Terminal Blocks for Quick Change Capsule/Transformer Connections?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wordsushi

GDIY Supporter
IMG_9495.jpg
If I wanted to build a testing mic, how inadvisable or egregious would it be to use terminal blocks, like those seen above, in order to be able to quick change capsule/transformer connections from the main board? Would this induce enough additional self-noise to effectively ruin any comparison?

For transformer comparisons they would probably be ok.
But for capsule connections I wouldn't use them. Or check the datasheet how high the insulation resistance is.
On the other hand, if you just want to evaluate the sound of different capsules, a little bit of noise will probably not get in the way for comparing.

For transformer comparisons they would probably be ok.
But for capsule connections I wouldn't use them. Or check the datasheet how high the insulation resistance is.
On the other hand, if you just want to evaluate the sound of different capsules, a little bit of noise will probably not get in the way for comparing.
That's a very good point about the capsule connection. Thank you.
just do it and report back
LOL. I'd rather not be the guinea pig on this. I was hoping one of you other DIY addicts may have tried something similar.

As I think about it, it's probably more reliable to just build 3 or 4 of the same mic with different cap/transformer to test side by side instead of trying to overthink it.

genuinely, what's the worst that could happen
C.H.U.D.

Truthfully, I'm less inclined these days to take a wild west approach to it. If my goal is to figure out my preferred capsule/transformer combination, I'd rather not do it within an experiment that itself could be compromised by the process being inefficient. If I were designing "product", I'd be more open to first figuring out if this approach works before attempting my component comparisons, but I'm now inclined to believe the clearer path to achieving my original goal is to just do it old school and build out complete mics to A/B side by side as opposed to trying to invent a new way to try and get to the same result.

Last edited:
You don’t really need those though. Part of the reason I like using teflon pins for capsule connections (Hi-z or not), is that I can solder the components to one side, and solder the capsule wires to the backs of the pins. They hold up to soldering/de-soldering much better than PCB pads, which allows me to easily try different capsules with a circuit. You could do the same thing with the transformer connections, and that approach wouldn’t compromise anything sonically.

Last edited:
You don’t really need those though. Part of the reason I like using teflon pins for capsule connections (Hi-z or not), is that I can wire the components to one side, and solder the capsule wires to the backs of the pins. They hold up to soldering/de-soldering much better than PCB pads, which allows me to easily try different capsules with a circuit. You could do the same thing with the transformer connections, and that approach wouldn’t compromise anything sonically.
That makes sense. My thought process here initially was to try and see if there was a no-solder approach that would work for quick change experimentation. After I put a 3d printer on my desk, I moved all my soldering stuff to a bin that has to be unpacked every time I need it. I mean, it only takes minutes to set it all up, but my brain was playing lazy thinking I could no-solder it.

BTW, I'm definitely building your circuit you posted in the other thread and that's what I was going to use to do this, but I'll just build a few of them instead.

Either way, I really appreciate the info from everyone, but I'm putting a pin in this idea and moving onto contemplating the next "what if" mic question on my list. That's what I love about this forum. It's helping me move forward quickly through my DIY ruminations to better pick the best use of my DIY time.

That makes sense. My thought process here initially was to try and see if there was a no-solder approach that would work for quick change experimentation. After I put a 3d printer on my desk, I moved all my soldering stuff to a bin that has to be unpacked every time I need it. I mean, it only takes minutes to set it all up, but my brain was playing lazy thinking I could no-solder it.

BTW, I'm definitely building your circuit you posted in the other thread and that's what I was going to use to do this, but I'll just build a few of them instead.

Either way, I really appreciate the info from everyone, but I'm putting a pin in this idea and moving onto contemplating the next "what if" mic question on my list. That's what I love about this forum. It's helping me move forward quickly through my DIY ruminations to better pick the best use of my DIY time.
I'd just remove the plastic part, solder the terminals to the pcb, and use that way.

Last edited:
Back