Soundcraft 800b, apparently modded

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Off75

Hi all,

I've recently acquired a Soundcraft 800b (24x8) for very cheap. I used to have a 200b that I liked (that was a long time ago)
It seems to work well apart from some sticky pots (all lights, leds work, Vu meters react well to the oscillator).

Unfortunately, I couldn't test it properly because this mixer only has XLR Male connectors on the back instead of female (for the mic inputs...)
I'm wondering what those are for? what output could that be? Direct out maybe?

It also has 2 big Socaplex 37 male connectors (1-12, 13-24) so I assume those are for the mic inputs? If so, it's not good news as those cables/stagebox are pretty expensive!
On the other hand, I've checked the 8017 modules and they all have a Sowter transformer on it which I didn't expect!

It also has a funny Aux mod where each of the 24 channels has 4 switches for pre/post sends. Then there's a channel where there are 2 sets of 8 switches that allow to route the sends (I guess?) to the groups, Auxs or LR mix...

Finally, it has 8x 8016 modules with a "Sends Matrix" that I haven't yet understood what its purpose is. It seems to be designed for live applications, but without audio going through it, it's hard to understand from the manual.

If anyone has a clue or tips, please let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_3931.jpg
    IMG_3931.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3934.jpg
    IMG_3934.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3935.jpg
    IMG_3935.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
The reverse gender inputs are sometimes used in location recording or other film related stuff. Or as suggested above, set up maybe for live recording or as a monitor desk. Whatever the reason, if it's not useful to you as is, just change the connectors back or make up an adapter loom.

I'm thinking about getting rid of those 2 Socapex connectors (which I assume are the mic inputs), to desolder the wires and maybe use a harting connector instead that I could use with a stage box.
The XLR Male connectors are connected to those wires. I don't have the schematics but I can see it's labeled Line Out on the board so it might be related.

Attachments

• IMG_3946.jpg
    IMG_3946.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back