Putting UREI on front panels

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I think there is misunderstanding is the definition of 'design' you are using.  There is a) the circuit design (the schematic) and b) the layout (Mnats artwork/PCBs).  The understanding seems to be that the schematic is public domain (or more correctly, the original parts can't be used and so therefore the 'new way' of doing the schematic is public domain (???).  Mnats artwork and layout are clearly his work and is not up for grabs for commercial use (even your modest desire to sell $1000 clones of 1176s).  Mnats designs came from Gyrafs designs which also have the agreement for non-commercial use that I posted earlier. 

I think the answer to your general question of 'why do some do it and seem to get away with it' is answered by the fact that all those you mentioned are not taking other peoples artwork (layouts) and/or are paying royalties or simply don't give a shit and will probably be stopped eventually (stick around here long enough and you'll see a few of those too).

BTW, I see you are brand new to this forum, so welcome!  There is a huge wealth of info here, and a lot of the things we have talked about have been discussed many, many times.  Do a search, and you'll get a chance to see the general mood of the place in regards to your question of using the available projects.

I think you are misunderstanding. I am seeing what you are saying and I  said with the consent of the use of their layouts. Which obviously that will not happen. All i am saying if mnats wanted to package and sell a completed 1176 with his own layout, front panel layout and logo, it would be technically legal to do. Go to purple audio website and they sell kits for the 1176 along with completed units. The pcb and layout and components are different from the mnats version. Like both being different from the original Urei-UA version. But, they are both clones, one(purple audio) selling it commercially, the other,(mnats) is not. My point is, is that the schematic is public domain and if not completely copying the UA reissue(a clone) or purple audio version, mnats could package and sell his version as a completed unit. Or if he wanted to release the rights to me or anyone else to manufacture his versions. I don't think I could get any clearer. Am I wrong on this? ???  

Thanks you for the welcome! I think this is a great site. Don"t know if I was using the wrong keywords, but couldn't really find anything. And just so everyone knows, I am not trying nor want to steal anyone else's ideas or designs.

Latest posts

Back