Simple DI box schem available

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aharon

I found a DI box project in a 1998 Recording magazine.The designer claims good performance and the parts count is under 15.
If somebody wants to post it I could scan it and email it.
Aharon

i can do it
will pm email
cj
btw, i just finished a/b ing the hickboy against a proco di.
the proco is just a transformer with a ground lift and tone cap which is useless so i threw it out.
also the ground is almost always kept in the gronded position so i threw that out and used it for a pwr switch for the hickboy, which is an active di.
simple fet design kind of like Bo Hansens. UTC A-39 output transformer on the active box.

anyway, long story short, the hickboy sounds a lot better than i thought against the simple transformer di.
more tube like and has character, where as the passive di sounds thin and low level, with no mids or personality, but a very clean signal, whereas with the hickboy, you pay the price of much better tone with a touch of distortion if you push the bottom end, but no big deal.

i threw in a 0.0082 uf cap across the 10k input resistor on the hickboy and it really brought out the tone on my tele deluxe, so i put it on a switch for a tone tweak.
used 8 sanyo nicads with a 1/4 inch jack in the back via a 39 ohm resistor for charging the battery pack wich sjould last 5 or 600 hours on a single charge.
led draws 300 microamps as a pwr indicator.
both di's racked in the same 1u box and a totally cool project.
thanks to Bill Y for all the info!

The Country Hick is at :

http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/countryhick/countryhick.htm

cj ... can I add your little capacitor mod to the project ?

I tried to email cj but it was rejected,message: host or server not found and the address.
MAybe I can post it in yahoo photo.Hold on.
Aharon

sorry Aharon, we have a lot of firewall stuff that rejects certain emails.
Of course Kev, go for it. Tweak the cap value for your particular instrument and taste.

No problem,it went to consul so there should be a visual soon.I reduced the size a bit so it would be easy to email but it's rather simple so no detail is needed really.Hope it can be of use.
Aharon

Actually, if you can send me the big version of the image, I can resize and save it out as a more web-friendly format. It won't happen until tomorrow, though, so no hurry. I'm out of here for tonight. :wink:

Thanks again consul,I wanted to contribute something,you guys have been so helpful.....

Hi Jakob.Yes ,the article states that it feeds from phantom.Also that 2n5457 can be used. If it's of interest I could scan the the rest.
Aharon

Yes, it definitely looks like it's run directly from phantom power.

I'm also counting three caps in the signal path at least (I can't tell right away with C4). You would want decent film types for those, I assume?

Looks like an easy build. Unfortuantely, neither Mouser, Newark, nor Digikey seem to have part PN5457 (the FET) in their database. Is there an equivalent?

Back