SSL 9K & 4K (E Series) 500 / 51X NEW BOARDS Mic Pre Thread 2011

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tzman,

Thanks I'll try that!

Have you got any idea where i could get the IC 402 - 78L05Z from? maybe I'm just to blind to detect it on mouser?

Thank you!

Best,
Christian

tzman said:
Someone may need to confirm this, but I think any 78L05 in TO-92 package would do.

I just used a To-92 voltage regulator.  This is just providing 5V for the meter circuit and is not in the audio path.

Hey Guys,

Thanks a lot, you help me so much!

Do you think that this Relay in the mouser link below will work?
http://at.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=G6A-234P-ST-US-DC12virtualkey65300000virtualkey653-G6A-234P-DC12

This is the last thing I need to know, then I got everything! ;-)

Best,
Christian

bruno2000 said:
Piotr said:
Hi !

thanks for the great project. I was preparing the BOM, and was wondering if those relays from Mouser were suitable, seems like it but I guess it's always better to triple check...

http://fr.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Omron/G6A-234P-ST-US-DC12/?qs=Rh%252baoYk36r44D%252b4zwAkJTQ%3d%3d

I believe those relays will work fine.
Best,
Bruno2000

:) Should work!

I've got a design question. What's the purpose of the bridge rectifier after the 1646 ? Protecting the output ?
I've never seen something like this in a design before.

One of my two 9K preamps:

2rr2gy1.jpg

Hi all,

Just wanted to come back and say thanks for a great project. It's been a few months since I completed my pair of 9Ks, but have been waiting on knobs to arrive, so wasn't anything worth posting until now. Anyway, pretty much a pretty standard config. These along with my Studer169s were my first non-kit builds. Don't have many pre-amps right now, but can honestly say that these are currently my favourites!

Cheers,

Kaz

Attachments

• ssl-9k.jpg
    ssl-9k.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 109
Hi.

First off,  the POM really really sucks. THAT 1646 PO8-U (make it a zero at least)
Also the soldering pads are taking solder really bad, maybe its just me, but I had really hard time putting this board together. Probably one of the difficultest PCB I had ever worked with.

Audio Maintance has no pots for 9K. Does anyone have anything lying around? (triple 47k Log and Dual 2k2 Log)
Or where to get some?

Has anyone thought of stacking Pots? Some one should sell some parts so that you could buy some standard 16mm pots, remove discks and build a needed pot in what ever configuration. That would rock!

Otherwise a great project! Can't wait to hear how it sounds!

served said:
Hi.

First off,  the POM really really sucks. THAT 1646 PO8-U (make it a zero at least)
Also the soldering pads are taking solder really bad, maybe its just me, but I had really hard time putting this board together. Probably one of the difficultest PCB I had ever worked with.

Audio Maintance has no pots for 9K. Does anyone have anything lying around? (triple 47k Log and Dual 2k2 Log)
Or where to get some?

Has anyone thought of stacking Pots? Some one should sell some parts so that you could buy some standard 16mm pots, remove discks and build a needed pot in what ever configuration. That would rock!

In my opinion you should first acquaint yourself with reading a BOM (not POM) instead of complaining over other people's work.
All pots are stocked at AML at the moment, by the way. And you are the first reporting problems with the PCB...

Best,
Carsten

I had no problems other than the phase issue,  but it is a dense board with lots of small parts and pads.

So you need a good, clean (new), sharp solder tip.
If you have had the boards around for a while, clean board vigorously (alcohol or acetone might help).
Rosen core solder of course.  I find 63/37 (67/33?) flows nicest - No lead solder is no fun.

culteousness1 said:
served said:
Hi.

Or where to get some?

In my opinion you should first acquaint yourself with reading a BOM (not POM) instead of complaining over other people's work.
All pots are stocked at AML at the moment, by the way. And you are the first reporting problems with the PCB...

Best,
Carsten

Hi Carsten,

Sorry for the typo.
English is not my native language but I will try my best.

I could not find any 2.2K log pot, there is only reverse log pots with 20mm diameter.
My citicism just comes from my own expectances and I completelly agree that there has been alot of work involved. I just pointed out that BOM as this is actually a very simple fix to do. If no one complains then there will be no improvement right.

Back