Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been two weeks since I received Arinne's k87 capsule. I put it on my diy u87, I have been looking for a capsule for vintage u87. This k87 did it. It is about 3db more sensitive than the other IMG_5164.JPGk87 I bought before. For the vintage u87 circuit, the signal-to-noise ratio is improved. The diaphragm sound is detailed but not harsh. I also bought Maiku 3U MP capsules before, but none of them satisfied me. MP's capsule is ok for u87ai, but Arienne's k87 is really good. I am so excited that my vintage u87 is finally done. Many thanks to Arienne for her efforts. Below are some build pictures and versions of the drawings, the sound is raw.
View attachment Arienne k87.wav

Attachments

• IMG_5165.JPG
    IMG_5165.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5166.JPG
    IMG_5166.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5180.JPG
    IMG_5180.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • vintage u87 version 16.jpg
    vintage u87 version 16.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 3
It has been two weeks since I received Arinne's k87 capsule. I put it on my diy u87, I have been looking for a capsule for vintage u87. This k87 did it. It is about 3db more sensitive than the other View attachment 111852k87 I bought before. For the vintage u87 circuit, the signal-to-noise ratio is improved. The diaphragm sound is detailed but not harsh. I also bought Maiku 3U MP capsules before, but none of them satisfied me. MP's capsule is ok for u87ai, but Arienne's k87 is really good. I am so excited that my vintage u87 is finally done. Many thanks to Arienne for her efforts. Below are some build pictures and versions of the drawings, the sound is raw.
View attachment 111858
Very nice sounding mic!

Major update:
Here's SQ's "flat" k47 (red) against original Neumann's k47(blue). I honestly believe Ari's capsule is improvement on the design. 180° rejection is even better than the original. The shape is spot on, it's just that flat k47 is gentler in the midrange.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230728_211541.jpg
    Screenshot_20230728_211541.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 5
Interesting: I didn't expect that might higher frequency lift (2k to 5k) in the original as compared to what I heard amongst some originals.

These are A/B swapped into the exact same.mike?
Yes, the measurement is taken in acoustically neutral body without headbasket. I take all capsule measurements this way. The measurement also matches published Neumann's k47 response, for example the one of m147.

Edit:
Note the tolerance window in the graph, which is pretty large.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230729_070721.jpg
    Screenshot_20230729_070721.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Major update:
Here's SQ's "flat" k47 (red) against original Neumann's k47(blue). I honestly believe Ari's capsule is improvement on the design. 180° rejection is even better than the original. The shape is spot on, it's just that flat k47 is gentler in the midrange.
Thats great info an thanks for taking the time to provide this. The response is flatter but improvement technically on paper does not always equal improvement.

I hope that Ari can make available her K47 to the original curve. After all a lot of engineers and producers love what the FET47 does to the kick drum and bass cab. That midrange bump is exactly what is special about that mic on those two program materials.

I believe you refer to us as the "monkey see monkey do" but I'm also a "monkey listen and monkey understand" why I like something.

The FET47 is not a versatile mic and a two trick pony. This capsule may well give you more options but it will not give you a classic sound.

Before the age of clone mics and capsules we would just use a U87 as the versatile work horse. That's why most mic cabinets in big studios have a lot more 87's than FET47's.

I guess it comes down to what you want from your mic collection and of course no capsule option is wrong.

Last edited:
There will be an accurate K47. It's mostly done, I just have to get everything in line procedurally and finish relaunching with my new business model. Accelerated product development isn't for me, and neither is competing on the basis of price. It's caused me a lot of issues and I'm tired of lowering my standards. My capsules will remain relatively affordable, and I have some interesting other products coming down the pipeline, all made in the US.

Last edited:
I believe you refer to us as the "monkey see monkey do" but I'm also a "monkey listen and monkey understand" why I like something.
Not sure what you mean by this. What i write is my own opinion, and i explained in detail in my first post of the thread why i like this capsule just the way it is compared to the original. There are many monkeys around that like to listen and share their opinion, this monkey here is the only one that shares measurements taken under controlled conditions so average DIYer can easily see what the difference is. Cheers.

Back