System 428. 8 Channel Modular Rack.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sahib said:
Thank you.

The part of the plan has been to provide a platform for an expandable, rack mount mixer. So, I hope this will stimulate new ideas in module design.

Cemal and I have discussed this many times in the last 6 months or so and I am very supportive of his efforts. I plan to use this platform to translate many of my existing tube designs so they can be plugged into this rack alongside regular semiconductor stuff.

Cheers

Ian

sahib said:
Probably its you but don't worry, you'll see them in your mailbox tonight.  ;D
Thank you Cemal,mail received.
Meanwhile the pics show up for me,I guess it was related to my iPad because they worked on other computers.
This looks really impressive,I'll be back to you with some questions soon.

Best regards,

Udo.

One thing after another I had completely forgotten about this project, even though I had finished it years ago. However, I am not sure if there still be interest to the rack. At the same time I am running out of space, so, I have decided to put the prototype rack up for sale in the BM. But doing so I will complete the documenting of the project.

As it goes, a picture speaks a thousand words. So, below pictures will speak a few thousands of that. However, just to refresh our minds that the rack is 4U high, the module width is 2" and the number of slots is 8, hence the name System 428.

Each slot has two independent inputs/outputs. Therefore the system supports either 8 stereo or 16 mono channels or a mixture of both.
1.jpg

Edge connector pin configuration.

7.jpg
Edge connector backplane front view.

428_Edge_Conn__PCB_2_1000px.jpg

2.JPG

DC power connections are made but I have not soldered the connectors. For solid state power (on the left) I have incorporates 9 pin EPIC type connector. For valve power (on the right) I have not selected anything yet.

3.JPG

Audio connections. Only slot 1 is shown. Slots 2-8 repeat.
Input / Output 1 are through XLR.
Input / Output 2 are through TRS.
Insert Send/Return are through TRS.
Input / Output 1 & 2 are also available at SubD25 connectors following the Tascam standard.

8.png

DC Power connections are made to the edge connector backplane. Ithe colour code is not set in concrete. I used whatever I had in hand.

9.jpg10.JPG

Latest posts

Back