anyways as I pointed out earlier, I don't have means to ignore absolutely everything.

I am not particularly against freedom or pro police, but to be honest I feel sewage is already a big part of our lives and I don't see the reason for more on an audio electronics forum. I am sure that the sewage fanatics disagree, but that's to be expected.

Of course I could avoid it, but sometimes it spills over, and it bloody stinks.
Where? Honestly, I have not seen anything on the tech threads I've read and posted in recently.

Anyways as I pointed out earlier, I don't have means to ignore absolutely everything.
Several people have given you the obvious options for doing so. Is it painful to even see a thread title that you don't like?

I am not particularly against freedom
It seems you aren't for it, either, in my opinion.

or pro police, but to be honest I feel sewage is already a big part of our lives and I don't see the reason for more on an audio electronics forum. I am sure that the sewage fanatics disagree, but that's to be expected.
One man's trash is another man's treasure. Tolerance is important in life.

Several people have given you the obvious options for doing so. Is it painful to even see a thread title that you don't like?
You are not reading carefully what I have been saying. You seem more interested in a personal confrontation at this point.

It seems you aren't for it, either, in my opinion.
Test me on something else other than American politics, war propaganda, vaccines, etc etc.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Tolerance is important in life.
I guess we are here because we have one treasure in common. Why should we put up a trash pile on the side ? There is already plenty of garbage everywhere and it's always open to have a dig in.

Where? Honestly, I have not seen anything on the tech threads I've read and posted in recently.

Here mate,
This is just one example, there's more, it's in the LAB (tech threads) and you posted in that page also:

https://groupdiy.com/threads/entropy-continued.82652/

But the problem is not only the discussions about Politics to spill outside the brewery or not, the problem is the bad attitude and hate from the Political (an others) discussions that spills to the rest of forum, that attitude and anger/hate that starts in the Brewery has a negative impact in the forum, and brings the vibe down. If you didn't ever feel that, I totally understand, but me and others have felt that and people voiced their opinion about that
I'm just having a peaceful conversation, I'm not arguing with anything, just ask you to consider that.

I will not dwelve into arguments about one opinion or the other, my opinion was already honestly said in the thread that was deleted,
and I'm really only interested in knowing why was the thread deleted and why were the members that don't agree with some discussions in the brewery completely Silenced

Here mate,
This is just one example, there's more, it's in the LAB (tech threads) and you posted in that page also:

But the problem is not only the discussions about Politics to spill outside the brewery or not, the problem is the bad attitude and hate from the Political (an others) discussions that spills to the rest of forum, that attitude and anger/hate that starts in the Brewery has a negative impact in the forum, and brings the vibe down. If you didn't ever feel that, I totally understand, but me and others have felt that and people voiced their opinion about that
I'm just having a peaceful conversation, I'm not arguing with anything, just ask you to consider that.

I will not dwelve into arguments about one opinion or the other, my opinion was already honestly said in the thread that was deleted,
and I'm really only interested in knowing why was the thread deleted and why were the members that don't agree with some discussions in the brewery completely Silenced
Read some non brewery threads and they read like techs who are too tired and too old for the same questions. It didn’t take talking politics to get there either.
😉

Mr. Soundwaves and Mr. JohnRoberts,

There was a thread going on called "the brewery is not universally loved because......"

In that thread many people, including myself were voicing their opinion and sharing their views respectfully on why the Politics/Religion/Sociologic discussions in the Brewery were affecting negatively the GroupDIY forum and this community.
It was also explained by me, why I think the negative effects of those discussions were spreading the whole forum, and were impossible to ignore even if you didn't go to the Brewery section.
All the conversations there and points of view were done respectfully, far from any personal attacks or breaking any forum rules,
at least until yesterday's morning as the rest of the day I was working and didn't come to the forum.
So many people against those kind of topics (Politics/Religion/Sociologic) being discussed in an Audio Electronics forum shared their beliefs,
my first post in that thread got many "Likes", which just showed that it was not the voice of just 1 person but the voice of many members as well.

Now I see that that thread has vanished, so it was deleted, and it can only be deleted by a moderator.

So I ask you politely and respectfully to let me know why was that Thread deleted?
What are the reasons for it? and who deleted it?

I certainly give the benefit of the doubt maybe there was a strong reason for the thread being deleted,
but at the moment and without any explanation or knowing why the thread was removed it gets into really muddy waters because a Moderator from this forum is an avid user and a proponent of the Politics/Religion/Sociologic discussions in the Brewery, I'm talking about Mr. JR, then there's a thread where GroupDIY members give respectfully their opinions stating that those type of discussions should not happen here, so many people agreed and voiced their opinion that is contrary to the moderators opinion, and although no forum rules were broken the thread just vanishes.
So without explanation it really seems that members opinions were completely silenced because they disagree on the opinion of a moderator, even though it is not against the forum rules to disagree with a moderator on structural things that affect the forum, that will be dictatorship and that's not the basis of this forum, and if it is we should know.

There were many important posts in that thread, that should stay here for other members to consider,
it's strange that the thread disappeared and now a new thread was created where most people are proponents of those type of discussions in the brewery...

Can any of you, Mr. Soundwaves and Mr. JohnRoberts care to explain?

Thank you so much
The thread was not deleted but I accidentally broke it by deleting the top post. Apparently you can't do that, but usually the forum software give a warning that you can't do that. Apparently not this time because of the weird parentage of the thread (split/moved). That effective first post wasn't actually the top post. I created the subject thread by splitting/moving posts from a different thread that was corrupted by all the negative veer. The forum member who inadvertently ended up with the top post was embarrassed to have his name associared with the ugly thread (he didn't actually start it).

