PYE Compressor/Limiter Thread *boards shipping* BOM up!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the way it sounds. It's really strange the way it does it's thing. Totally different than any of my other compressors. I get why some people freaked out over this thing (pye compressor). It can frame your mix (or acoustic guitar) in a really nice, classic reference...with just the right amount of punch. It kinda moves and sways in a unique way too....and has certain amounts of saturation I think (I could be wrong). You put it on your mix bus and it sounds like a classic record right away. It has a strong colour and good sustain.

Mine sounds so vintage'y it's crazy, and it's using the IC oscillator. I'm pretty sure I remember Abe saying that the oscillator type shouldn't really affect the sound of the unit.

Last edited:
ok the threads still alive ,

I have a few faults

the release is not working but it is compressing , and a 100hz bump , can anyone help me

cheers

denis

ok this is doing my head in why is my noise floor looking like this

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_7d6.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_mini_7d6.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1
Looks like transformer induced hum. Try powering the unit from and external DC source (for example a bench supply) and compare the noise floor.

If it’s 100Hz (not 50Hz), then it may be a ground loop or other pollution with the rectifier noise.

Hi.

i have nt got external DC source, and the transformer out the case i am running to power supplies modules https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/skgAAOSw5gVg9qxq/s-l1600.jpg ,i have never had a noise. problem with this kit

could it be too much current draw form a relay board? or is it the toroidal main transformer it is a two outputs 24ac i joined two legs to get the ground
pin the the power supply pcb

Best

Dennis

ok so i striped back the power supply and only used 1 to power the two pye boards and relay board and now i have nt got all that noise on the output..

Why would two psu in parallel cause the noise ?

i still have little hump at 50hz but thats ok because the noise floor is not rising when increasing gain

Attachments

• IMG_2187.JPG
    IMG_2187.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
i took the ac secondary supply from transformer and wired them to both of the ac inputs on the external pcbs.

psu1 powered the pye pcb and pcb 2 powered the lights and bypass pcb

Depending on how and where exactly you connect power feeds and grounds you may very well create a ground loop that shows up as a set of 50Hz harmonics (as in one of your posts). Without seeing the unit and tracing all connections it's very hard to say what is wrong.
General guidelines are:
  • Connect grounds at one point. This should be a "clean" ground - that is, an output of a regulator, not a smoothing cap after a bridge.
  • If you have several regs, connect them at their clean points.
  • Don't feed DC power in parallel without balancing resistors.
  • Connect your clean ground to the safety earth (enclosure) at a single point.
Maybe others will add to this list something else. My experience shows that these points are very important and help eliminate ground pollution in almost all cases.

Back