Telefunken ELA M 251 Clone Tube Microphone Build Thread (D-Ela M 251E)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went down to 680nF with the DC blocking capacitor because anything over 1µF was way too bass heavy in my opinion. Then I got the warm mids that were there into focus. As for the tube, I'll be honest - I've tried lot of tubes, built "triode switch" adapters between the tube and socket to test both triodes on the tubes, and burned them in for days. There are only two "available" NOS tubes that I think have that "expensive" sounding, direct character. They are the 5-star Mica GE6072 and the Siemens Halske ECC801S. There are a lot of noisy/crackly NOS GE6072s on the market though and they are all expensive. It can be an expensive and educational journey until you find the right one. All other tubes sounded dull, not detailed/washed out, lacked warmth, no character or were too loud. And the TF AC701 is more a expensive Lottery nowadays.The GE6072 has that sexy edge, is perfectly balanced, hard to explain. It's magical. The Siemens Halske mentioned is also excellent and more available, less noise, very proud sound. TF ECC801S were good but a bit too much noise.
Thanks, ill try that. What is yours grid resistor value ?

I think it's time to cut the counterfeit discussion out of this thread.

Deleted, sir !!!
Apologies !!!

I'd like to restate my belief that no one here would try to fool anyone by badging a microphone. The concern I wrote about was with the microphones down the line when the provenance is less clear. The builder sells to someone who sells to someone and at some point things are less clear as to who made what and when. Not everyone is as careful and honest as the folks here.

My reason for my response was to concur with you @Barry Hufker

25 years from now … it will be less clear as to the actual origin of some of the clones we are all currently building !

Please accept my apologies for unintentionally hijacking the thread … and my long winded response !

Best regards to all !!!

Back