Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think If I were to redesign it I would probably shelve everything above 5K down just slightly to compensate for the lack of bump.

The nice thing about the flat K47 is that it sounds like it might be good for use on an ensemble or big band at a distance. Not everything has to get recorded from 6" away.

Free worldwide shipping, but the k87 isn't out yet. things got delayed a bit in the holiday manufacturing rush. I will say they're under $200 each.
Hi Soliloqueen,

I’d be interested in a k87, whenever they can ship, shall I DM?

Can it take a trumpet or a
bone point blank?
the flat k47? absolutely. it has 40% lower capacitance than the RK47 and twice as thick a diaphragm. the max SPL should be considerable. probably 140 dB SPL. I've seen this thing tank slamming open a door to a sealed room, which is a pressure wave above 150dB. It bottomed out, but it was fine.

Last edited:
OK...
I finally got all the parts and setup two identical mics. Both are Miktek CV4 tube mics, based on a known circuit around an EF800.
1) Beesneez K7 capsule
2) Soliloqueen's Flat 47 capsule

I will post some audio examples hopefully next week when I have some people in for a session. But, my first impressions are that they both have their own thing. The K7 has that M7 low mid bump which made it sound covered in comparison to the Flat 47. The Flat 47 sound more open and a bit brighter, but my guess is that it sounds brighter due to the lack of the mid push of the K7. The K7 sounds bigger. I will want to do more tests. It's an obvious improvement over the cheap K67 type capsule that comes in the mic. I never understood that decision. The circuit is flat. The is no compensation for a K67 capsule. Strange. More to come.

depending on the distance from the source and other factors, a traditional m7 or k47 can sound mid heavy and the flat k47 neutral, or a traditional m7 or k47 can sound neutral and a flat k47 smiley. it depends a lot on what you're recording! curious to see.

I have heard good things about your capsules Soliloqueen! I wanted to ask which of your capsules you would recommend for a tube u47 build and a 47 FET build?

Also, are you still hoping to have k86/67 capsules available to ship in January? I want to do u87, u47 tube, and u47 FET builds the first quarter of the year as projects.

I have heard good things about your capsules Soliloqueen! I wanted to ask which of your capsules you would recommend for a tube u47 build and a 47 FET build?

Also, are you still hoping to have k86/67 capsules available to ship in January? I want to do u87, u47 tube, and u47 FET builds the first quarter of the year as projects.
for a tube u47 build, the flat k47 is the way to go. for a u47 fet...i would think that the flat 47 isn't bright enough? unlike the u47, the fet was only ever designed for the k47. I'd wait for the accurate k47.

as for the k87...not sure. things are very backed up due to covid + people placing their yearly orders. everything is approved and ready to go, it's just a matter of when our various suppliers can get around to shipping the orders for the parts. we're still hoping this month, but it may be february. sorry for the delay guys, did not expect everything to be this backed up. we have the first few serial numbers in the run done already for final approval and product photography, so the hold-up is purely in logistics and manufacturing.

for a tube u47 build, the flat k47 is the way to go. for a u47 fet...i would think that the flat 47 isn't bright enough? unlike the u47, the fet was only ever designed for the k47. I'd wait for the accurate k47.

as for the k87...not sure. things are very backed up due to covid + people placing their yearly orders. everything is approved and ready to go, it's just a matter of when our various suppliers can get around to shipping the orders for the parts. we're still hoping this month, but it may be february. sorry for the delay guys, did not expect everything to be this backed up. we have the first few serial numbers in the run done already for final approval and product photography, so the hold-up is purely in logistics and manufacturing.
Ok well that’s encouraging anyway! Cool, thanks for the update. So from what I gather from that post, you are not currently able to supply a accurate k47? Only the flat k47 currently? I look forward to your capsules for u87. Is there a way to get on the waiting list? I would buy a flat k47 soon or now I think. What tube do you recommend with it? I apologize if this has been answered already. Visiting family and not much time to read. I plan to re-read the whole thread.

