S800 Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I did, and yes it was. I have updated it since, I just started it with 270 and did find that till I tested it out. I just updated my front panel post

Sorry guys, one last front panel update. I changed up some of the numbers on the scale. Some of them were not close to what frequency was being worked at all.

Updated link: http://benlindell.com/diy/S800%20to%20Laser2.ai
Picture:
S800-to-Laser2.jpg

rascalseven said:
I designed the S800 project ('designed' is really too grandiose a term, I stole it directly from the Series 80 channelstrip drawings), because it is a revered eq that requires no esoteric parts (other than, perhaps, the dual-gang 100k reverse log pots).  Low parts cost and great performance makes this a great project.  I used to have some Trident EQ's and missed them badly after selling them, so I wanted to build some.

JC

I was thinking of asking this question some time ago : who brought this project to this forum ? So it's you Rascal7 and Peterc "only" makes the PCBs, is that right ? I'm asking this because I want to put the name of the "designer" on my case.

Ben A

Hey guys, finished up my first of two 4-Channel units this afternoon, love this thing, been running music through it and am really digging it.

More pics here: http://blog.benlindell.com/?p=222

Attachments

• S8001.jpg
    S8001.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 235
Hi Guys

Just finished 2 of 4 channels.It Sounds great!
But i i' ve noticed that if i set the unity gain with the eq bypassed, for example;
i send a 1k tone at -6db to the eq and i get -6db at the output on both channels.
but if put the eq in, at the output i get -6.5 on left ch and -6.3 on the right ch.

Please can someone explain this behavior :-\

That difference is most likely from the pots, even in the middle they could be upto 10-20% off spec, so that's not unusual.

hey

everyone here says use "on on" 3pdt switches for the bypass. is it ok to use "on off on" instead?

cheers

s

So I'm finishing up my second set of 4 and I want to see if anyone has some ideas about how to increase the headroom on these. The eq works great on guitars and quiet sources, but big loud drums and bass I'm getting an awful lot of distortion.

Anyone have some ideas?

I read somewhere in this thread that the voltages changed the headroom. +/-15V is the "normal" voltage operation but you can go to +/-18V without danger. Hope it'll help !

Ben A.

Hi

Just awaiting my boards so in the meantime designing a front panel to be done at Front Panel Express .Looking at Ben Lindell's design the 6 pot's are evenly spaced at 24cm.
Is this correct?

I've downloaded the schematic from the Gmail account, but I can't open it. Probably zipped with a Mac. Can somebody mail it to me as JPEG, PDF, or such ?

my email is paulbeltman {at} yahoo {dot} com

Thanks in advance.  :)

Paul

E-mail sent. I didn't have any trouble unzipping on a PC. Anyway, I sent you a PDF since I've only got a reader and can't edit or save in other formats.

Enjoy!

i wanna add a switch, so i can cut sharper on HPF when i needed to... which component (s) i need to mess about ?

Hi Guys
I am using Peter C's PSU at 18V (or 17.7V+/- to be exact). I have a 4 Chanel unit using the TL071''s and have noticed some here are having success with OPA134's and 602's.
Well with me being a "ME TOO" type person I would be interested in doing this but am worried if the increase in current draw will be too much for Peter C's Green PSU V6.

I don't want to shell out for 4 channels of Burr Browns to find I will also need to upgrade the PSU.

Back