Should I normal direct outs to ProTools I/Os ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12dbLow

Hi there,

I am sitting in front of my solderlug patchbay and have a question regarding the workflow with Pro Tools:

I'm going to use my analog 24ch console (normal mono channels, no split) for mixing, not much recording or multitracking. But I have some synthesizers that I'm occasionally going to patch on to the channels to record them into Logic or Protools. I Already half-normalled the Interfaces outputs to the consoles inputs.

Should I half-normal the 24 direct outs of the console to my 24 Interface Inputs, or is this a problem because all the Interface Outputs are already normalled to the consoles inputs? is it frequently going to create feedbacks when I open up new audiotracks in Logic or Protools? I dont have a Protools system at hand right now, so Im not sure if I open up new tracks, do they automatically assign to I/O channels?

I hope the question was described clearly :)
Best, Adrian.

In order to create a feedback loop, you would need to put a track in PT in "input" or Record Ready, and have that track fed from a channel that is being fed from the output in PT that is assigned to the channel feeding the input.
The standard way to normal the console out to PT (or any MTR) inputs is to use the buss outs of the console to feed PT ins. Then you will need to assign a channel to feed the buss, making it easy to avoid feeding a channel into PT that is being fed from the same PT output.
Direct outs are usually available at patch, but not normalled.

Busses as Nielsk says, is the normal way.  But do you have 24 bus outs on the board?  I have an API with only 8 bus out but 24 assignable direct outs.  The bus outs normal to 1-8 and ch 9 -24 direct outs  normal to 9-24 protools.  If I push direct outs on the API (1-8ch), then the channels go direct and bypass the bus outs 1-8.  this is a cleaner path less electronics and Transformers.  Sometimes the clarity is good and sometimes it has more of a lush sound with the extra transformers in the path. 

The cool thing is with the direct switch pushed and not recording but mix in the box,  the channels come up as inserts in protools(select Insert 1 protools ext) which allow you to patch compressors in to the console(API) and the whole channel strip with 550a eq's/Faders,Filters are in the protools insert.  This is very usable for ITB mixes.  It adds a nice color/ punch to the sound.  The console is still used when tracking as you propose with microphones or Synths feeding through console channels to Protools for recording. 

You have to be careful and understand how your using the console to avoid feedback loops . (when protools is in record like nielsk says).  But you always had to back with tape decks in the old days anyway.  That depends on having the console in mic mode not line mode feed.  When recording you want to disrupt somehow the Protools out sending to line in, and DI out back to protools in. Instant feedback loop in input or record mode.  If you have a synth plugged into line in, it disrupts protools out from feeding line in and there is no feed back loop. 

I like having my directs hooked up.

Hi Guys,

thanks for the kind answers! I posted the same on Gearslutz (shame on me for double posting, but I needed a quick reply.) and got nothing...

Anyway: I decided to do exactly how fazer said: I'm normalling all 8 busses + Master and half of the direct Outs to Protools.

Latest posts

Back