Simple DiodeBridge Compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 different approach simulated
which is the better one?
thanks for your attention

Attachments

• comparison.png
    comparison.png
    352 KB · Views: 79
How often do we encounter gear with unbalanced inputs? Even the cheapest home recording equipment nowadays has balanced inputs. As far as I know pro audio equipment has always had balanced inputs. Only gear with unbalanced inputs I have used have been tape recorders for home/semi pro use.
You never had a shorted connection? Particularly if there's a patchbay involved, you can chase your tail for hours wondering why you have reduced level and distortion.
Distortion if one of the output pins is grounded and no problem at all if left floating.
If left floating you loose 6 dB and you need to modify your wiring, which always happen when you're busy and you lift the wrong leg...

Last edited:
Looks like that with the attached schem... I found what I need...
Only 0.4dB loss if used unbalanced
I ll simulate it to check
Best
Richi

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220211-081938.jpg
    Screenshot_20220211-081938.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 75
Why not just use a dedicated line driver as suggested earlier ? Saves a lot of hassle (layout, real estate, matching), gives you better performance, and is competitive in cost.

I also did a 33609 pcb but before drilling the huge single sided board I realized It was to expensive to build... That s why I started a simplified one, with components I just own

I also did a 33609 pcb but before drilling the huge single sided board I realized It was to expensive to build... That s why I started a simplified one, with components I just own
Building a clone of an existing piece will teach you little, when building something with limited resources will tell you a lot; the road is twisted, though... (y)

Here is the huge one...
If someone interested I can share

Attachments

• 33609pcb.jpg
    33609pcb.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 65
  • 33609ALL.png
    33609ALL.png
    456.9 KB · Views: 58
How often do we encounter gear with unbalanced inputs? Even the cheapest home recording equipment nowadays has balanced inputs. As far as I know pro audio equipment has always had balanced inputs. Only gear with unbalanced inputs I have used have been tape recorders for home/semi pro use.

There's still plenty of gear and consoles that use unbalanced send/inserts.

approach n4
this one looks cool!
if shorted to get unbalanced, the loss is only 3dB, and the output waveform is 3dB more respect to the input.... also the harmonic content looks quieter respect to running it balanced! no distortion as i can see
best
richi

Attachments

• bal04.png
    bal04.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 58
at the end i ll use the blend amp to run unbalanced connection, and split the signal to the new version with 3 opa for balanced one...
since i m going for 2 x ne5532, thinking to use half of the first opa as non inverting follower
cheers

is it possible to have a combo input too, or i could get noise problems?
have to add a switch to isolate the 2 parts?
as always , thanks for your attention
cheers

Attachments

• combo_Input.png
    combo_Input.png
    302.2 KB · Views: 38
Back