SB4000 Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruckus328 said:
I can't give any kind of dates as I have alot going on right now.  But yes - Livingnote's CnB (if you can get one) would be implemented the same way as a GSSL, in fact if you look at my schematic you'll see I have wire points labeled the same as his instructions (LW, LD, RW, RD, etc.)  There's also a connector on my board to pick up +/-15V & ground to power the CnB board.
Ruckus, is this the schemo you are talking about? http://www.livingnote.com/prodigybilder/intcrush/IntCrushSchem2.jpg

No, that's the schematic for the CnB board itself.  What I was talking about was livingnote's instructions on how it gets wired to the gssl board.

Picture located on this page:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=8360.140

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one to make sure I have this right in my head. I'm using the Avel Lindberg transformer as pictured and want 240V. To achieve this I connect the blue and brown leads correct? Do I just cut the grey and violet leads away? (I take it the opposite would apply for the 110-120v guys yeah?)

Seems right to me but just want to be certain.

you need to have the two primary windings in series to get 240v
probably best to tie the two centre colours together.

its obviously more important to wire the 110v winds in parallel with the indicated taps together (dotted in your picture)
because of phase difference but you are using European 220-240v

in this config you could also tie blue to brown and use grey/violet as the mains inputs but i prefer the other way as i said before.
also from what i understand it's good practise to follow the same phase structure throughout any build, with multiple taps on secondary etc. for instance, even if they are rectified.

whats a good/cheap source for these little tx' to the UK? should be getting my board soon  ;D

I got these (2) from Hairball, but they came with the meters which I absorbed the freight for each piece as being worthwhile. But I'm in Oz.

Freight is a killer on the DIY I've done but I just don't think the local stores have decent components. I bought the switches from Mouser and they are so much better/ sturdier product than the cheap Chinese ones at the shop up the road.

you have 'shops' up the road??
its like bloody Royston Vasey here :)
Tandy (radioshack?) closed about 12 years ago nearest is maplin 25 miles away but they mostly stock cheap plastic bubble machines, overpriced LED torches and consumer DVD players :(
its all gone to $H!t I tell thee!

also, just missed out in the blackmarket but found beh meters here

http://pms-electronics.com/shop1/oxid.php/sid/4ee1229c2b671514792b46dc6020c0fa/cl/details/anid/4407691d60fee8.89605405/tpl/-/lang/1/listtype/list

probably not the greatest, but good for 1u and would be fine for stereo bus GR i rekon.
what are people using???

snipsnip said:
Hi Mike,

This should fit right? I seem to remember you saying 1.4 inches in height but I cant find that info anywhere.

http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/mcta050-18/transformer-50va-2-x-18v/dp/9530380

Thanks a lot

hey man - can you please confirm the max torroid height for the parmetal chassis?

Well, parmetal chassis is 1.42" high.  I can't say exactly how tall a transformer you can use as the mounting hardware for them will add some height, and every one's different, so go with something that gives you some wiggle room.  The ones I'm using are 32mm tall and with the mounting hardware they just fit.

"Special Delivery"

Time for a mock up:

Pics dont include the LED power light or the bar graph but you get the idea. I'm pretty happy with how it looks. ;D

Hi All,

In response to TZman sending me a PM, I figured I would make available to the wider group the front panel for FPE (have returned to generic SB4000 labeling).

I used the original file provided by Mike and then added the text. The dimension for this file are to fit  collective cases provide by Dan. With some adjustment to the mounting holes you can use this template to fit the other manufactures.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/za8c62am31mza51/sb4000%20collective%20cases%20upload.fpd

Guys, I have to make this super quick.  Wife's water just broke and she's at the hospital, I just ran home to grab a few things for her.  I will probably be at the hospital until Saturday-ish, so communication will be limited between now and then.

I think everyone who had questions has been answered, there's a few people who's emails I still haven't gotten back to, I will try to answer via blackberry if I can, if not I will get back to you this weekend.

IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ:
I have just uploaded a revised Assembly Document (Rev 2 Doc).  Everyone please download it.  I'm hate to have to say it, but unfortunately a small issue with the Rev 4 boards was just discovered (big thanks to Harpo for noticing it), luckily it's a very simple fix and only takes a couple minutes.  There's an error on the original GSSL schematic that I didn't catch, in turn the error made it's way onto the SB4000.  It's my fault for not catching it though.  In short - the unit is reversing phase when the compressor is engaged.  Since this is for the most part a transparent issue, it never came up during prototyping.  It can be fixed by just swapping the ends of 2 pairs of resistors.  A more in-depth explanation and a hi res photo are in the build doc.

Calibration instructions have also been added at the end of the Assembly Doc.  I did a quick double check and everything looked right, but if anyone notices anything strange please let me know (again, in a hurry).

Back