I deleted his top post to accommodate his request and pfft... even I could no longer post to the thread. I was already working on my response to some disturbing posts, but lost my responses too.

Don't assume some grand conspiracy to silence you..... you were not targeted and are apparently still free to post.

JR

Here mate,

Really? A long time member posts about some DIY projects and someone else asks an innocent question about something in the background of a pic he posts. Question answered and the questioner makes a mildly political response that is answered mildly. The thread then continues on its original trajectory.

If that offended you then I'll have to bite my tongue. Try more tolerance. Accept that others have different views and that you might not have accurate insight into things that occur in another country.

Which is to say, don't blame the cave for the emergence of the allegory. As far as the internet goes, we're still a haven.

Last edited:
The thread was not deleted but I accidentally broke it by deleting the top post. Apparently you can't do that, but usually the forum software give a warning that you can't do that. Apparently not this time because of the weird parentage of the thread (split/moved). That effective first post wasn't actually the top post. I created the subject thread by splitting/moving posts from a different thread that was corrupted by all the negative veer. The forum member who inadvertently ended up with the top post was embarrassed to have his name associared with the ugly thread (he didn't actually start it).

I deleted his top post to accommodate his request and pfft... even I could no longer post to the thread. I was already working on my response to some disturbing posts, but lost my responses too.

Don't assume some grand conspiracy to silence you..... you were not targeted and are apparently still free to post.

JR
No recovery possible?

Thank you so much for explaining JR.
I understanding completely, the conversation started in another thread that was actually about API opamps, because it grew and was off topic and it was split from that thread and moved to the Brewery.

I don't know what went wrong yesterday as I didn't check the thread all day yesterday, but the lasts posts I saw it was still civilized.
If it turned out ugly and disturbing in the end I understand that the member that ended up with the first post after the thread split didn't want his name associated with that.

I'm sorry and feel sorry that it went the wrong way and ended up badly, actually the intention of most of the posts were quite the opposite to bring the hate and member fall outs down and having a more peacefully forum and improving the vibe

JR

I don't and didn't assume anything, it was just important to know what was the reason and what happened precisely for not assuming anything

Thank you so much once again for being king enough to explain the situation

Best Regards
Tiago

No recovery possible?
I just went and tried and don't see an options (from my moderator tools) to unscrew what I broke by deleting that first post.

We might be able to get the support staff at the mother ship to recover this but I am not sure it is worth the effort.

We can start new threads.

JR

edit- I figured out how to fix it.... not great reading.../edit

Last edited:
If that offended you then I'll have to bite my tongue. Try more tolerance. Accept that others have different views and that you might not have accurate insight into things that occur in another country.

I accept and respect everyone different views and I respect your different views and your same views.
I will just not engage more with you and what you have said because like beatnik cleverly said you are more interested in a personal confrontations than a peaceful conversation.
And the last thing I want is endless arguing, DIY electronics is fun and makes me happy, arguing with you doesn't interest me at all and it's not fun.

So I'm really sorry, don't take it personally but for the time being I will hit the "ignore" button on you, I will remove it for sure in the future and hope to have fun with you in DIY electronics related posts

Read some non brewery threads and they read like techs who are too tired and too old for the same questions. It didn’t take talking politics to get there either.
Is that breaking any specific rule and perhaps even allow for rude behavior ?
The ignore button that has been suggested several times here is only suitable for the brewery contents ?

Accept that others have different views and that you might not have accurate insight into things that occur in another country.
I think the general issue isn't that we different political views or about the world, society,etc. but that some posters are overly motivated to wave the flag at every possible - and sometimes impossible - occasion.

I don't know what went wrong yesterday as I didn't check the thread all day yesterday, but the lasts posts I saw it was still civilized.
There was recently another discussions here on the brewery where me and other members expressed difficulties we encountered with JR moderation.

The thread was also civilized and the concerns were somewhat understandable, however the thread has been deleted and later on the admin contacted me privately saying I cannot complain about moderators in public.

The forum rules don't forbid questioning the integrity of moderators, however this topic is de facto a no go.
The thread you are referring to probably had taking a similar turn (since JR opened another one right away with a poll on whether or not we should ban him) so it was perhaps deleted for the same reason.

As one of the guys who first asked for "ignore" buttons (shortly after the migration to gdiy) and then seeing them implemented within a single day without any kind of poll, I can't help with hindsight but admit that I'm not proud about having asked about it

We have them now -- for better or worse. Either way, ignore buttons should not be used as an excuse by anyone and for anything.

As for me, I consistently ignore the brewery -- and yet here I am.

The only reasons I see why the brewery is not a subforum already and why there might be spillovers are these:

(1)
"Likes" from the brewery show up in the overall reaction scores. They shouldn't. 1000 brewery likes don't help any user in assessing whether a member (in their posts) knows anything about electronics. I would like to see likes from the brewery be deducted in the main forum, please.

(2)
There should be a new rule that bans any politics, worldview etc discussions and mentions theteof in the main forum. Also, a lawn mover, no matter how interesting (and it is) doesn't belong into the main forum tech section. There are gardening forums for that -- or the brewery for that matter ;)

(3)
Content from the brewery should NOT show up in search engines. Technically that should be easy.

(4)
[Half jokingly] This thread poll is meaningless cos it's posted in the brewery. It's like asking a bunch of drunk guys in a pub whether the beer should be free... Salud! I'm switching to wine now;) [/half jokingly]

Last edited:
Back