Testing equipment

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moses Dmj

i want to ask what tools or software did you use for testing your (DIY) gears?
parameters like SNR, frequency response, THD etc.
i use RMAA. the thing i don't know how to handle is measuring a mic-pre.
output of the soundcard goes to mic-in, output of the mic-pre goes to input of the soundcard.
on output of the soundcard i have line-level, so its tu much for an mic pre..

you can try and lower the level coming out of the sound card. do about 30dB from +4 and that should work for you.
As far as testing, I am fortunate to have an audio precision. It's hardware and software built specifically for test and measurement. Always had one at my audio jobs and decided to spoil myself and get one. It has been a great investment for me and done wonders.
But for the average DIYer it's way overkill.

Audio Precision System 1
Quantasylum QA401
HP 8903 (a bit outdated)
Audio Interface + REW or similar

Regarding the mic-pre, you can always use a resistive attenuator at the output of the mic pre if you want to crank the gain in the pre. It will not seriously deteriorate SNR if the signal output of the pre is hot.

I use a combination of REW (free software) and a Focusrite USB interface. I think it is the most cost effective pairing you can get and it is capable of excellent performance. Any USB interface will do but bear in mind it you want to measure above 20KHz you need to choose one that does not limit the bandwidth to 20KHz at higher sample rates

Cheers

ian

Modded Prism dScope III (my wife doesn't know the cost:)
You reminded me of a friend who used to spend all his money in audio gear and he would flat out lie to his wife, by saying that he got it from a friend that needed the money, or that someone paid him with gear, or whatever, ahahaah at one point he ran out of excuses.

You reminded me of a friend who used to spend all his money in audio gear and he would flat out lie to his wife, by saying that he got it from a friend that needed the money, or that someone paid him with gear, or whatever, ahahaah at one point he ran out of excuses.
I have 2house full with stuff so cannot deny:)

Latest posts

Back