stay at home type 69 project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking about building a pair of these - I'd like to use the original panel layout but the bass switch looks obviously not be a standard 30deg index angle switch. Does anyone know the specs of the original switch? I did find a 2 deck 2-23 pos switch that's a 15deg index angle but it's over $100! A bit too expensive to get one to just try it out.

Also does anyone know the dimensions of the original console panels?

here's the preliminary panel design I did in FPD for reference.

.View attachment 92922
Hello Mike.

The original panels are 1 3/4" wide & 7" tall. 3.3mm thick. Bass switch is a 24 pole elma. Mid, high & HPF switches are the small blue 12 pole elmas. If there's anything else you need to know ask me.

Last edited:
Just a few words to thank Matt for sharing this project, as well as for his help and the very useful and clear explanations of the module for a novice like me!
This EQ Preamp sounds really good. The Sowter/2128 amp combo is a very good surprise for me, I didn't really know what to expect, I'm not a big expert on Helios modules. Fantastic.....
The 3 bands EQ is really flexible and versatile ( by the way thanks to Ian for his open source work)
Thanks also to TwentyTrees for sharing his layout easily modifiable according to your version.

1659131666520.jpeg 1659131711806.jpeg

🙌
👏👏👏👏👏👏

WOW, that's really impressive. It looks great, very well done.
Did you do the PCB and Front Panels yourself?

Love the color

Congratulations
Thanks Whoops! The pcb is made from Mat's gerber file , for the front panel I modified the layout shared by TwentyTrees they were made by Franck @frontpanel.de
For the color I was inspired by the Ramport Studio Helios console.
1659162946857.jpeg

Thanks Whoops! The pcb is made from Mat's gerber file , for the front panel I modified the layout shared by TwentyTrees they were made by Franck @frontpanel.de
For the color I was inspired by the Ramport Studio Helios console.
View attachment 96690

That’s a beautiful console for sure, nice color choice.
Wish I could have the time to also do some modules like yours

KakaoTalk_Photo_2022-09-15-22-07-49 002.jpegKakaoTalk_Photo_2022-09-15-22-07-48 001.jpeg

I've got PCBs and everything in the BOM except 7490 for H9!

Really appreciate Matt providing this great project to community. I can't wait sowter transformer will be arrived!

And also appreciate @TwentyTrees providing great front panel layout. I ordered a sample for my version based on your design at some front panel company in my country(S.Korea). Because I want to find some domestic supplier for DIY devices.

I have a question about output buffer.(It might be silly.)

If I made a small board of output buffer of H9M(A) and cut the trace of (B) and attach to V+, V- and between cutting point of H9, will it be functional?

If it won't work like that I'll be satisfied with just H9 of course.

Thank you everyone to make this happen.

Schematic_IA-H9M_1.png
Schematic_IA-H9_1.png

Re front panel layout - you're very welcome, I'm glad it helped.

On the buffer - on a quick view, looks like it should work if you only connect at the three points you've marked up. It's certainly how I'd approach it.

Good luck and have fun with your builds!

Thanks! I’ve got front panel, but I forgot to calculate dimensions of rotary switch and 3-way toggle.

Now I have to fill some holes and drill again and do some test assembling before ordering panel again. I’ve got lessons that I have to do some test before ordering something.

Of course I can try to get smaller switch, but in my country sourcing panel is bit easier than parts I think;(

The panel was quite nicer than my expectation though.
4514A5DD-997B-4B67-87C8-5F0D3029517A.jpeg

Thanks! I’ve got front panel, but I forgot to calculate dimensions of rotary switch and 3-way toggle.

Now I have to fill some holes and drill again and do some test assembling before ordering panel again. I’ve got lessons that I have to do some test before ordering something.

Of course I can try to get smaller switch, but in my country sourcing panel is bit easier than parts I think;(

The panel was quite nicer than my expectation though.
View attachment 98542
Is that a powder coated aluminum? Most of my 500x panels that I made, were from 3mm thick black/white matte acrylic sheets. For the legends I used a UV flatbed printer that prints directly on the surface.

To avoid having parts that don't fit the holes, or ending up filling them because they are too big, always check the part data sheet for its mechanical drawing when you design your panel :)

Back