Replacement Grill Mesh.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just replaced the grill on my janky brass tube mic body. Originally I used #12, but decided to go #20. Bought from a local metal supply store. 6” x 48” piece was $22 CAD. 48” was the minimum.

What you call “janky,” I call a thing of beauty. I love the look of those handmade brass handrail microphone bodies. You should be proud.

What did you use for foam under your capsule?

I put the project on hold because I had no luck sourcing my dream capsule. I think Campbell Transmitter is too slammed making capsules for commercial brands, so I'll need to find a next best alternative.

I think just about any "acoustic foam" should be sufficient to knock down the reflections from the metal below. But I dunno. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

I think just about any "acoustic foam" should be sufficient to knock down the reflections from the metal below. But I dunno. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.
I use cheap air filters. The package I have here is Uni Air Filters BF-2 3/8 inch open cell foam, which seems to work okay for under the capsule and for packing in resonant body voids. I read about someone using magic eraser, but that is much thicker and is also flaky (that's its purpose, after all).

What you call “janky,” I call a thing of beauty. I love the look of those handmade brass handrail microphone bodies. You should be proud.

I put the project on hold because I had no luck sourcing my dream capsule. I think Campbell Transmitter is too slammed making capsules for commercial brands, so I'll need to find a next best alternative.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very proud of it especially now that I’ve corrected some issues and built a new circuit. Loads of character in this mic.

I used a pretty tight mesh, but you can see there is good visibility on the capsule. The highs aren’t affected by the #20 mesh.

That’s a good idea with the cheap furnace filter. Id like to find some black foam 1/4” thick for this. There are cheap and thin acoustic panels on Amazon that I might try

Attachments

• 9108D708-3E89-4E38-B1F1-D0D3A1C6DAFB.jpeg
    9108D708-3E89-4E38-B1F1-D0D3A1C6DAFB.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 22
Hope your able to get your dream capsule be day! That mic body your working on looks awesome

Back