So hows the weather at your location?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny how snow and cold temperature affect people differently.
Here in Montréal, snow and cold is part of our culture.
We have a law that states that all car must be properly fitted with snow-tyres by December 15th.
We have incredibly efficient snow removal teams and equipment, we invented the snow blower after all...
http://www.sicard-snowblast.com/about_sicard.html

We are used and prepared for long and cold winter.
So it always amaze us when people are stuck with 2 inches of snow or -3 degrees temperature!
I remember a student from Saudi-arabia who was completely flabergasted by the fact that life goes on here with 10 inches of snow or -30C temperature!
I guess I would not know how to tackle a sand-storm or 45C temperature of the desert...
or tropical storms or...
But now we see that we live in a changing world, and global warming is not just a concept!

Luc

A lot of snow here. I'm stuck, fwd van and snow don't get on very well.
Dam shame my land rover is over 100 miles away!  ::) ::)

Hope the rest of you from the UK are alright. Take it easy out there. Lots of accidents already this morning.

Dominic

This really doesn't do any justice to how deep it is, but here you go :)

street.jpg

blue_luke : yes - my company's head office is in Montreal and they often joke at us Brits when the infrastructure here closes down after 3" of snow in one night.  We just aren't prepared for it in the same way you are over there.

This is definitely the most snow I can remember though, certainly in the South of the UK where it's generally pretty sparse.

6" - 8" in one night really is something here!

Two funerals last weekend, my grandfather and my girlfriend's grandmother. Chicago and Pittsburgh. Colder and cold. -24C (-11F) here on our return.

Stood outside in snow while we watched the flag folded over my grandpa's coffin. That's how I spent New Year's.

Obit: "A funeral Mass for Edwin E. Rieser, 91, will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Thursday. Mr. Rieser was a World War II veteran and a P.O.W. Edwin was the beloved husband of the late Irma (nee Hookham); loving mother of Donald (Marilyn), Mary (Mark) Skipworth, Ed (Kris), and Lee Rieser; dear grandfather of Kirsten, Peter, Brian, Brett and Todd; cherished great-grandfather of Matthew, Torin and Malayna; and fond brother of Mary (the late Doug) Loerzel. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Disabled American Veterans."

Respect to you and your girlfriend Skipwave, a lose can never be returned only morned then remembered with thanks for the moments we spend in each others company.

Rob, my parents live in High Wycombe so I have an inkling of your circumstances. Up here in Bolton we had about 10", town came to a holt. Expecting another few over the next couple of days. On the upside though, being  self employed I used the excuse to go sledging with my 8 year old rather than spend tuesday fighting the weather.

iain

Our studio is on a farm close to nowhere, and is now it's pretty much 4wd access so we're closed for business until things thaw or get gritted, which is unlikely. I don't want the liability of a client slipping down the studio steps. But it's giving me a chance to catch up on correspondence and catch up here at the forum, which is nice. A bit frustrating overall, but looks very pretty. Let's hope the logs & Ardbeg last the cold snap!

Bizarrely, they're talking about a tiny chance of snow flurries here in Orlando tomorrow...

While it's not in the same league as everyone else's 'tales of snow', when it snows -even a tiny bit- in Florida, then you KNOW it's hurting up the entire eastern seaboard!!!

Keith

So yesterday was a bust for the most part.  We got a light dusting of mostly wet snow.

This morning was the fun part because it was 17 last night and the snow froze.

But to add further insult to injury,  I thought things wouldn't be that bad but there are wrecks and cars in ditches all over the place today.  The ice was only part of the problem, the other part is paranoia and people acting stupidly.

About 2-3 inches of snow here, not much but enough to make a lot of people drive like idiots. Rebecca's school's been shut two days in a row, which to a Chicago boy like me feels pretty funny, but the side roads are icy and school buses aren't great in the traction department.

Tonight it was about 12 F when I went into the gig, about 6 F when I came out. Not good weather to be schlepping amps. And the acoustic guitar hated it; bright, thin sound and tuning problems all night. The electric's amp kept cutting out too (turned out to be problems with the plug seating in the power strip...duh.) When I got to the hall the thermostat was set to 72 F and the thermometer read 56 F. We cranked it but the temperature never rose about about 60 F. Thank the dance caller for bringing the space heater for the violinist and me; the dancers were having a fine time but we musicians had troubles despite the heater. The violinist was wearing fingerless gloves.

Despite all that we had a good time, but I'm hoping tomorrow's gig is a little more comfortable. At least we'll be a five-piece -- of course, that means more instruments to go out of tune. And at least five tunes where I'll be playing the steel-bodied National...gonna wear my vest for sure.

Peace,
Paul

Keith,

Did you get your snow over there?

If so, I can send you my DIY snowman schematic- you know, the one I mentioned with the carrot-nose mod?

White-face...

...I know it's a while since you made one!

;)

Mark

Back