Racking SSL 4000

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibonlarra

I own 8 SSL4000E channels that I would like to rack. I am trying to find information about the way to do it, but I don’t find nothing. Someone here knows something about?

Not a simple task. You can cut down the channel strip to make it for 19” rack, or leave it long and build a rack to hold the entire channel. You’ll probably have to solder to the edge connector, as there are no available mating connectors. And you’ll need a PSU with 5 voltages. Maybe pull the cards, switches and pots and mount into a new enclosure? Simpler to power for sure, but more complicated metalwork and labeling. Check out the SSLMixed forum or SSL Facebook groups for techs that have done this.

If you have eight channels, I'd find someone breaking up a console and buy the relevant bits from an 8-channel bucket. I think the motherboard the channels plug into is in 8-channel sections. And you may find someone who will sell the metalwork for a single bucket. That would save you a lot of hard work

After that you'll need the PSUs and some logic to put the channels into the modes you want, faders if you want them, etc, etc, etc

This is pretty much the exact opposite of what Kags is suggesting so consider which way you want to go!

I agree that putting together a mini console is not a bad idea. I’ve installed a few 16-channel SSL G consoles in private studios. They had a mostly working center section, though you wouldn’t need that to use the channels as outboard processors. JLM makes (I think) a psu that would work. The drawback to a “sidecar” is the physical size - like 50” from front to back, but you could use a real fader than, instead of only repurposing the small fader.

IMG_1690.jpeg

Back