SSL 9K D.C. coupled or not?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In several text books I`ve been reading they describe DC coupled as standing for "direct coupled" & not that the circuit will pass DC.

Is it possible that there is room for ambiguity in what the term DC coupled actually means ?

> Advanced DC-coupled analogue technology offered a new high in audio performance

Read it carefully. It does not say "DC coupled everywhere". A Dynaco tube amp is DC-coupled from first stage to second stage (grid strapped to plate) but sure is not DC-coupled from jack to screw. It won't do what the DC-300 would do: hold an output DC level. (The DC-300 was intended as a bench-amp, for shaker-tables and even arbitrary-waveform power sources. Nobody in their right mind needed anything that big just to drive loudspeakers.) Maybe they found a way to DC-couple more advanced than a half-inch wire, and maybe they get high on the result. But they aren't even claiming it will pass DC, just a new high.

> Is it possible that there is room for ambiguity in what the term DC coupled actually means?

Humpty says yes. And modern marking writers make Humpty look clear.

> describe DC coupled as standing for "direct coupled"

There is also that. The concepts are related but not identical. Capacitor and inductor coupling won't pass DC. A direct connection will, but raises problems often solved by sacrificing DC amplification.

> Who in their right minds spends that sort of money on a console without getting some kind of peek ..at the bloody schematics?

You can't judge a book by its outline, or fully understand a complex schematic in realistic time. It it is any good, a large-console schematic has person-years of thought put into it. If I have the cash to buy it, I'm probably not going to have time for a detailed study and re-calculation. Consoles are bought by name and model and sound and gross specs, with demo/rental/trials on big-ticket machines. If it interfaces politely with everything in the studio, and does its job, and sounds fine, who cares if the schematic looks like an explosion in a fish-gut factory, or if they use the "wrong" model transistors? Details make the difference between "similar" machines, details too subtle to appriciate at a glance. There are some very old schematics where we can still discover subtle details.

[quote author="StDomingo"]Who in their right minds spends that sort of money on a console without getting some kind of peek at the bloody schematics?[/quote]
I've known loads of people lay down long green for consoles based on the maker's name alone... Examples of this being a bad idea were the original Neve V-series (Strawberry studios in Stockport got the first one) and a good example was the original Focusrite (in-line) console.

At no time were schematics available for any of them. My current employers decide what we buy, and currently own probably several hundred consoles. They've never seen a schematic, and my input has been consulted occasionally, but y influence over purchase decision is slight-to-none... But then, if I bought a console, I probably couldn;t make money with it. They can.

Keith

Back