Simple DiodeBridge Compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is not convicting you?
I m curious
This: "We use Schottky barrier signal diodes and I chose these because they have the sound I wanted which was a bit more punchy than standard silicon diodes."
I'm not questioning the outcome, but I would like an explanation as to how the characteristics of Schottky diodes (particularly the lower forward voltage) results in more punch.

but i get only problems....
in the attach R45 & C6 are for dual elememt release... according to what i learned R45 should be no more than half of R19....
so i replaced R45 with 10k and c6 to 100u to obatin 1sec
in this way i got this when engaged:
meter totally down to -20 even with no signal
putting signal, seems only attenuated and muddy

but leaving it as i drew, no problems , and the compression smooth...
i can t measure, or i really dont know wich signal need to verify autorelease

Attachments

• Auto.png
    Auto.png
    318.5 KB · Views: 98
This: "We use Schottky barrier signal diodes and I chose these because they have the sound I wanted which was a bit more punchy than standard silicon diodes."
I'm not questioning the outcome, but I would like an explanation as to how the characteristics of Schottky diodes (particularly the lower forward voltage) results in more punch.
Really don t know... But I will try it and measure... I ll build a second vca and switch between them to compare.... Can you advice me any Schottky for this test?

but i get only problems....
in the attach R45 & C6 are for dual elememt release... according to what i learned R45 should be no more than half of R19....
so i replaced R45 with 10k and c6 to 100u to obatin 1sec
in this way i got this when engaged:
meter totally down to -20 even with no signal
putting signal, seems only attenuated and muddy

but leaving it as i drew, no problems , and the compression smooth...
i can t measure, or i really dont know wich signal need to verify autorelease
Is it the schemo of something that actually exists? Is it supposed to work? Simulation shows almost no difference with or without.

in spice i left the Rel pot value to max...
setted to minimum to get faster response, and now can see something... but cant judge on my own
red input, green out , blue SC feed
thanx for attention
best

Attachments

• fastRel-autoOff.png
    fastRel-autoOff.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 61
  • autoOn.png
    autoOn.png
    94 KB · Views: 65
in spice i left the Rel pot value to max...
setted to minimum to get faster response, and now can see something... but cant judge on my own
red input, green out , blue SC feed
thanx for attention
best
It's quite difficult to observe these screen shots. I monitor current in resistor R31. It does something, but I can't really tell what in terms of sonics.

Is the signal only distorted or does level varies erratically also?
something in between....
the strange thing is that in simulation i never was able to verify the rel time, but in the real proto it works!.... once i setted the .tran time to have the right visualization of the initial transient, in that way i saw the shape of relase really doing something to the wave, but the file is lost somewhere in my hd, or saved in aonother manner!
yes the switch set the fastest release
cheers

attached 33609 recovery value, and only now noticed the use of diodes!
C13 is the timing cap, right?
sorry for boring you, but i d like to understand
are these diodes a usefull solution for my problem post #62

Attachments

• 33609Timing.png
    33609Timing.png
    300.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 33609Timing2.png
    33609Timing2.png
    385.8 KB · Views: 81
Adding diodes got this...
Engaging auto... The meter needle goes down but slowly rise to zero!
The audio if fine.... And on vocal seems controlling better the body and the range 600 till 1k is quieter

finally audio is fine, diodes removed.... i think i did some short at beginning
at turn on it takes about 12 sec before needle starts rising
18k and 100u, 1,8s

Complete newbie here. Neat thread.

Is the schematic in the first post still relevant, or were there a lot of changes?

Back