Some G9 questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoke,

The early prototype (and now also the commercial version) had a relay for the instrument switching, the later ones are switched-through-the-instrument-input-jack. Thus no need for an "instrument" posisition of the selector switch.

Jakob E.

hi

i have a melodium trafo (1:8 found with my tests)
from my founded mixing desk.

i wanna know if 1:8 is to high for
the G9 inputs ?

the trafo sound very good !! very natural
with just a little little smooth high end
(tested in loop with the A/D D/A...)

thanks ++

I'm looking into the possibility of combining the G9 pre with the Pultec EQ to make a pair of channel strips.

Will the G9 PSU handle the extra load?

Can the EQ be "squeezed" into the G9 circuit, after the gain control, so that they share the same output stage?

Are there any other considerations here that you can think of?

Yeah that would be pretty cool having an all purpose G9, with EQ and compressor possibly. I think Jacob has something like that in his other commersial products, yet not avaiable for DIY.

I'm like a day or two from first powerup of my G9. Its said to be pretty popular for bass, i plan to try it, but without EQ I might want to connect it through a bass amp just for EQ(input channel 2 on Fenders). I just have to find out if impedences match...

Just make the G9 then the pultec EQ then build a DIY rack case, hook them up and your all set :)

alo smoke
i`ve done a g9 and let me tell you this:
superb on vocals with a solidtube(akg).
better on snare(at least to me) than my api 3124;lots of air(space?).
makes egt stand out in amix that is already full with egt.
good on bass,altough i prefer the api.
let me tell you this:a g9,a joe malone 99v and i hope fabios api,and you`ll have very nice pre`s to record lots of stuff.
but this is just my opinion.
best regards
pedro

[quote author="louder"]
let me tell you this:a g9,a joe malone 99v and i hope fabios api,and you`ll have very nice pre`s to record lots of stuff.
but this is just my opinion.
[/quote]
... not just your opinion Pedro
Fabios layout or any simple 312 derivative
you will have mic-pres to judge others by. :thumb:

I still think the simple Green-Pre offers more than the parts would suggest.

alo
kev,i said "hope",just because i am a zero on electronics,and hope to build well those api`s that mastermind fabio did.
just a note to my post:when i talk about bass guitar,i mean with a microphone(d112).
another note:my g9 has lundhal transformers.
best regards
pedro

just another note:
i still prefer 12ax7 tubes in and out in the g9.makes the sound stronger(?),and i think it gives more output.
well, no matter what it`s just a wonderfull pre,that it`s always switched on.
best regards
pedro

[quote author="louder"] ...
kev,i said "hope",just because i am a zero on electronics,and hope to build well those api`s that mastermind fabio did.
[/quote]

I wasn't just talking about the API

the others you mentioned are just as useful and worthy of any Mic-pre collection.

.....and with the amount of money one spends with a 3124,one can build 10 jlm 99v,or 10 g9 wich are in the same league of the 3124(4 chanels).
best regards
pedro

[quote author="louder"]just another note:
i still prefer 12ax7 tubes in and out in the g9.makes the sound stronger(?),and i think it gives more output.
well, no matter what it`s just a wonderfull pre,that it`s always switched on.
best regards
pedro[/quote]

so you've tried it? a few weeks ago I asked about putting 12ax7's in the G9, ill give it a go as soon as I complete mine.

About the Lundahl/OEP question... I've found its impossible to answer. If you search the forum theres lots of talk about which one to use.

My conclusion is that if you don't know already you're probably unexperienced enough so that it would matter to you. The real answer is that they both sound good in different ways. Words alone most likely would not be enough to describe this difference. Theres people on this forum that have one channel OEP and one Lundahls, and half of them only use the OEP and the other half use the Lundahl's. Go figure.

In order to attempt to describe the "difference", it has been discussed here that Lundahl transformers are more clean and not noticable in the circuit. OEP tend to add a bit of colour (color) which is very pleasant to the ear. Someone may correct me if im wrong or just add their opinions.

Here in Australia you can get an OEP with the can for 55$ (get the screening cans), and the lundahls for 65$. I went with the OEP's. You just have to try, but that means a thinner wallet just for the ambition. Thats why I said that if you don't know it probably wouldn't matter :)

Goodluck.

[quote author="Smoke"]Here in Australia you can get an OEP with the can for 55$ (get the screening cans), and the lundahls for 65$. [/quote]

Lundahls ... :mad: ... from whom ?
Rick ?
my quote was 3 to 4 times that.

Sometimes it pays to ask twice! :wink:

Watch those shipping charges though - RS doesn't give you an option other than courier so you'll find your final costs close to $80. Rick was able to send Australia Post so the shipping cost was a bit lower.

When all is said and done each transformer ends up costing the same...in Australia that is. No $14 OEPs here.

[quote author="mnats"]Sometimes it pays to ask twice! :wink: [/quote]

I was being polite

I'm pretty sure he knew who I was
and I didn't ask for any favours, just a fair quote
not much chance I'll do business with them ... or with an importer of another famous trafo

Dear Sir,

I'm writing to enquire about a device I received a quote on some time ago. I'm wondering if the price has changed due to the favourable increase in the value of the Australian dollar...

Dunno. Just a thought.

I'm fairly certain he has no idea who I am and the quote was pretty much in line with what people in the US or Europe would pay.

good thought and good approach
:roll:
I fear that as our original exchange got somewhat heated I may have burnt my bridges.
It was quite a long saga and I did communicate with Per as well ... alas he was too honourable to change the existing status quo.
I've said too much

It's all good

Perhaps your little exchange paved the way for reasonable Lundahls for the rest of us. Who knows?

The distribution models some manufacturers use do create a protected market for more than just transformers though which local distributors seem eager to exploit. You could buy a digital camera from Amazon and have it sent to Australia; even with shipping you could save hundreds. But the camera manufacturers won't allow Amazon to sell their products directly to Australia to protect the distributors. Solution? Buy grey market goods which the manufacturers have no control over.

Don't even get me started on the price of musical gear here... Why should we pay an extra 50 to 100%? Just because the market is smaller? Are the distributors here entitled to earn as much as distributors in other, larger markets even if they have less actual product to handle (and less paperwork, employees etc)?

I wonder if the recently signed and soon to be implemented free trade agreement will have any effect on the distribution monopolies. Maybe someday everything will be available over the internet and the retailers will have to work in a truly "free market" - that amorphous concept that gets trumpeted by governments and business alike.

not much chance I'll do business with them ... or with an importer of another famous trafo

Been trying to figure out which one you mean. OEPs are certainly overpriced by both Farnell and RS here. Hammonds are ridiculous. In fact, it's hard to think of ONE transformer brand that isn't distributed here at a price comparable to the rest-of-the-world. Except Lundahl :wink:

I've said too much!

Latest posts

Back