silk screening

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPrisus

so how do you guys do it? DIY or any decent places for this service? I was thinking of frontpanelexpress for some of my upcoming projects, but if screening is cheaper, i'd be just as happy with that.

Thanks!

silkscreening is sort of a pain for a one-off. If you're using a photo-stencil , you have to print a decent transparency, then put emulsion on the screen, burn the screen. wash the screen. then print once....if you were even doing 10...it might make sense. But it is possible. But I think it would cost just as much to do one as fpe.

-jay

Was getting into it, but after researching it, pain in the rear and expensive.
So then I went to Lazertran, but caught too many printers on fire and got booted from Kinkos Copies.
Next stop was the Sharpie! Crude, but it works for the ghetto look.
Now I am hand painting with pin striping materials.
A lot faster than trial and error with decals etc.
You put down what you want, where you want it.
No alignment problems with switch detents, etc.
cj

[quote author="cjenrick"]So then I went to Lazertran, but caught too many printers on fire and got booted from Kinkos Copies.[/quote]

The trick, CJ, is to use one of them color photocopiers instead of a printer. I've gotten pretty good results with lazertran paper. Looks just like a silkscreen!

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="alk509"]

The trick, CJ, is to use one of them color photocopiers instead of a printer. I've gotten pretty good results with lazertran paper. Looks just like a silkscreen!

Peace,
Al.[/quote]

Al, are you printing onto the lazertran and then attaching it onto the front panel?

[quote author="JPrisus"]Al, are you printing onto the lazertran and then attaching it onto the front panel?[/quote]

Lazertran is a very thin plastic film that comes on a paper backing. You color-copy or laser-print your front panel design on a sheet of this stuff with the artwork reversed (mirror-imaged), then you peel the plastic off the paper backing under running water and put it on your aluminum panel, it gets sticky and attaches to it, you squeegee any air pockets out, remove all the excess sticky goo, and bake it in the oven for a while.

The whole process is explained on this website (scroll down to where it says "Method 3").

For small runs, this stuff is amazing. It looks and FEELS just like silk screen!

Peace,
Al.

Also, if you drill and de-burr your holes before cooking the panel, the lazertran will melt around the holes and look nice and clean - as opposed to baking the Lazertran on and then drilling and de-burring the panel, which looks like ass.

Peace,
Al.

Latest posts

Back