Takstar CM 60 suggested mods/improvements (?)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A while ago, I did some measurements on the CM-60 and CM-63 and posted them in another thread. I'm reposting the file here. My conclusions and some suggestions for improvements are included in the file.

My CM-63 arrived so I opened your file (thanks a lot for sharing!) and took some measurements. And guess what! While your mic measured 1.56 V at the source and 5.62 V at the drain, mine measured at 3,11 V and 9,7 V respectively. With the pot (from the factory) turned all the way to the left.
Close, but no cigar. Turning right makes the drain voltage to go up and gate down. The drain and gate resistors need to be changed, as you said. But it shows how lousyly the mics are set up at the factory.

BTW the 63's PCB was much cleaner then the 60's. Not perfect but so much better.

Yeah, it's so strange what they do: they spend a lot of money on adjustable bias, conformal coating, RFI filter, XLR with spring-loaded ground connector and you name it, but then they screw it up by not adjusting the bias properly. They are soooo close to making a really good Schoeps-style microphone, but apparently have no eye for these kinds of details.

Jan

Yeah, it's so strange what they do: they spend a lot of money on adjustable bias, conformal coating, RFI filter, XLR with spring-loaded ground connector and you name it, but then they screw it up by not adjusting the bias properly. They are soooo close to making a really good Schoeps-style microphone, but apparently have no eye for these kinds of details.

Jan
I have an explanation. They know about this group and about MicBuilders group and others and they say to themselves: "We can make a perfect product. But why bother? They'd tweak it anyway." 😁

Back