Takstar CM-60 + 3U hyper

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CM-63 schematic can be found in the MicBuilders group when you open the link provided by bfbii in post #15.

Expecting to receive a CM-60 and CM-63 in a few weeks from now. I can take some noise and FR measurements, if anyone else hasn't shared them in the meantime. Would be interesting to compare with an AKG P170, which is most likely also made by Takstar, but having an AKG pricetag. Some pictures of the P170 attached. Much better build quality compared to MXL 603/604.

Jan

I am curious why you say it is likely the AKG P170 is manufactured by Takstar? The CM-60 and CM-63 have multiple design/appearance differences from the P170, which suggests the P170 is made by another outfit. Moreover, AKG is a long-established, once Austrian based, manufacturer, so I anticipate it had its own, or used another, perhaps older manufacturing plant. Are there independent reasons that suggest a manufacturing connection?

Sidebar Comment - I purchased my Takstar CM-60 for a mere $27 (including shipping) and consider it an exceptional value. The CM-63 typically costs between $42 and $50, which appears to be a good value. It is not the best microphone in my shack, yet surely good value for the money. I am sorry I did not get in on the recent U3 capsule group buy!

Happy trails to y'all. James

That's rather easy to see why when you zoom in on the P170 PCBA pictures that I shared and Stephanie's pictures of the CM-63 on groups.io. OK, the circuits are slightly different due to the different switches. But if you zoom in on the output stage, you'll notice the PCB layouts are exactly the same. Same copper patterns and part locations, same vias, same via locations, same vias tented or open, same via diameters, same layout style all over the PCB, same kind of datecode sticker on the same location and having the same font style, etc. And on the barcode sticker, the code starts with the first two characters of the manufacturer, maybe?

Jan

Attachments

• 20240107_175524.jpg
    20240107_175524.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 0
I asked 3U whether they sell the capsules in black, so they would match the CM-63. But they only sell nickle color, unfortunately. Other than MXL, does anyone know of other SDCs which match the nickle color of the 3U capsules? And have good quality threads, like the Takstars? Alctron T-02A maybe? I don't care about capsule or electronics quality.

Jan

Confirming the .5mm 3U Audio cap fits the Takstar CM-63 without issue. Cursory recording and all seems well (y)
Hi bfbiii may I ask you some questions please ?
* is it possible to use an 3U omni 5mm with the CM-63 ?
* what is the difference between CM-60 and CM-63 ?
* where buy 3U omni caps ?
I need a (very) good pair of omni SDC (because I love the "reality" of takes with omni > I record most classical music in churches...)
Best Regards

Last edited:
I don't own the omni capsule, but I see no reason it wouldn't work. The 0.5mm contact pin would make a connection. I guess the thing to consider is, theoretically, you could just turn the CM-63 into an omni by blocking the vents. On the other hand the 3U capsules are nice, and they have been designed with the vents in mind, so apparently that works too.

I don't own the omni capsule, but I see no reason it wouldn't work. The 0.5mm contact pin would make a connection. I guess the thing to consider is, theoretically, you could just turn the CM-63 into an omni by blocking the vents. On the other hand the 3U capsules are nice, and they have been designed with the vents in mind, so apparently that works too.
ok thank you ! just let you know that I tried one day to block the vents on a sE8 cadio, just thinking it would make an omni mic : that's really not the case at all 😅
yes I hope a very good cap. (like 3U) on a (good) regular "Schoeps-like" electronic will sound nice

Ok I found 3U omni 5mm on their ebay shop = $120 free shipping
Now gotta find a good preamp : Takstar CM-63 ? MXL-603 ? other ?
What do you advise ?
PS: I was about to buy a Line Audio OM1pair... until I found this thread :rolleyes:

edit : I just found an Alctron T-02 on wich 3U 5mm cap. would fit I guess...

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-02-26 à 18.03.08.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2024-02-26 à 18.03.08.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 0
Might be best to start a new topic about that so experts see what you are after and can weigh in. I am a fan of the Line Audio CM4, so I'd think Line Audio is a high standard to meet, especially with a basic cap/body Frankenmic. I've also heard some quality recording from the Clippy and Pluggy mics from Micbooster if you are after omnis on a budget. My two cents, but I suggest you hear from others.

Last edited:
Ok I found 3U omni 5mm on their ebay shop = $120 free shipping
Now gotta find a good preamp : Takstar CM-63 ? MXL-603 ? other ?
What do you advise ?
PS: I was about to buy a Line Audio OM1pair... until I found this thread :rolleyes:

edit : I just found an Alctron T-02 on wich 3U 5mm cap. would fit I guess...
I have an Alctron T-02 in the mail, as the black cm-63 does not match the nickel color of the 3U capsules. I hope it's the T-02 and 3U capsule are the same. And I hope it has the same quality threads ast the cm-60 and cm-63. MXLs are of abysmal quality. I would also rate the cm-63 electronics much higher than MXL. When you open the link in my post #27 above, you see why. You only have to adjust the bias properly.

