Sontec: hardware bypass, balanced THAT I/O, MS, power supply - at one PCB!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Borje: Those switches I linked on eBay are the cheapest I've found and i'm pretty sure are identical to uraltone switches. The seller is very reliable and I've made two purchases from them, 20x 24step and 8x 12step on separate orders. Even shipping is very reasonable.

Igor: Unfortunately I don't think they fit with a horizontal layout. The 'uraltone' switches are around 30-35mm diameter (roughly the same size as the scales on the front panel) so space is very tight.

druu said:
Igor: Unfortunately I don't think they fit with a horizontal layout. The 'uraltone' switches are around 30-35mm diameter (roughly the same size as the scales on the front panel) so space is very tight.

Yes, but the Q switches don't have to be Uraltone and can be smaller ones. Say, 78x65mm per band. Uraltone switches, to be at safe side, are 38mm.
Lorlin switches are 26.5mm (approx.). Add two switches for band 6/0/12db and shelve/bell and feel happy.... It fits... with some squeezing ;)

Attachments

• snt_bnd.jpg
    snt_bnd.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 35
As well, the layout can be symmetric: freq/gains at the top and bottom; q and toggles at the midline of panel(or vice versa).
So, stepped Sontec isn't so far from your dreams - and no need to cut filter PCB's (nightmare  IMO)... To summarize:

-Horizontal front panel layout, one channel under another
-Uraltone switches for Freq/Gain, with SMD 1206 resistors
-Lorlin etc switches for Q, 6 or 12 positions for midrange, 6 positions for low
-Gains can be wired through 7k5 or 4k7 resistors to breadboard with separated by ground cut/boost lines - saves wiring;
the cut/boost/ground lines than going right to summing (old version) or MS PCB, possible to use balanced shielded cable for this purpose.
-6/0/12db switches can be easy implemented by change of 20k summing resistors for mid bands and 10k resistor for hi shelve
(twice resistance will give 6 db range)
-Still there is place for power and M/S switches (78x5=390mm, will fit in every possible case). Possible to reserve for bands even 80mm,
it will fit in most cases with  more than 415mm inside. Just mind, the weirdest case I know - Schroff Multipack with nice sides from aluminum profile-have 405mm inside.
The high band can be squeezed for some millimetres if gain/freq put in diagonal way.

The internal depth of case if switches are used way should be: about 55mm for switches + 60mm for filter boards + 140mm for ms board + some space...
Say, 280 mm will fit good and 300-320 will leave some room inside.

Igor said:
As well, the layout can be symmetric: freq/gains at the top and bottom; q and toggles at the midline of panel(or vice versa).
So, stepped Sontec isn't so far from your dreams - and no need to cut filter PCB's (nightmare  IMO)... To summarize:

-Horizontal front panel layout, one channel under another
-Uraltone switches for Freq/Gain, with SMD 1206 resistors
-Lorlin etc switches for Q, 6 or 12 positions for midrange, 6 positions for low
-Gains can be wired through 7k5 or 4k7 resistors to breadboard with separated by ground cut/boost lines - saves wiring;
the cut/boost/ground lines than going right to summing (old version) or MS PCB, possible to use balanced shielded cable for this purpose.
-6/0/12db switches can be easy implemented by change of 20k summing resistors for mid bands and 10k resistor for hi shelve
(twice resistance will give 6 db range)
-Still there is place for power and M/S switches (78x5=390mm, will fit in every possible case). Possible to reserve for bands even 80mm,
it will fit in most cases with  more than 415mm inside. Just mind, the weirdest case I know - Schroff Multipack with nice sides from aluminum profile-have 405mm inside.
The high band can be squeezed for some millimetres if gain/freq put in diagonal way.

The internal depth of case if switches are used way should be: about 55mm for switches + 60mm for filter boards + 140mm for ms board + some space...
Say, 280 mm will fit good and 300-320 will leave some room inside.

That's how i was planning of doing it, cut no boards.....

Sorry for a stupid question
I can't find 12pf condenser ( C1-C12)
What value can I use ( with no problems) ?
Thanks

thanks druu
but I wanted to know if I can usare15pf I already ...
I would not make an order for two capacitors ...
thanks

ilfungo said:
but I wanted to know if I can usare15pf I already ...
...or two of your 15pF caps in parallel (=30pF) for LPF at only 265kHz, if your DOA (whatever type at whatever GBW this might be) can handle this at all. A 12pF for a LPF at 663kHz will even challenge bats.

Thanks Harpo!
I just finished my Sontec with M / S option and the sound is wonderful.
But I have a strange problem ...
in M / S mode the R channel (Side) HF does not work, everything else ok.
In L/R mode works
What can it be?
thanks

ilfungo said:
in M / S mode the R channel (Side) HF does not work, everything else ok.
In L/R mode works
What can it be?
If it works in L/R mode and in other M/S mode frequency bands, this "HF does not work" anomaly doesn't seem build related but signal related. The side channel operates the level difference between L/R. No L/R difference -> no level for your S-channel to operate. You might be feeding your Igortec EQ with a mono/center HF signal ?

I sent in 'eq a final master (stereo) ....
I have just a little time, I want to re-check all connections....
Thanks

Igor on the BOM it says that the MS/Bypass switch should be a ON-OFF-ON.  Is that correct?  Shouldn't it be just a ON-OFF?

I'm trying to get this together so I can confirm the fit in my case!

More questions to come I am sure.  But either way thanks, this is a fun project to be working on.

Ok, for some reason I thought it didn't have bypass.  Nice feature.  Ok back to working on this.  Thanks

Anyone have a source for those ALPHASTAT pots in the US?

What is the best sounding/quality - *easily available, 2  990/ +/-24V DISCRETE FAST LOW NOISE OP-AMP to use for this project and where will I be able to get them, I am really struggling with this.... cost is not a factor just the availability... any help would be much appreciated!!

Probably not what you're after, but the APP992's are supposedly really good for this project. I've yet to finish my EQ but these DOA's will be used. I'll report how it sounds once completed.

Finally finished! Just finished testing every single control through sweeps and all checks out!

Not as tidy as I'd like but happy it's completed! Huge thanks to Harpo for allowing me to badger for advice. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/odm1q6iqhtwg3yi/Photo%2024-11-12%206%2012%2002%20PM.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7c2qrzcgrqaon4e/Photo%2024-11-12%206%2012%2009%20PM.jpg

Latest posts

Back