SB4000 Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skot_e said:
Main issue appears to be real estate for placing the knob on the front panel due to limited space.

Hi Skot_e

beside the Sifam AL19 meter cutout..see attached pic  it is a 10K linear pot by Ohmite (vintage) lots of new parts available.....

Happy New Year to everyone.

Attachments

• cnb pot.jpg
    cnb pot.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 104
......using an 11mm diameter knob allows lots of room for fingers to rotate it (on the front panel).pic.

Attachments

• cnb knob.jpg
    cnb knob.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 39
I'm so adding that to mine when I get it!  I was a bit bummed at the omission of the C&B - this resolves it.

So - it's just a matter of cutting a few traces - and "inserting" the C&B blend knob you posted above?  Hoping to get my kit very soon and would LOVE to have this planned from the start...

What is that part number, envelope?  And will that single pot handle Stereo C&B (Left "Dry" blended with Left "Crush", and Right "Dry" blended with Right "Crush"?)

8)

Hi Mike,

This should fit right? I seem to remember you saying 1.4 inches in height but I cant find that info anywhere.

http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/mcta050-18/transformer-50va-2-x-18v/dp/9530380

Thanks a lot

Randyman... said:
What is that part number, envelope?  And will that single pot handle Stereo C&B (Left "Dry" blended with Left "Crush", and Right "Dry" blended with Right "Crush"?)

Hi, it is just a pot that I had lying around to use as a visual reference, to show a possible location for a c'n'b control...a dual pot would have the same basic form factor, just deeper...I don't have a c'n'b yet, to figure out where to put that.

envelope said:
Randyman... said:

Hi, it is just a pot that I had lying around to use as a visual reference, to show a possible location for a c'n'b control...a dual pot would have the same basic form factor, just deeper...I don't have a c'n'b yet, to figure out where to put that.

Please keep us posted on your part selection and panel placement for this - I absolutely want to add C&B to my SB4000 in this fashion once I get it...

Do you need a separate PCB for C&B - or is it just cutting traces and "inserting" the C&B blend?

Thanks!  8)

Hey people, quick question;
What is this C&B?
Is this like wet/dry because im wondering if wet/dry is a possible mod for this awsome unit?
Ive ordered all the parts and jus waiting to get started so all these mod possibilities are keeping me awake.
Apologies if this is a dumbass question, this is my first diy project

Just seen an older thread where c&b is explained!!
Drama over! You can all go about your business now!
Its fine, im fine, need sleep but im fine

envelope said:
......using an 11mm diameter knob allows lots of room for fingers to rotate it (on the front panel).pic.

Thats a nice fit if there is indeed a pot to make it work...

Hello all, I have a few thoughts/questions....

Is there any real advantage to having a stereo ext. in as opposed to just mono? Am I wrong in thinking that the compression is applied equally across the left and right channels, or can they operate independently? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but since ptown is making the back panels to order it might be one less punch he has to make.

Also regarding ext. in, I originally thought that this would serve as a key input via balanced signal, but looking at the wiring chart it appears it is a key as well as a sidechain via unbalanced signals over xlr, set up as an insert. Could somebody explain this? Do i need to feed an unbalanced signal to key the compressor?

And lastly, also regarding the wiring chart: audio I/O = + to pin 3, - to pin 2 -- Is this backwards, or am I? I guess I can understand it if it is correct, it just looks strange to my eye.

Thanks for any clarity, sorry if my inexperience is showing....

Anyone fancy sharing where they purchased their torodial transformer from? Im Looking for a
18VAC+18VAC, 25 or 30VA transformer set for 230/40 (UK use) and cant find one anywhere??  ???

sheadstedford said:
Anyone fancy sharing where they purchased their torodial transformer from? Im Looking for a
18VAC+18VAC, 25 or 30VA transformer set for 230/40 (UK use) and cant find one anywhere??  ???

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Talema-TRT30218.html

adeptusmajor: Walking out the door to band practice, will address your questions when I get back.  But quick answer to one - the ext in (aka key input) is UNBALANCED only.

adeptusmajor said:
Is there any real advantage to having a stereo ext. in as opposed to just mono? Am I wrong in thinking that the compression is applied equally across the left and right channels, or can they operate independently? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but since ptown is making the back panels to order it might be one less punch he has to make.

Meh, my personal opinion is just use a mono source for a key input, I can't think of any situation where I would personally need to use a stereo signal to trigger it, but that's just me.

adeptusmajor said:
Also regarding ext. in, I originally thought that this would serve as a key input via balanced signal, but looking at the wiring chart it appears it is a key as well as a sidechain via unbalanced signals over xlr, set up as an insert. Could somebody explain this? Do i need to feed an unbalanced signal to key the compressor?

Yes, this is correct, it's unbalanced only.  If you're using an xlr connector you would need a y cable to split the send and return.

adeptusmajor said:
And lastly, also regarding the wiring chart: audio I/O = + to pin 3, - to pin 2 -- Is this backwards, or am I? I guess I can understand it if it is correct, it just looks strange to my eye.

As it should, I'm an idiot, guess it was late.  Pin 2 to + (Hot), Pin 3 to - (Cold) like always.  Build doc has been corrected, I'll upload new pdf today.

skot_e said:
envelope said:

Thats a nice fit if there is indeed a pot to make it work...

indeed, any single/dual miniature pot should fit, with a 3 or 4mm shaft., such as this Sfernice dual 10K 4mm shaft from A.M.L. (pic)

Attachments

• pot.jpg
    pot.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 32
Well it's a little too late for me to include as I sent my file off to FPE without this. I could of course drill it out later but without being labeled.

Add to that the need to source a single pot and most of the local goods seem to be cheap knock offs. It would be an expensive part once freight is factored in. Besides I was of the impression Lucas cnb thing was not going to happen after reading his thread puting his etching to bed, but then I see he has been active in the last couple of days and it still seems to be in the pipeline.

Maybe later for me...

End of march?? I really wanna put this in my build for uni!
Ive got a schematic from an older thread and how to impliment it into the gssl circuit, will this be the same thing in your version? If so im definately in for one!!!

I can't give any kind of dates as I have alot going on right now.  But yes - Livingnote's CnB (if you can get one) would be implemented the same way as a GSSL, in fact if you look at my schematic you'll see I have wire points labeled the same as his instructions (LW, LD, RW, RD, etc.)  There's also a connector on my board to pick up +/-15V & ground to power the CnB board.

Back