SSL 9K & 4K (E Series) 500 / 51X NEW BOARDS Mic Pre Thread 2011

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
I have these pcb's since years, and the doppler studio website is down. Is there a way to find the bom somewhere?
Thanks!

hey folks!

I plan to build another SSL 9k5 again.

I have a question to this:
Is there a good replacement for the MAT-02H (more and more discontinued and also very expensive) ?

Iam thinking about a AS194H or something like that - any recommendation on this?

Furthermore if there are recommended replacements in case of better quality (less noisy) for the ICs - let me know ;)

Thank you ;)

Last edited:
hey folks!

I plan to build another SSL 9k5 again.

I have a question to this:
Is there a good replacement for the MAT-02H (more and more discontinued and also very expensive) ?

Iam thinking about a AS194H or something like that - any recommendation on this?

Furthermore if there are recommended replacements in case of better quality (less noisy) for the ICs - let me know ;)

Thank you ;)
Hi Frejo.

I built 2 pairs SSL 9K with LM394, and its sound alrigh, never use MAT02 myself.

Cheers

Ip.

Thanks for the information ;)
So like I read, the AS194H is a replacement for the LM394 so far.

Do they all have the same pinout (AS194, LM394, MAT02) ?

There also is an AS394 around - should be nearly the same thing as the LM394

I have these pcb's since years, and the doppler studio website is down. Is there a way to find the bom somewhere?

some more docs,
the schematic and the Polarity switch Fix for the original PCB

Attachments

• SSL 9K 51X 42xSIG Polarity Fix.pdf
    215.7 KB · Views: 0
  • SSL 9K-42Sch.pdf
    63.8 KB · Views: 1
SSL 4K E series for the 500 standard

Docs:

SSL 4k5 2.JPG

Attachments

• SSL 4K MIC PRE_Farnell_DE_BOM.xlsx.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SSL4K51X Schematic.pdf
    52.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SSL4KBOM11.pdf
    13.3 KB · Views: 0
Hi,

I don’t know whether anyone is able to help me troubleshoot an SSL 9K I’m helping a friend out with?

The supply rails from my 500 series rack are bang on at +16v, 0v, -16v – all other modules are removed for the purposes of testing.

When I connect the module up (using an extension cable) I see a slight shift in the supply voltage at pins 12 & 14 to +16.7v & -15.3v (i.e. still 32v peak to peak but with a small offset), however if I engage any of the relays on the pad, phase or hpf I see a radical offset, and my rails become +23.4v and -8.6v (measured to ground). This change happens over a period of about half a second. This is all without ICs in place and the meter board disconnected. I don't want to try with the ICs inserted as long as the positive rail is exceeding their 22v rating, and I'm assuming this isn't inteded behaviour!

Things I’ve tried already:
  • Confirmed the value of every resistor, both visually and with a multimeter
  • Reflowed every solder joint, and generally tidied up the soldering
  • Cleaned the board with isopropyl alcohol
  • Checked continuity to ground of every component that should be at ground
  • Removed and checked the HFE of the MAT02 (it read 332, which seems a little on the low side, however the behaviour didn’t change without it in the circuit)
  • Removed, measured and resoldered all of the 100nF power supply filter caps
  • Removed, measured and resoldered all of the 220uF electrolytic capacitors (in both of the above cases I still encountered the problem engaging the relays with the capacitors removed, eliminating the possibility that any of those caps had failed and were leaking current to ground – I think?!)
I guess the problem is something bridging to ground that shouldn’t be, but I’m damned if I can work out what and I’m running out of options! Any suggestions of what to check next? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back