Jan

@jp8 I don't really understand what you exactly mean (english isn't my first language, sorry)
wich body accept 3U 5mm capsules ? does Alctron T-02 accept them ? because me I don't care about the mix "dark body + silver capsule" > I want good sounding that's all...
CM-60 do accept 3U, as it is used in tests by [SIZE=4]joulupukki[/SIZE] (see graph below) but does CM-60 also accept Primo EM21 & EM23 ???
this attempt to make the right mix between donor body / electronics & polarisation / capsules (3U - MP - Primo) is really confusing...

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-02-27 à 23.57.56.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2024-02-27 à 23.57.56.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 0
ok thank you ! just let you know that I tried one day to block the vents on a sE8 cadio, just thinking it would make an omni mic : that's really not the case at all 😅
Did you block the holes on the back side of the actual capsule (which is what I think was meant) or the slots on the sides of the housing it's in?

@jp8 I don't really understand what you exactly mean (english isn't my first language, sorry)
wich body accept 3U 5mm capsules ? does Alctron T-02 accept them ? because me I don't care about the mix "dark body + silver capsule" > I want good sounding that's all...
CM-60 do accept 3U, as it is used in tests by [SIZE=4]joulupukki[/SIZE] (see graph below) but does CM-60 also accept Primo EM21 & EM23 ???
this attempt to make the right mix between donor body / electronics & polarisation / capsules (3U - MP - Primo) is really confusing...
Well, English isn't my first language either, so we share the same handicap😄.

CM-60 and CM-63 both accept the 3U capsules. CM-63 has the benefit of being insensitive to cell phone interference, adjustable JFET bias (which was incorrectly set in my mic) and having a pad switch, which the CM-60 does not have.

The Primo capsules wont fit. They have an outer thread on the capsule and are electret capsules instead of externally polarized, regular condenser mic capsules.

Whether the Alctron will accept 3U capsules I still have to find out. They have at least the same diameter. Will let you know once I have it. Btw, I do not have 3U capsules yet, but if the Takstars will fit on the Alctronbody, then for sure the Alctron will accept the 3U capsules.

Jan

I need a (very) good pair of omni SDC (because I love the "reality" of takes with omni

I recently purchased a pair of MXL 603/604 Omni SDC capsules on eBay for around $36 US. The included instructions describe the kit as having one (1) Omni and one (1) cardiod, but the sale was for two Omni capsules in a mini flight case. They sound good to me. THEY FIT MY TAKSTAR CM-60 BODY with smooth threading. Perhaps you can secure a set?

(The MXL 603/604 capsules are much nicer made than, say, the MXL 700 capsules which are supposed to have the same 22mm threading - but the 603/604 thread on much smoother and with ease, whereas the MXL 700 capsules and other model MXL same sime brass capsules, have more coarse threads and go on with some friction - usable but not nearly as slick as the 603/604 capsules.)

PS - There are times when I also like the sound of omnidirectional capsules, as they tend to capture more room ambiance which gives a sense of place. Not always helpful, but there ARE times when that conveys a sense of realism and environment. I think.

Happy trails to you. James

Last edited:
Well, English isn't my first language either, so we share the same handicap😄.

CM-60 and CM-63 both accept the 3U capsules. CM-63 has the benefit of being insensitive to cell phone interference, adjustable JFET bias (which was incorrectly set in my mic) and having a pad switch, which the CM-60 does not have.

The Primo capsules wont fit. They have an outer thread on the capsule and are electret capsules instead of externally polarized, regular condenser mic capsules.

Whether the Alctron will accept 3U capsules I still have to find out. They have at least the same diameter. Will let you know once I have it. Btw, I do not have 3U capsules yet, but if the Takstars will fit on the Alctronbody, then for sure the Alctron will accept the 3U capsules.

Jan
Ah... ok Jan now I see much better thank you !
so CM-63 + 3U = OK / CM-63 (or 60) + Primo EM21 or EM23 = won't fit / Alctron + 3U = to be confirmed... (I believe that you have ordered one Alctron and wait for delivery... ?)
Yeah you're right about Alctron + 3U : if the Takstar caps. fits the Alctron body then the 3U will too ! but the question is : does Alctron have a better electronic than the CM-63 ? who knows...
Let me ask you please what is your mic set-up : how much SDC @ LDC and wich brands
Best Regards

PS - There are times when I also like the sound of omnidirectional capsules, as they tend to capture more room ambiance which gives a sense of place. Not always helpful, but there ARE times when that conveys a sense of realism and environment. I think.

Happy trails to you. James
Yes I do prefer the sound of omni in my configuration : recording classical "ensemble" in churches or theaters is my main work or let's say "professionnal hobby"
So I'm thinkin' about some ways :
- Takstar CM-63 + 3U omni
- Line Audio OM1 (wich seems to be very appreciated !)
- Lem bodies + Primo EM23
For cardio I own an Okatva MK-012 pair with 3 patterns + a Warm Audio WA-84 cardio pair + a Superlux fixed ORTF (wich is a terrific mic for the price !!! I changed some capas in them and they sound amazing)
I do recommand the Superlux S502 ORTF (Mk1 not the Mk2) it's a must have in one's gear (95€ !)

Latest posts

Back