Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
warehouse up and running, k47f fulfillment begins! waiting on more screws for more k87, but all existing k87 orders will be fulfilled today too
OK, they all shipped out, let me know how it went. Some of you might have gotten bumped from fedex to ups or vice versa depending on what seemed most stable at your location. Some of you also got bumped up from first class mail to fedex because our new rates are good enough that fedex was actually cheaper.

out of the frying pan. fulfillment went perfectly, but i just found out that the backplate supplier accidentally messed up the mounting screw hole size on part of the production batch after a fine run of samples, so the accessories do not fit most of the capsules. i'm going to be individually sending out m1.6 screws to everyone involved. jesus. i'm getting a bit tired of this place. their QC is otherwise lovely but they keep making odd mistakes like this. the good news is that this was actually my last order with the old machine shop...more news about that later

Last edited:
I wanted to report back to the group on my initial impressions on the flat47, for what my opinion is worth ;)
I just completed a build using the KM84-55 circuit from microphone-parts.com, a Flat47 capsule in the brass Aurycle FET body. I used it to record a few stories by Algernon Blackwood and wow is this thing warm and smooth sounding. I record straight to DAW through an ART Pro MPA II, preamp, into an SSL2 interface. Straight with no EQ, compression, etc. My next favourite capsule is the M7 type I got from 3U that I put in my DEF47 build. this makes me want to replace the quazi C12-style capsules in my ElaM 251-type builds with either the 3U M7s or these Flat 47's. Just nice and buttery, yet clear and present sounding. very nice.
After I get the files edited, I'll post links to them on Youtube.

The Insanity of Jones recorded with a Flat47

Last edited:
People are reporting that there was an issue with the ring pouring and some of them have rings that are bigger than the backplate which is causing the diaphragm to wrinkle on some but not all capsules when installed into the saddle. I apologize and If this happens to you you can contact me for a free replacement. I'm going to be honest, I don't think I can tolerate outsourcing these capsules anymore. At least not in the traditional sense to people I don't know. I've been considering a move to in-house production for a long time. I'll update you guys more on this later

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO: Yes chinese very like some foolish. Hope you can produce this capsules without too much addiction from chinese. This is best solution anyway. Also this way you can save chinese from aditional money in thier pokets and it is also very good.

Last edited:
Tell me if this happened to you and I'll get a replacement out to you, probably one of the old units with the brass rings that I know works.
Sorry to hear that you got some problems with the manufacturer... especially because everything else seems to work so good with them.
Isn’t it possible to have like one more stage of QC over there before they ship to you? Even if the price would go up a little. Do they take the responsibility or do you have to take it all on you?
Does this only happen to the newer plastic ring capsules?

Sorry to hear that you got some problems with the manufacturer... especially because everything else seems to work so good with them.
Isn’t it possible to have like one more stage of QC over there before they ship to you? Even if the price would go up a little. Do they take the responsibility or do you have to take it all on you?
Does this only happen to the newer plastic ring capsules?
The problem is my own complacency. My testing rig doesn't use screws to hold the capsule in the first place (screwing and unscrewing would be incredibly slow for an FR testing rig) so even when I randomly tested the retail batch here I missed the problem

So you can made for people who already bought it some saddles for for tape mounting for example and in this case you no need lost a lot of money on it. But it is just my opinion. This tape mounting can bit protect capsule from additional resonates.

someone pointed out to me that it might actually be that the screws are too loose on every capsule IE they set the torque limit on their electric screwdrivers wrong. I hand-tightened them and the problem went away. it still peeves me that the ring is bigger than the plate (it shouldn't be) but this does fix the problem

Latest posts

Back