Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's only about 2dB up from the base curve, a little bit less even, so it's not a ton more upper mids. Having a slope down and recession like this comes from through hole issues and also messes with the pattern response. The red curve looks upper mid-heavy in comparison but keep in mind that's a little over half as much as many neumann k47s and a third as much as most Chinese ones, at least on my setup, so I wouldn't call it "way more". I still have to decide whether to go with a mid forward tuning or a flat one like the flat k47
You are right, of course. It was late over here when I wrote "way more" - I didn't check the graph properly. It looked 5dB-ish...

I love my Thiersch PVC M7, but it does sound a little “scooped” to me. Sometimes that’s good for certain voices, but it’s definitely not as flat as your Flat K47, and I could see the benefit of a capsule in between those two.
I’ve never tested the red and blue lines in the same circuit and body (I may have an opportunity to do so soon), so take this with a grain of salt. But yes, I also find the PVC version (blue) sounds a little 'scooped.' In contrast, the mylar version sounds a bit mid-heavy to me. That shouldn’t be the case according to the manufacturer, which makes it a bit mysterious.

Looking forward to hearing the Soliloquuen's M7. I don’t mind how it’s voiced, but that extra high-frequency extension compared to a K47 won’t hurt 🤗

Back