Sucker's Delight - your favorite low budget solder sucker?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After watching a video of Jim Williams repairing Tom Osborne's Tektronix 465B I switched to high quality solder wick for small jobs. It takes skill and patience, but is totally zen.

This scope must weight a ton 😮 I’d love to have one of these 👌🏻😎 I also love the way they have sorted their parts on the table 😅 ✌🏻😎

On the old single sided PCB's without through hole plating be very carefull using the sucker , the recoil can easily tear a solder pad off the board , wick is more gentle and cleans everything up perfectly .

I have an old Weller desolder station with a vaccum pump, foot switch opperated , trouble is the iron tip has disintegrated years ago ,
I might try hooking up a sucker tip to the vaccum pipe , then use the a regular iron in the other hand to apply the heat , the handy thing is the vaccum pump causes no recoil like the spring does .
I tend to prefer the fully insulated solder suckers nowadays , not the metal ones ,its a safer bet if theres likely to be any residual high voltage around .

I have a spare, working TEK465, including confused DM44-meter that you can have - but it's local pickup only (11.5kg, unpackable)

/Jakob E.
Supercool, thanks! Just wanted to express how cool I find the analogue Oszis.. I got a digital 4 ch for a while now 👌🏻☺️
Where located? Maybe someone else is interested?

On the old single sided PCB's without through hole plating be very carefull using the sucker , the recoil can easily tear a solder pad off the board , wick is more gentle and cleans everything up perfectly .
True. When heating those, I hold the trace/far-side component hole (copper loop) down with the iron, then suck -- for exactly that reason.

I tried it, doesn't work for me. I am too stupid. 🤪

I guess the solder wick I used was too cheap.
What's the name of the good stuff?
This Wick from ERSA is good for me. "WICKNC4.9"
I was aggravated and slowed down by cheap wick too.
These days, I tell myself, that I am not rich enough to afford cheap things anymore.

Attachments

• 20221102_163412_Solderwick.JPG
    20221102_163412_Solderwick.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 0
Today my engineer solder sucker arrived. It is really small 😅

20221104_222841.jpg

First impression:

The handling is good, can really be operated with only one hand. Seems quite stable. The suction power is good, better than my old one but I think the larger models have more power.

Ideal for use on the road, but for the somewhat problematic cases there are probably better solutions. Recoil ist pretty strong for my taste.

Price-performance ratio is good.

Last edited:
I have used a solder sucker for many years - and find it works best with a Hellermann rubber sleeve on the end. This seems to provide a better 'seal' ensuring that solder is removed from the pad hole effectively.

I have used a solder sucker for many years - and find it works best with a Hellermann rubber sleeve on the end. This seems to provide a better 'seal' ensuring that solder is removed from the pad hole effectively.
I agree, a flexible nozzle is better than the rigid ones.

Back