Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to the k87 capsules! Keep up the great work!
Still available for emergencies. What's happening is we are running into an issue where the skins are ending up too tight on this specific model, capsule sounds great but between one and two decibels light in the low bass compared to a very bassy vintage k67. That's still between one and two decibels more than a modern k870, but it's not how it's designed to sound. I'm split on it because as it is right now, it's definitely good enough for almost everybody. But it's not good enough for me and it's my product... But at the same time, should I hold up people's orders for something they might not even care about? I'm back and forth on it. So I'm fulfilling k87 orders on request for people who understand and can work around the issue. After these k47s get done I'll have 50 or so made for urgent orders.

Still available for emergencies. What's happening is we are running into an issue where the skins are ending up too tight on this specific model, capsule sounds great but between one and two decibels light in the low bass compared to a very bassy vintage k67. That's still between one and two decibels more than a modern k870, but it's not how it's designed to sound. I'm split on it because as it is right now, it's definitely good enough for almost everybody. But it's not good enough for me and it's my product... But at the same time, should I hold up people's orders for something they might not even care about? I'm back and forth on it. So I'm fulfilling k87 orders on request for people who understand and can work around the issue. After these k47s get done I'll have 50 or so made for urgent orders.
In our realm … quality is worth the wait … and I am certain most of us appreciate your desire to be as perfect as possible !!!

Thank you for your tenacity, @soliloqueen !

Last edited:
We just finished up QC on the accurate k47s. Here's all 100. Starting on the flat ones now and then once those are done we will do the 87s.
View attachment 129263

Pretty good! Significantly tighter than vintage Neumann but not as tight as I'd like. I might invest in a harder plastic for the spacers.
Great!

Would you be willing to share the scale here? Is it 1dB per division, or something else?

Great!

Would you be willing to share the scale here? Is it 1dB per division, or something else?
Sorry, for some reason this is the only one I had saved to my phone
1000007644.png
Indeed, only about plus or minus 1dB variation in overall sensitivity. Keep in mind also that this blob of curves is all solid and doesn't show where the curves are distributed, so the tolerances are even tighter than they look here.

“Just TWO more …”

Always buy in stereo pairs (a lesson learned from Bruce Swedien) …
It is a wise advice. Even if they are not used in various double configurations, in case one breaks down you have an immediate backup.
You appreciate something the most when you no longer have it.

You'll probably wanna skip the whole feedback network (that cuts the low-lows as well as the high frequencies). Which means you end up with a K84-like circuit - FET847 anyone?
Hi everyone,

the Mic with the PCB from Michael Fuchs is successfully built (U87A) and it's working great with a cheap capsule. Now, I plan to switch to a K47 by Arienne until the K87 arrives or maybe I’ll like it so much that I won’t switch it anyway..
I have a couple of questions regarding this:

1. How do the 60 Hz affect the Arienne Audio K47? Can I install the capsule without concerns?
  2. Regarding the feedback network: I'm not sure where it is located in the circuit. Is there a simple way to identify and bypass the relevant part to get a more km84isch mic? (Maybe that’s the wrong thread for this question?)

Thanks in advance for your help!

How do the 60 Hz affect the Arienne Audio K47? Can I install the capsule without concerns?

I doubt there's any reason any condenser capsule would be any more RFI-sensitive than any other - that's more an issue of how well the body / headbasket / grounding form an effective faraday cage around the capsule & circuitry.

Regarding the feedback network: I'm not sure where it is located in the circuit. Is there a simple way to identify and bypass the relevant part to get a more km84isch mic? (Maybe that’s the wrong thread for this question?)

Wrong thread perhaps, but just remove the 470nF capacitor between the JFET drain and whatever resistors & capacitors that connects to (as in, NOT the capacitor between the JFET drain and transformer primary. If that's "above your pay grade", maybe just stick with what you know? Or wait a bit more until I'm done with some of my boards... :D

Latest posts

Back