RCA 86-A Compressor XFMR

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the schem:

2070:2070 DCR

One I had actually measured 2200 : 2043 DCR, another 2022 : 2178 DCR, later one:

1-3) 2022R 104H7
4-5) 1102R 27H3
5-6) 1084R 26H8
4-6) 2178R 105H

Henries from an Extech handheld meter at 120Hz, parallel (High-Z) measurement

Last edited:
Could be some shorted turns thus lower DCR,

and DCR changes when the coil is on the core for some strange reason which I have yet to figure out but have some theories like inductance messing with the volt meter , usually more pronounced on a nickel core,
From the DCR on the print I suspect a 1:1 turns ratio , twin coils like the BA6a innerstage and equal wire size.

It’s definitely normal to find a spread of several hundred ohm when I have 4+ example of the same high-Z wind in some old thing. The times you see an exact measurement on a drawing always amuses me.

Wonder why the use a xfmr for the side chain, BA6a just uses caps
Coming off a single ended source and having additional gain since its tapped earlier in the chain, keeping the output stage out of the loop.

Done with the take-part,

Pretty weird XFMR,

E-E core, not in the catalog,
Butt stacked. No paper in the gap.

0.7" tongue, 1 inch stack. Probably steel,

6800 turns center tapped primary,

The primary wind has two pies of 3400 turns each. #38 AWG,
Wound on an over sized mandrel, 42 layers! Obscene to unwind. And wind.

The coil is sawn in two. One of the pies is flipped around as to simulate a reverse wind. Both pies are then slipped over the first secondary section.

Then the last secondary section is wound.

The split secondary does not have even turns. The inner section is 1700 turns #38 and the outer section is 3400 turns of #38.

So 6800 to 5100 or 1:1.33 ratio
Or 0.75 to 1 if you prefer.

Pictures at 11.

I use LaGrange Multipliers.

this goop is really good on a cheeseburger or ham sandwich

stuck the whole thing in the toaster oven to get it up to about 225, finished the job with the heat gun,>

Attachments

• goop.jpg
    goop.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 1
there is an important detail in this out of focus pic,

a clue that helps verify that a coil was wound and then slid off the mandrel and placed over the inner secondary,

notice the arc in the winding below the blue arrow.
this arc is there because they did not want the core tube to collapse once the coil was taken off the mandrel.
so the mandrel was shaped to have an arc in it.

42 layers can build up quite a force so they used Roman archetecture (sp) to add strength.

i was wondering why the coil had quite an oval shape to it.

Attachments

• 86e.jpg
    86e.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 2
balanced primary, you can see the saw line, sector on the left is reverse wound.
or the sector on the right, depending on how you want to look at it, because the secondary also has one of the sections reverse wound.

no wait, the primary did not have a reverse wind, one of the sectors was truned 180 degrees and slipped over the secondary section after the band saw, which now gets hooked up as a reverse wind, DCR equal, capacitance equal, maybe even a bit of hum cancel from external fields,

Attachments

• 86g.jpg
    86g.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 1
why bother counting the 3600 turns and 42 layers of the other primary, it has to be the same as the first section as they were both wound at the same time.
about 85 turns per layer. 38 AWG, the whole coil was #38.

Attachments

• pri2.jpg
    pri2.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 0
and the last layer of the inner secondary, 1800 turns , 9 layers,

there were a few busted wires on the outer secondary, this is the side of the coil that
has DC from the tube running through it, probably 24/7 if this guy was sitting on a radio transmitter out in Topeka Kansas somewhere,

Attachments

• sec.jpg
    sec.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back