Sucker's Delight - your favorite low budget solder sucker?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock soderstrom

Tour de France
Hi guys, I am looking for a cheap solder sucker. The emphasis is on cheap, because I need it only from time to time. I would put max. 30€ as a price ceiling for the passive and 50€ for the heated (are they any good?).

So, what are your favorites and why?

PS: Please no top devices for a few hundred or thousand bugs. I have worked during my basic electronics training with such devices, they are great, no question. Unfortunately, much too expensive for the few moments where I need such devices - makes no sense.

Cheers

I got an Engineer Ss-02 a couple of weeks ago but to be honest I haven't tried it yet. I bought it because I've read some good comments online. Hopefully, it'll serve me well...

The sanction tip is a little piece of silicone and you can get replacements. In fact, it comes with a long silicon tube when you buy it.

Note that the size is on the short side. The main body is around 4" so if you have big fat hands, it might be a bit uncomfortable to use.

engineer-ss-02-solder-sucker-review-1.jpg

Last edited:
I got an Engineer Ss-02 a couple of weeks ago but to be honest I haven't tried it yet. I bought it because I've read some good comments online. Hopefully, it'll serve me well...
I have also read about this one. It is also sold under other brand names.

I am curious about your experiences!

Last edited:
I probably should have checked current pricing, I think I paid around $20 for mine but that was 20, hmm.. 30? years ago?
Every other spring loaded pump type I have tried is absolute crap, but these are great and last forever (nozzles are replaceable).
I would not hesitate to buy a used one, and they make one that is not anti-static (model 196?) that should cost less.

I probably should have checked current pricing, I think I paid around $20 for mine but that was 20, hmm.. 30? years ago?
Every other spring loaded pump type I have tried is absolute crap, but these are great and last forever (nozzles are replaceable).
I would not hesitate to buy a used one, and they make one that is not anti-static (model 196?) that should cost less.
Good to know, thanks for your feedback! It seems we are at the same age 😎

I love the engineer pump as a work box item, and I love their tools in general. Awesome for portability. On the bench, they tend to get gummed up too quickly and need a really thorough cleaning to get the same vacuum strength back.
Check out:
Jonard Industries DP-100
This 13” goofy looking thing has been much more reliable and has been on my bench at home for a decade with no issues at all.

Thanks to all for the good suggestions!👍

Right now I'm leaning towards the engineer pump, it meets my requirements and price point the best, I can get it for around 25€ including shipping on Amazon.

There are other very similar solder suckers on Amazon like the one from Vampier that look exactly like this. Who is the original? Differences?

Does anyone have experience with these guys for small money? It is advantageous to have the heating element and the sucker in one. Are they any good?

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09P68G1MP...&pd_rd_r=165e360e-17b1-4598-aaa5-13cc2ed5d4e0

After watching a video of Jim Williams repairing Tom Osborne's Tektronix 465B I switched to high quality solder wick for small jobs. It takes skill and patience, but is totally zen.

I tried it, doesn't work for me. I am too stupid. 🤪

I guess the solder wick I used was too cheap.
What's the name of the good stuff?

This is way over your price point, but i have to say its worth EVERY penny. You can pretty much dismantle anything through hole with it, transformers included. It's saved me from so many mistakes and has allowed me to salvage parts from old equipment with ease. Has paid for itself 10x over.

STATION DESOLDER ZD-985 GUN DESOLDERING 110V PUMP ASPIRATE SUCTION POND DISPLAY LCD CONTROLLED TEMPERATURE - - Amazon.com
Yes, desoldering signal transformers on double-sided PCBs is my worst case scenario. This happens to me from time to time and my old plastic sucker failed regularly.

Can an engineer sucker do it? The +170€ for a ZD985 is too much for me.

Latest posts

Back