Ruffrecords PCB Emporium -- Sifam PB 01/51/000 Keycaps available

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mrclunk said:
Put me down for a couple of Helios boards please.

[quote author=ruffrecords]OK, you are on the list. I'll bill you when I get the switches and send them all together if that is OK with yo.
Thats fine by me, thanks
[/quote]

Hi Ian,
put me down for 2 x 3 Band Pultec  pcb's as well

So the order should be :-
2x 3 Band Pultec  pcb
2x 3 Band Helios Type 69 pcb
2x Helios Grayhill switches

cheers
paul

mrclunk said:
mrclunk said:
Put me down for a couple of Helios boards please.

[quote author=ruffrecords]OK, you are on the list. I'll bill you when I get the switches and send them all together if that is OK with yo.
Thats fine by me, thanks

Hi Ian,
put me down for 2 x 3 Band Pultec  pcb's as well

So the order should be :-
2x 3 Band Pultec  pcb
2x 3 Band Helios Type 69 pcb
2x Helios Grayhill switches

cheers
paul
[/quote]

I reckon it must be over 6 weeks since I placed the Grayhill order which means it is due about now. I'll chase it up and get back to you.

Cheers

Ian

Just noticing that it's going to be very difficult to get those switches in the shorting style here in the U.S. too.  Forgive me, but what happens if I use non-shorting grayhills instead?

kpearsall said:
Just noticing that it's going to be very difficult to get those switches in the shorting style here in the U.S. too.  Forgive me, but what happens if I use non-shorting grayhills instead?

I have been thinking about that myself. The basic issue is that with the low cut positions you are switching a capacitor in series with the signal path. When you switch from one to the next, if you use a non shorting contact, there will be a momentary loss of signal. When the next contact makes,  a uncharged capacitor is in circuit and if there is any dc at the input then this cap will charge up to that dc value.  Either or both of these effects may or may not be audible.

Having said that, I am currently using a non-shorting Grayhill in the prototype Helios EQ and I have not noticed any clicks. Also I have built a similar low cut EQ for another project using regular non shorting Lorlins and again I get no clicks. So it may be that these precautions are unnecessary.

At Neve, if memory serves, we used non shorting switches in EQ but connected 4.7Meg resistors between adjacent pairs of contacts to equalise any dc.  I would say give it a go with non shorting Grayhills.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,
    I'm getting ready to order some faceplates....the only thing is that to get a good price i need to order them all at once. I would like to check with you if you still have six 3band pultec pcbs, and if so if you could keep them aside for me?

Thanks Ian!

Pierre

PS; sorry if i asked about the grayhill switch and not following up, i ended up ordering from digikey!

anjing said:
Hi Ian,
    I'm getting ready to order some faceplates....the only thing is that to get a good price i need to order them all at once. I would like to check with you if you still have six 3band pultec pcbs, and if so if you could keep them aside for me?

Thanks Ian!

Pierre

PS; sorry if i asked about the grayhill switch and not following up, i ended up ordering from digikey!

Hi Pierre,

I only have 3 Pultec PCBs left. I have put them to one side for you. I will order some more on Monday. They should arrive in a couple of weeks.

By the way, I noticed on your channel layouts on your blog that you do not have a pan pot.

Cheers

Ian

Mike Cleaver said:
Hello Ian!

This is a super project!

Please send me (1) HT350 card and (1) EZMIXERV3 card to get me started.
My email is [email protected]
I'm in Vancouver Canada.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have sent you a Paypal invoice. Welcome to the project.

Cheers

Ian

The 3U PCB version of the Helios Type 69 EQ is now available (see first post for details). This is the same circuit as the original PCB but the form factor has been changed so it will fit into a 3U rack space. This means the three Grayhill switches are now closer together and the pots need to me mounted off board.

Note that this PCB will also fit inside a 500 series module. You will need to add your own gain make up.

Cheers

Ian

I have added the Twin Line Amp to the list of avaialable PCBs.

A derivative of the Eurocard amplifier, the Twin Line Amp removes the mic pre specific components i.e. the gain switch and push buttons and instead has provision for two input transformers. These can be either 10K:10K types for line inputs or a 1:10 type for mic and balanced summer inputs. The PCB is laid out so either Sowter, Cinemag or Jensen input transformers can be fitted. The heater wiring has also been modified so that by changing some links, the output tubes can be changed to ECC99 types for driving headphones.

Without transformers this PCB can be used as a passive mix bus gain make up amplifier. With 10K:10K input transformers it acts as a twin balanced line input (with optional EQ) card. With a mic input transformer it can be used as a gain make up amplifier for a balanced summing bus or, by fitting an external gain switch, it can be used as a pair of microphone preamps.

Cheers

Ian

I have added the db25 summing PCB to the list of available boards. A couple of these, two 25 way D-type connectors, a couple of XLRs and a handful of resistors are all you need to make a balance passive summing mixer.

Cheers

Ian

Ian:

You know you have made it when you can take a holiday from being retired.

Bruce

Back