SM204 transformer (V2545)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While trying not to reveal too much, i can't stop thinking how amazing life is.

Im sitting here in 2022 taking part in a thread where my formative teenage years music industry idol is making some amazing vintage recreations. So much creativity, during so many years. Amazing @Moby, just like anything else you've created. 👏👏👏

Amazing!

The owner of this SM204 must be thanking his lucky stars his paths crossed with yours.

Thank you for the continued pics & for your persistence in resurrecting these old gems.

I certainly hope this model of transformer will be added to your catalogue for purchase at some point in the future!
TBH I was looking for one needed to be repaired because I wanted to find out the winding details and magnetics properties. Also, it's nice to help :)
Now, I'm thinking about making it available as the aftermarket part. We will see...

While trying not to reveal too much, i can't stop thinking how amazing life is.

Im sitting here in 2022 taking part in a thread where my formative teenage years music industry idol is making some amazing vintage recreations. So much creativity, during so many years. Amazing @Moby, just like anything else you've created. 👏👏👏
+1

I am still waiting for the response from the SM204 owner regarding the repaired V2545. In the meantime since the laminations used in these transformers are long time obsolete I decided to give a try and make some small quantities of the original laminations. Let's see, measure (and hear) it !1652975664019.jpg

I am still waiting for the response from the SM204 owner regarding the repaired V2545. In the meantime since the laminations used in these transformers are long time obsolete I decided to give a try and make some small quantities of the original laminations. Let's see, measure (and hear) it !
That's amazing, are you stamping them yourself? And would you mind posting the winding scheme of the transformer, I'd be interested in taking a look.

That's amazing, are you stamping them yourself? And would you mind posting the winding scheme of the transformer, I'd be interested in taking a look.
This test laminations were made by wire EDM. Not cheap but good for prototyping. After the cutting process, of course, parts were heat treated at 1150c under the Hydrogen protection atmosphere. Time consuming and pretty expensive process. Not to mention that to adjust exact magnetics properties annealing need to be repeated several times.
For the mass production I evaluate the custom stamping tools. Sorry, I don't have the permission to share the winding scheme.

There is a guy here in Germany who has a stash of M42 Mumetal laminations from VAC. I think VAC (Vacuumschmelze) did also some laminations for Neumann and co back in the days.
If your interested I can give you the link. He sells them quite cheap.

There is a guy here in Germany who has a stash of M42 Mumetal laminations from VAC. I think VAC (Vacuumschmelze) did also some laminations for Neumann and co back in the days.
If your interested I can give you the link. He sells them quite cheap.
Thanks, but V2545 does not use M42 but some "M" non standard sized laminations. Bit larger than M30 but smaller than M42.
In house stamping is the only way, unfortunatelly :(

Let's go!

This is incredibly exciting to me.

If you decide to make some of these for sale, I'd love to be first on the list. As I've said before, the two best C12s I've ever heard both had the early, larger R&S transformer.

Can't wait to see how this develops. You're a legend @Moby

Let's go!

This is incredibly exciting to me.

If you decide to make some of these for sale, I'd love to be first on the list. As I've said before, the two best C12s I've ever heard both had the early, larger R&S transformer.

Can't wait to see how this develops. You're a legend @Moby
I'm OK with the producing it but to be honest at least 40-50 pieces (with non profite price) will be needed for it. If someone is ready to start the feeler about it, I'm in :) I'm also in if someone wants to start the kit project based on the SM204/V2545

I see!

I’m not sure how the feeler threads work, or whether this might be able to be combined with other models in development at some point to improve chances of meeting the minimum?

maybe @Vac11 would have some helpful insight or interest?

this may be overly optimistic, but I’ve just bought two CT12 capsules, so I’d definitely be down for 2 pieces.

~38 to go…

I see!

I’m not sure how the feeler threads work, or whether this might be able to be combined with other models in development at some point to improve chances of meeting the minimum?

this may be overly optimistic, but I’ve just bought two CT12 capsules, so I’d definitely be down for 2 pieces.

~38 to go…
I am for four. This mean we are at six ;)

I see!

~38 to go…
Yes, @Vac11 did the great job with the T14/1 and Ü series. Let's see if he has the time to do it again.

Latest posts

Back