Recording Accessoiries

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi @k brown this solution is really interesting and can actually be built with a pair of omnidirectional lavaliers (when you can't spend 2800€ for Earthworks).

Let It Bleed. A greater amount of omni bleed usually sounds better than a lesser amount of cardioid bleed (a major exception to this is the insanely flat off-axis response of the EV RE15). With small omnis inside the piano, positioned as shown in the PM40 lit, the piano lid can be in pretty much any position with very good results.
I think we need to separate the issues. When you record a band with electric instruments (synthesizer, electric guitar, electric bass, etc.) you have no choice but to install as many microphones as necessary, but that's another subject.

For 100% acoustic orchestra and as @Barry Hufker said, I would rather go with an omni ambiance couple, well placed and possibly reinforced by 1 or 2 mics (max) on low level instruments or to accentuate their definition. This gives a faithful stereo image of the orchestra, both in terms of placement and levels. Now, how to proceed with my setup?

I don't intend to spend money now and I lack of omni's. The only ones I've got are t.bone SC1100 modified circuit + Ari K47flat so LDC. The rest of my gear is composed by a Superlux S502 SDC ORTF, a 6AK5 cardio LDC pair and a WA84 SDC cardio pair and a SM81 SDC cardio... and no budget for a DPA (for ex.) omni pair at this time... I could maybe get a Line Audio omni pair which is affordable and very appreciated. Or a "good" lavallier omni pair...

About the gobo, I think everybody's comments here are relevant : this is not a good idea and it will not produce what I was hoping for... not efficient enough to avoid leaking from other sources / risks of direct sound disturbance

Listening again to the group recording in the original poat, what did you not like about the balance?

It does seem like a group that be recorded perfectly well with a simple omni stereo pair.

A pair of Line Audio Omni1s is an investment you will never regret.

Listening again to the group recording in the original poat, what did you not like about the balance?

It does seem like a group that be recorded perfectly well with a simple omni stereo pair.

A pair of Line Audio Omni1s is an investment you will never regret.
You're right : the mixed sound (not yet really "mixed") is quit satisfying. I added a little touch of reverb on the whole mix to recreate the original acoustic and to "glue" a bit these cardio's. The phase is respected between all mics (moves a little toward "acceptable" on certain parts but never in the out-of-phase range).

Yes the Line Audio omni are winking at me for a while...

Back