Takstar CM 60 suggested mods/improvements (?)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmfalcman

Hello everyone.

After reading this and other forums several times (well.. almost) I decided to buy Takstar CM-60 mics. So it's all your fault, guys ;)
Still probably several weeks before the parcel arrives but I'm already looking for advice.

First off - the slotted grill. I read so much about the importance of rounded edges, capsule being as close as possible to the front etc, so I wonder whether shaving of those thick, sharp slots wouldn't be advantageous? There's mesh beneath them, it seems.
I know a good machinist who could take care of this, no problem.

The other thing is fet bias. Here I need some help and finger pointing ;)
RuudNL mentioned several times that Takstars need bias adjusting. And a trimpot place. Unfortunately I'm electronically dumb. Half-dumb anyway. I have proper tools, I know a cap from a resistor, can solder smd circuits without problems (been soldering even 32-pin chips once upon a time) but I wouldn't recognise, say, a voltage divider even if it bit me in the ass. But I can design you a logotype for your mic 😁 Or make a custom industrial/loft style lamp 😁
What I need is: " replace Rxx with trimpot of xxOhm and adjust from this point to ground (or across this element) till the V is such and such."

Any other suggestions in the field of replacing elements with better ones?

I do not record music/vocals. Field recording definitely. So not looking for warmth nor character.

Thanks in advance - Paweł

There is nothing in particular i would improve circuit wise. I took the capsule voltage up to ca80v to get the noise bit lower. The capsule can take it. Modding the capsule would not be easy, and the slots in front are not the issue. Backplate has to be modded. But the stock capsule is not bad either it's just that it has a 8k peak, which can be addressed with eq. So being aware of the peak helps. The mic is great platform for other capsules of this format and i use it as such. This is probably the best pencil mic for the price i've encountered.

Bias wouldn't be a deal breaker for outdoor recording unless you are recording rocket launch. It is critical for high SPL. In any case there are well documented threads on Schoeps bias which apply here.

Thanks, kingkorg.

There are no launchpads around here within reasonable distance so rockets are a non issue really. The best I will do are trains, heavy machinery and gun shots. Though I started with recording crickets yesterday (the mic has finally arrived).
So yes - bringing the noise down will be beneficial.

Just out of curiosity - what capsules do you use/recommend for it?

Thanks, kingkorg.

There are no launchpads around here within reasonable distance so rockets are a non issue really. The best I will do are trains, heavy machinery and gun shots. Though I started with recording crickets yesterday (the mic has finally arrived).
So yes - bringing the noise down will be beneficial.

Just out of curiosity - what capsules do you use/recommend for it?
I modified the stock one's backplate, but it wasn't an easy task. And i use one of Neumann's from kms105 which fits perfectly. People seem to have good experience with 3U capsules for this format, and they should fit.

The 3u 0.5mm capsules fit well and are a direct replacement. Cardioid, omni, and super cardioid.
The complete takstar mics are cheaper than a high quality aftermarket capsule so I have used them for parts as well. The backplate from a cm-60 is inside one of my banzai capsules and it will probably stay there. The body tube is well made, so Im slowly migrating some builds that were housed in 603s donor bodies over to cm-60.
I have stopped buying used 603s types…
Hope this helps.

Thanks, guys.

I know if 3u capsules, though the confirmed info on 0,5 mm is valuable.

This modifying backplate spiked my interest!

Latest posts

Back