So many microphones clones and no comparison with originals

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2d2

iIn the last few weeks various threads about microphones clones
are often present in the "latest posts" space on the right of pages,
the curiosity prompted to browse a good amount of pages about
where as normal, the posts talk about technical info,
components, where to find them, etc.. ,

but no sound comparisons between clones and originals,

given that the cost for parts for the clones of the most expensive microphones
is quite considerable
wouldn't it be the case that there should be the sound comparisons ?
cheers.

I just built this mic, so if you could please send me a Neumann U67 I will make a comparison for you.

I suppose that generally comparisons are made with the same source, room, pre, &c (in the spirit of all things being equal if not for the satisfaction of the quasi-scientific method). Perhaps most building a diy mic don't have an original?

Anyway, send me the Neumann and I'll get onto it. However, shipping from NZ is notoriously sketchy so I cannot guarantee getting the U67 back to you in, well, let us say, in my lifetime.

Attachments

• diy u67-2.jpg
    diy u67-2.jpg
    894.5 KB
  • diy u67-3.jpg
    diy u67-3.jpg
    1.2 MB
iIn the last few weeks various threads about microphones clones
are often present in the "latest posts" space on the right of pages,
the curiosity prompted to browse a good amount of pages about
where as normal, the posts talk about technical info,
components, where to find them, etc.. ,

but no sound comparisons between clones and originals,

given that the cost for parts for the clones of the most expensive microphones
is quite considerable
wouldn't it be the case that there should be the sound comparisons ?
cheers.
The problem with comparisons to the original is that each original will age differently,
For example, at the stu we had a bday party for a friend who worked for warm at the time. He brought over mics for us to check out. That’s how he got the party at our spot. Anyway we tossed up our original mics to compare against their clones. Hard to compare a fet 47 that has been used as a tom mic often with a new clone. Do I trust the mic with dents and dings and a broken/ stuck switch or the shiny new one. There was a difference.

The problem with comparisons to the original is that each original will age differently,
For example, at the stu we had a bday party for a friend who worked for warm at the time. He brought over mics for us to check out. That’s how he got the party at our spot. Anyway we tossed up our original mics to compare against their clones. Hard to compare a fet 47 that has been used as a tom mic often with a new clone. Do I trust the mic with dents and dings and a broken/ stuck switch or the shiny new one. There was a difference.

Holy Truth !!!

Given the age of the originals ones
find 2 that sound (by ear) at least 98% really identical, would be like a miracle,
particularly those with the VF14 (...and assuming it is original and in decent condition)
...not to mention with the response curve analyzer...,

however the "message" would be for those offering the various kits for sale,
If not a direct comparison with an original,
at least an audio sample of the clone with a flat not tube preamp ( Massenburg ? ),
with a decent acoustic guitar
played properly with open chords, some arpeggios, and single note with long decay as well.

(Already that having a good jazz singer with neutral timbre ,
or a quality acoustic piano and pianist of the same level,
with acoustically adequate room, is not really that simple).

I just built this mic, so if you could please send me a Neumann U67 I will make a comparison for you.

I suppose that generally comparisons are made with the same source, room, pre, &c (in the spirit of all things being equal if not for the satisfaction of the quasi-scientific method). Perhaps most building a diy mic don't have an original?

Anyway, send me the Neumann and I'll get onto it. However, shipping from NZ is notoriously sketchy so I cannot guarantee getting the U67 back to you in, well, let us say, in my lifetime.
As above.

Last edited:
Back