Ok well that’s encouraging anyway! Cool, thanks for the update. So from what I gather from that post, you are not currently able to supply a accurate k47? Only the flat k47 currently? I look forward to your capsules for u87. Is there a way to get on the waiting list? I would buy a flat k47 soon or now I think. What tube do you recommend with it? I apologize if this has been answered already. Visiting family and not much time to read. I plan to re-read the whole thread.
No accurate k47 yet, only the flat k47. The flat k47 is in stock and available for purchase if you DM me (there are 7 left currently). The waiting list is this thread right now. Several people in the thread have already mentioned good synergy with the EF800, but I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet. The WM thread is going to be opened soon, but I'm waiting to hear back from my suppliers on a few things I want to offer to OEM customers that I want to put in the thread if I can.

No accurate k47 yet, only the flat k47. The flat k47 is in stock and available for purchase if you DM me (there are 7 left currently). The waiting list is this thread right now. Several people in the thread have already mentioned good synergy with the EF800, but I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet. The WM thread is going to be opened soon, but I'm waiting to hear back from my suppliers on a few things I want to offer to OEM customers that I want to put in the thread if I can.
Cool thank you! Will do.

Matt

Just dropped my flat k47 into a u47 using Dany's EXCELLENT repro body, dual 408a's, and beesneez 6.5:1 torroidal. Sounds great at first blush, burning tubes in now and will really get to monkey with it this weekend. Great job on the capsule @soliloqueen! The front & back sound identical, have the same exact capacitance. Whole thing down to the way it was packed = supersolid. (y)

I remember seeing M7 capsules measurements by Martin Kantola and my conclusion was that a good capsule sounds good even if it shows bit strange by measurements. There is more to that than freg. curve I gather . Just to say ... Happy New Year all you folks!

To follow-up on my post about the Flat47 VS a Beesneez K7:
I put the Flat47 in an identical mic (Miktek CV4) that I also have a BN-K7 in. Two identical mics with different capsules, so, this comparison would be as close as possible to hear what it really sounds like. I can't post the audio yet but I can give my opinion and the opinion of the artist I was recording with. Note, I only tested vocals with both microphones. The mics were setup with their capsules as close together as possible. The vocalist was 8" out and centered between the capsules. There was a pop filter used.

What did we find? The Flat47 and the BN-K7 sound almost identical. The wav files do not null when phase is flipped. But... cutting back and forth on a repeated loop, we could hear no difference between the capsules. I was actually hoping to hear a pretty big difference, but there was none. Every time we thought we could hear a difference, the next phrase changed our minds. I could easily use these as a matched pair. Like I said, this was only on vocals. I will give it a shot as an overhead mic in the next week and see how they match up then. I had hoped the Flat47 was going to sound a bit darker than the K7 so I could use it on a violin. The two capsules are so similar. I think I'll just buy a ribbon next for violin purposes. For vocals, the Flat47 is great.

So, If you want a capsule that sounds incredibly close to the BN-K7, for a fraction of the cost, I can recommend the Flat47. I think they might perform differently if the vocalist was closer. The proximity of each capsule might be a bit different but we didn't test any closer than 8". I usually record vocals just a little closer. Both capsules sounded very good.

For grins, we did just a quick comparison of the Flat47 in the CV4 to a Wunder CM7GS-M7 that has a Theirsch Red M7 capsule. Again, they were really close sounding but there was a bit more difference in this test. I think a lot of it could be accounted for by the different head basket design and slightly different circuit, though both are based on a BV08 and EF800 tube. We slightly preferred the CM7GS on male vocals and the CV4/Flat47 on female vocals, but if you didn't have them side by side, you wouldn't hear a difference. That says a lot of good things about the Flat47.

Great to hear!

I’m curious what year your K7s are from, as I’m surprised you don’t find the K7 dark enough for violin. I’d imagine my pair would be (from 2014), but I’ve only very-limited experience with EF800s, and that was back in 2014/15. I ended up liking 5840s better with a 6.5:1 small-core. My mics have a very big mid-mids emphasis. Going to a large-core would probably help if I wanted bigger lows; although Mowak’s 6.5:1 small-core would take care of that as well. I have plenty of other mics that do that though, so I’m not worry about that.

Also, I find the Thiersch Red to have a cool fuzzy sizzle (fizzle?) distortion on top that makes it different from others.

Latest posts

Back