RIP

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Einstein worked out things on a cosmic scale, Paul Dirac invented quantum mechanics for the very small scale and Hawking tied the two together.

Very tall shoulders for the coming generation to stand on.

RIP.

Ian

Hello

I join you all
I'm not sure "rest in peace" is appropriate for him, so i'll say "be your iron atom that come from supernova well recycled  in other living blood"

Zam

JohnRoberts said:
RIP a brilliant man... I recently re-read his brief history of time.

JR
I read the book way back when. I remember a few things from it, one being that the editors told him "for every equation you put in the book, the sales will drop by half" so he had only one equation.

But the most memorable thing was the story (as I understand, this didn't originate with Hawking but the book sure did popularize it) about some old woman commenting at some cosmology talk that also included some old legends about large animals that the Earth might be sitting on, "you think you're very smart, young man, but you can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."

And of course since the book was published the saying has been repeated and expanded in every which way, until it has become metaphors all the way down.

Latest posts

Back